2.75" OOO Buckshot Testing

Unobtanium

Well, I think I have found the load I am going to use. Remington OOO Buckshot at the muzzle carries over 270# of energy per pellet, at 50 yards it is still carrying over 170# of energy per pellet (OO buck carries around only 195# energy per pellet...AT THE MUZZLE. And with OOO you only give up 1 pellet, plus I find it patterns a wee tighter and penetration is much improved) and these 2.75" shells pack 8 pellets. They go through 1-1.25 2x4's in my testing, and will penetrate a metal car door. Recoil isn't bad, about par for buckshot, the total shot charge, assuming 70gr pellets, is 560gr, or 1.3oz.

This shot size will provide through-through penetration on all but the largest individuals. It will penetrate LESS 2x4/wood and sheel-metal than a .45ACP JHP. I have not tested on milk-jugs or phone books yet.

Here are typical patterns. 3 shots at 25 yards, 1 shot at 25 yards, and 1 shot at 50 yards. This shell is fickle at times, one RARE 25y target had only 5 pellets on it, but 4 of those were TOUCHING and dead-center. It tends to throw 4-6 pellets (usually 5) into a 5x5" area at 25 yards, with the other 3 being slight outliers from the group, total pattern usuallt 12-16" at 25 yards. At 50 yards, those same central pellets are still on paper, with the outliers off paper a short ways. (note, I am using some SMALL paper. I really need larger paper).

24kz8g6.jpg

2vaedms.jpg

My reason for preferring this load is the penetration it offers make it suitable for any threat that is not wearing body armor of hiding under cover. It will break arm bones. It will go through thick jackets. It will penetrate a large/aggressive dog's skull (extrapolation based on metal/2x4 testing. I did not try this. Although there is a poodle in my apt. complex that is loud...). It will do what needs to be done.

*All testing done with Briley MOD choke and Benelli M4S90.

Edited by Unobtanium

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter, but 18.5''.

This is the last question I will answer for someone who didn't read the post.

Does your gun have a loud safety that scares away game?

How does the stock come off, I took the rubber buttpad off and it still won't budge!

Why is Obama killing America?

Does this skirt make my ass look fat?

That's a pretty convincing argument for OOO. Do you happen to know the velocity of the OO which you used to compare the energy to OOO? Some of the OO is considerably hotter than normal full-charge loads, for instance Hornady TAP at 1600 FPS. That OO load would carry considerably more energy than the normal 1250 to 1350 FPS loads.

It also makes me wonder what the rationale is behind the Army's and Marines' exclusive use of OO.

Edited by jantonio54

That is pretty impressive for the yardage.

If you test any of the other constrictions I would be very interested in hearing the comparison in patterns.

I had a Cylinder choke do as well/better one time. It was stock Benelli. Then I had a Carlsons Extended Full that sucked. Then I had a Trulock IC that was pure IC. Performed just like it should, not very tight patterns. It really depends on the choke/weapon I have found. INDIVIDUALLY. You cannot say "M4+Briley MOD=Unobtanium's pictures. One must test each and every combination.

How does the stock come off, I took the rubber buttpad off and it still won't budge!

OMG!!!!

I just shot about 10cc of urine ( pissed my pants for those unenlightened)

Duggan you're killing me and BTW the skirt has no bearing on how big your ass is...

Mike

That's a pretty convincing argument for OOO. Do you happen to know the velocity of the OO which you used to compare the energy to OOO? Some of the OO is considerably hotter than normal full-charge loads, for instance Hornady TAP at 1600 FPS. That OO load would carry considerably more energy than the normal 1250 to 1350 FPS loads.

It also makes me wonder what the rationale is behind the Army's and Marines' exclusive use of OO.

Yeah...but Hornady's OO 1600fps buckshot patterned like **** too. I was lucky to have 1 to 2 on target past 30 yards. At 25 yards it would put 50% on a 16x16" target. Not for me.

However, here is energy figures for OO buck at 1275 and 1600fps. Respectively. At the muzzle.

195#

307#

One must take into account, however, that a sphere won't hold energy for crap down-range.

That 307# will quickly be "overtaken" by the 270# energy as the lower BC of the OO buckshot compared to the OOO buckshot does not allow for as much retained velocity. I cannot find the BC for OOO buckshot, but the BC for OO is .047

Yeah...but Hornady's OO 1600fps buckshot patterned like **** too. I was lucky to have 1 to 2 on target past 30 yards. At 25 yards it would put 50% on a 16x16" target. Not for me.

However, here is energy figures for OO buck at 1275 and 1600fps. Respectively. At the muzzle.

195#

307#

One must take into account, however, that a sphere won't hold energy for crap down-range.

That 307# will quickly be "overtaken" by the 270# energy as the lower BC of the OO buckshot compared to the OOO buckshot does not allow for as much retained velocity. I cannot find the BC for OOO buckshot, but the BC for OO is .047

That's interesting, understandable, and still a convincing argument for 000. But 25 to 30 yards seems like fairly long range for a HD shotgun, unless you're planning on nailing them at the mailbox on the assumption they're there to break in.

That's interesting, understandable, and still a convincing argument for 000. But 25 to 30 yards seems like fairly long range for a HD shotgun, unless you're planning on nailing them at the mailbox on the assumption they're there to break in.

The shotgun has more uses than just HD. I view it as an all-around tool. For use on vermin, Deer, etc. etc.

Obama is killing America because your ass DOES look fat in that skirt.

A reader asked, with all the information available, why does the Army and Marine Corp still stay with 00 buck. During the Vietnam war, the military tried many different size buckshot all the way down to #4 buckshot, slugs and fleshette rounds. The bottom line was, irregardless of science and ballistic information, 00 buck out performed all other types of shotgun shells in the environment of Vietnam against the enemy our soilders were facing at the time.

Of course, the environment in your living room and what the local deer population uses may be different. I personally have seen the end results of #6 birdshot at 5 feet and #7.5 birdshot at 10 feet (both accidental shootings but more realistic HD distances) against persons clothed with hunting apparell and it wasn't pretty.

The bottom line isn't so much as birdshot verses buckshot, or what size buckshot has or maintains terminal velocity, but rather to have a firearm available to use.

I believe it was the famous Jeff Cooper that said "use the largest firearm you can safely handle".

A reader asked, with all the information available, why does the Army and Marine Corp still stay with 00 buck. During the Vietnam war, the military tried many different size buckshot all the way down to #4 buckshot, slugs and fleshette rounds. The bottom line was, irregardless of science and ballistic information, 00 buck out performed all other types of shotgun shells in the environment of Vietnam against the enemy our soilders were facing at the time.

Of course, the environment in your living room and what the local deer population uses may be different. I personally have seen the end results of #6 birdshot at 5 feet and #7.5 birdshot at 10 feet (both accidental shootings but more realistic HD distances) against persons clothed with hunting apparell and it wasn't pretty.

The bottom line isn't so much as birdshot verses buckshot, or what size buckshot has or maintains terminal velocity, but rather to have a firearm available to use.

I believe it was the famous Jeff Cooper that said "use the largest firearm you can safely handle".

From what I understand, even at the highest levels of government, #7 birdshot has been effectively used in an anti-personel role. Dick Cheney is an authority on this.

From what I understand, even at the highest levels of government, #7 birdshot has been effectively used in an anti-personel role. Dick Cheney is an authority on this.

I have a cop friend that has said the same thing. not the dick cheney part.

let everybody else pay top dollar for buckshot. #7 birdshot is just fine for hd and you can buy a lot more for less. stock up. I paid around 30.00 for a box of 250 shells at the last show. i can shoot it all day and not worry about the cost.

Edited by darkjedi351

let everybody else pay top dollar for buckshot. #7 birdshot is just fine for hd and you can buy a lot more for less. stock up. I paid around 30.00 for a box of 250 shells at the last show. i can shoot it all day and not worry about the cost.

My post was a joke, not to be taken seriously.

this is no joke. my buddy is a deputy with the local SO and a master of arms in the navy.

he's done 2 tours in kuwait, working at a us prison guarding our soldiers that have comitted crimes while deployed. he's also been fbi & army trained to be a weapons instructor and a range master.

for normal in house short range birdshot does just fine and it won't go through the walls to kill your kids while they're sleeping.

or in unobtanium's case his appartment complex's neighbors. :)

Edited by darkjedi351