20ga Model Graduate? or Stay?

NovaIdea

Greetings!

I got my first gun ever on the way to a goose hunt as a present in 2004.. A 20ga nova pump. I love my little gun but I am looking into getting an upgrade, A better waterfowling machine for myself. I work at a store that sells firearms so I try to pick brains and shoulder a few. But I get teased for shooting a 20ga and shooting a Benelli. I can handle the beef, it comes with the job and I can carve it just as fast as they can kill it, that 20ga just means I have to shoot better :p ..jk. But I like that its small, as Im all 5'2''. It fits me. And Id like to stick loyal with my first love.. Benelli.

I wouldnt mind shooting a 12ga. But they all feel so topheavy, too long, too big, unnatural to hold. I want to know if there is a gun out there I should consider for my size/ use. However I often wonder if Im missing out on some 12ga knockdown power that the blind buddies are using. I would graduate to a 12ga if theres something that fits my needs. If theres an awesome 20ga version I should look at let me know about that too.

What should I look at that would fit my needs?

Thank You

goosebands.gif

If the 20 ga. is what you like, stick with it. I would consider going to the autoloader as shown above. I have a 20 ga. Legacy and it is a shooting machine. Maybe a little too flashy for a duck blind, but there are other 20 ga.'s in different variations, I'm sure you can find one that fits your fancy. Good luck..

If you're thinking of an auto you could check out the Cordoba and still keep it in 20 gauge: http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_cordoba.php

Benelli has several choices for 20 gauge that would be an upgrade to your Nova. The Nova was my first shotgun as well, in 20 gauge also.

I now have a Beretta Xtrema 2, 12 gauge, and a Browning Cynergy, 12 gauge. If you like the smaller guns try an O/U - shoulder the Browning Cynergy. You might like it. Brand loyality is awesome, but find what fits and works for you.

Nothing wrong with a twenty for serious hunting duty when properly loaded.

I'm lucky enough to have an identical gun to M1014's (thanks bro) and love it. Started out shooting a single shot .410, then went to an 870 12ga pump, then to o/u 20ga's. I like the auto's & o/u guns best, but that little 20ga Nova may be something you wish you had kept 20 years from now.

You also need to think about any regrets you may have 20 years down the road from getting rid of this gift (speaking from experience).

Anyone giving you crap about 20ga's being for sissies is just full of crap and I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The only thing I'd want a dedicated 12 for is defense (or combat) given the wide variety of accesories available and special purpose loadings (breacher etc).

Don't ever feel pressured into making decisions like this for the wrong reasons.

With any 20, you can kill any, deer, duck, turkey, dove, quail or phesant, just as dead, just as far, as you can with a 3 1/2" mag. Bigger is not, better, as some people think. Been there, done that.

2 yrs. ago in Ill. I was killing ducks with a 20ga. 391 Eurika, Enviro Metal 4s as far & deader than by buddies shooting 3 1/2 2s. Why?

BOB

With any 20, you can kill any, deer, duck, turkey, dove, quail or phesant, just as dead, just as far, as you can with a 3 1/2" mag. Bigger is not, better, as some people think. Been there, done that.

2 yrs. ago in Ill. I was killing ducks with a 20ga. 391 Eurika, Enviro Metal 4s as far & deader than by buddies shooting 3 1/2 2s. Why?

BOB

Bigger is not necessarily better, but it can be. A little more lead or steel in the air can do nothing but help. It is certainly not a replacement for good shooting but a few extra pellets is not going to hurt anything either. If your not on what your shooting at, all the pellets in the world won't help. I shoot both a 12 and a 20 and love them both. Shoot straight..

Nothing wrong with a twenty for serious hunting duty when properly loaded.

I'm lucky enough to have an identical gun to M1014's (thanks bro) and love it. Started out shooting a single shot .410, then went to an 870 12ga pump, then to o/u 20ga's. I like the auto's & o/u guns best, but that little 20ga Nova may be something you wish you had kept 20 years from now.

You also need to think about any regrets you may have 20 years down the road from getting rid of this gift (speaking from experience).

Anyone giving you crap about 20ga's being for sissies is just full of crap and I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The only thing I'd want a dedicated 12 for is defense (or combat) given the wide variety of accesories available and special purpose loadings (breacher etc).

Don't ever feel pressured into making decisions like this for the wrong reasons.

Who said i was getting RID of the first one? :D never!

but i do think i would like to switch to gas, and probly an auto

:) Good!

Go for the auto, you'll love it.

Have not tried one of the Benelli gas autos yet, but love the recoil operated one I have.

I enjoyed shooting (sorry to mention) the Rem 1100's I have handled and there is a difference in recoil between the gas & recoil operated guns.

Shopping around is half the fun. Some good deals on used guns in outstanding shape can be had too on Gunbroker & other sites.