M4 2 and 3/4 low brass loads??

jhedge05

I just bought a benelli M1014 (for $1100 used:) and took it to the range for the first time the other day. I had some issues with loading when using low brass 2 3/4 field shot. It ran them ok for the most part but probably jammed about 5 times on me. Works flawlessly with more powerful loads but i was just wondering if this is a normal problem to have due to the low power of the load.

I just bought a benelli M1014 (for $1100 used:) and took it to the range for the first time the other day. I had some issues with loading when using low brass 2 3/4 field shot. It ran them ok for the most part but probably jammed about 5 times on me. Works flawlessly with more powerful loads but i was just wondering if this is a normal problem to have due to the low power of the load.

How many rounds are through the gun? Is it has less than 200 rounds through it, go out and shoot it some more.

Some, about half it seems, m4s have problems running light stuff in the first few hundred rounds. Mine did.

After the break-in, 99% of cases seem to go away ...

If the gun has considerable rounds through it then the break in is not the culprit, clean the heck out of the gas pistons and bolt carrier, and then use a LOT of lube on the bolt carrier and the bolt carrier rails.

Do more shooting, report back.

Also, you didn't specify what type of "jams" you experienced. That will change the diagnosis perhaps.

You bought an absolute lemon, get rid of it quick- I will sacrifice and give you $500 for it to cushion the blow. :D

It could be that it isn't broken in yet. It looks barely used and i only put about 50 rounds through it. The jams experienced were the bolt would close quicker than the shell could eject and they were closing on the empties or the empty never actually ejected. It only happened about 4 times but i just wanted to see if it was normal. I'll lube it up and put some more rounds through it then report back. Another excuse to go to the range :)

Mine didn't like birdshot at first either, but I just rattled off a few rounds of 7 and 1/2 s the other day without a problem (I have less than 200 rounds through mine). Yours is probably just a little new and stiff...do as the others said with the oil and leaning into it and it should resolve itself....

• 2 weeks later...

Might have some heavy grease in the recoil tube. Clean it off with Gun Scrubber, give it a light follow-up lube with BreakFree CLP or other very light oil. Try storing your gun for a week or so with the bolt locked back. Try a very careful, light polishing of the hammer bearing surface (that rubs on the bolt carrier) and the rail-bearing surfaces of the BCG. I did all of this to solve the exact problem you're having, and it worked. Stick with it, you will get it resolved. I advise against lightening the recoil spring. You'll end up with failures to feed the fresh shells on the rebound.