choke question

Trapshooter1

I was wandering if a light modified choke would pattern tight enough for trap shooting I normally use a modified choke but I am wanting to get some new chokes does anyone use a light modified choke for trap shooting? Keep in mind I am talking about trap where your 16 yards from the trap house. Also I normally shoot 1 1/8 oz. loads but I will use some 1 oz. loads as well will they pattern tight enough in a light modified to never miss because of a loose pattern?

Edited by Trapshooter1

Chokes are funny. You can call them whatever you want, but in the end, you don't really know what you have until you see what the pattern looks like on pattern paper.

That being said...generally:

Light modified is OK if you tend to shoot fast.

If not, use a modified.

Generally I shoot a modified for 16 yard singles. I shoot 1 ounce of 8-1/2 shot.

You will find that most trap shooters prefer a tighter choke. (Leo Harrison is often quoted as having said, "you can use any choke you want, as long as its a full choke.")

If you use a light modified and find you are "drawing dust" or "little chips" and not getting good solid breaks, use something tighter.

I am only going to get one choke to save money do you think a modified will work for handicap and doubles or should i get an improved modified?

How far back in handicap?

If you're only shooting 20-22 yards, modified is (typically) enough.

If you're going to shoot at 25 yards, an improved modified might be a better choice.

27? Full.

Depending on who you get your chokes from, there's almost no difference between a light full and an improved modified.

Kinda splitting hairs there.

I know that I will get a briley but I checked their website and an IM has a .025 constriction and a LF has a .030 constriction so not much of a difference. But you said full for 26 and 27 and I was wandering if a light full would work.

a-s-sume makes an a-s-s out of u and me

I know that I will get a briley but I checked their website and an IM has a .025 constriction and a LF has a .030 constriction so not much of a difference. But you said full for 26 and 27 and I was wondering if a light full would work.

Probably.

When you get to 27, your success, or lack thereof, has more to do with you than the choke you choose.

I've only gotten as far back as 25 in ATA (now at 24.)

i thought patterns depend on the shotshells??

Patterns depend on the diameter of the barrel, how much lead is in the shotshell, the size of the shot, the design of the wad, and the choke and probably something I didn't mention.

Patterns depend on the diameter of the barrel, how much lead is in the shotshell, the size of the shot, the design of the wad, and the choke and probably something I didn't mention.

I don't know if pressure ( powder charge) has to do with patterning as well but I'm sure it would.