What choke to you use for HD?

ERdept

At short distances, as in HD, the bigger the pattern the better. Never had to do it, but it's got to be tough trying to aim at someone you are trying to kill in the dark. With the adrenalin rush and the fear factor involved, the less aiming the better for me..

Guest cleefurd
Tighter is always better ... in my somewhat humble opinion.

Yes but I remember from the movies that you load whatever falls off the top shelf of the pantry, as you scramble on yer hands and knees to get the ones that are rolling around in the chaos, and what if one of them is a slug??? Wouldn't that bust yer choke?? Oh I get it, when the choke shatters the intruder gets the slug AND the shrapnel.

Yes but I remember from the movies that you load whatever falls off the top shelf of the pantry, as you scramble on yer hands and knees to get the ones that are rolling around in the chaos, and what if one of them is a slug??? Wouldn't that bust yer choke?? Oh I get it, when the choke shatters the intruder gets the slug AND the shrapnel.

Not just the choke, but the entire front end of the weapon blows off in the intruders face.

For maximum terminal effectiveness, it is also advisable to use a 10 gauge shell in a 12 gauge chamber, this way the maximum amount of the barrel is sent flying forward at the perp.

Guest cleefurd

That explains why the intruder flies up in the air, since anti-grav loads are not yet available in sub 10 ga loads.

Obviosuly there is humor here, but I feel that I must make note that slugs (foster) are just fine up to and including "FULL" choke.

Guest cleefurd

I concur, but I've seen one exception (rifled slugs) at Butterfield Range North of Las Cruces NM several years ago. We found the choke tube a few months later, but the barrel was a goner.

In fairness the choke did not shatter, it split axially and burgeoned the barrel, the subsequent slug took the choke down range with it.

Edited by cleefurd

I concur, but I've seen one exception (rifled slugs) at Butterfield Range North of Las Cruces NM several years ago. We found the choke tube a few months later, but the barrel was a goner.

In fairness the choke did not shatter, it split axially and burgeoned the barrel, the subsequent slug took the choke down range with it.

Could the choke have come unscrewed? Could a Sabot slug have found it's way into the chamber by mistake?

Guest cleefurd

The Sabot possibility never came up, but is possible. The choke was fully seated and expanded the barrel (bulged) when it split.

Odd. Maybe someone accidentally loaded one of the new M438 tungsten railgun rounds I read about in this months Shotgun News ... that would probably do it.

ETA - I feel the need to post this in honor of bad guys flying backwords from the sheer force of being shot ...

Edited by Duggan

So i can SAFELY conclude that there will not be any detrimental effects on the factory barrel and MOD choke when firing a 12 gauge rifled slug thru it. ??

Cos' correct me if i'm wrong, but i read on some official benelli website to use a I/Cyl or Cyl when firing slugs AND never to fire sabot slugs thru a M4 smoothbore.

Any experiences on this?

So i can SAFELY conclude that there will not be any detrimental effects on the factory barrel and MOD choke when firing a 12 gauge rifled slug thru it. ??

Cos' correct me if i'm wrong, but i read on some official benelli website to use a I/Cyl or Cyl when firing slugs AND never to fire sabot slugs thru a M4 smoothbore.

Any experiences on this?

Lots. My M4 shoots 3-4" groups offhand at 50 yards with foster slugs.

ETA - I feel the need to post this in honor of bad guys flying backwords from the sheer force of being shot ...

Wow. Nice compilation. If a .45 has the power to lift a man of the ground and knock him back 10 feet, what do we need shotguns for? Good thing I have a Sig p220 under the bed.:)

Odd. Maybe someone accidentally loaded one of the new M438 tungsten railgun rounds I read about in this months Shotgun News ... that would probably do it.

It also appears that you can load them in the morning and shoot all day.

My goodness. I didn't know they had Hi-cap 1911's back then.

Holy crap, I found people with good taste in movies. Starship Troopers, greatest movie ever. Along with H&K, and Team America.

Ahh....guns and movies. My favorite.

I've actually never watched the movie in full, upon skimming through it I didn't think it worthy of a "sit down and watch" movie ... perhaps I was wrong. I know it's a cult favorite, and it was funny from what I saw, I just watched it in my normal fashion (skip from scene to scene, watch entire movies in 20 mins or so).

H&K ... not so sure about them being the "greatest ever", but the UMP and MP5SD I shot were fun ...

And America, well, **** YEA!