Top Posters In This Topic

what i have ordered to date most of it today..:D

GGG tactical bolt release

meprolight ghost sight

GGG tactical bolt release

Sidearmor rail interface + 4 shot holder+ short rails 3 weeks out

kips ti extend barrel 4-6 weeks out

flash light dont know

hope everything comes in my dont know im doing a little x-mas shopping for my self ...got the big red :mad: when i got my m4 ..

Days of wait i think they told me the 29..but thats more then 10 day wait in california ..and i live in cali i think it mite be the 22nd of this month need to call tomorrow..as what im going to mount im not sure got read more of these threads .not sure what flash light i want i was looking at that streamlight TRL-1 c4 with switch .

Days of wait i think they told me the 29..but thats more then 10 day wait in california ..and i live in cali i think it mite be the 22nd of this month need to call tomorrow..as what im going to mount im not sure got read more of these threads .not sure what flash light i want i was looking at that streamlight TRL-1 c4 with switch .

The Streamlight pressure switch rail mounting kit secures the switch very securely.

DSC00438.jpg

Later,

Hookster :)

hookster what flashlight you got running on your m4 ? im looking at the surefire m600c ..u got a nice set up going there..what are the taps that go in between rails called ?

Hey Thunder,

It's a Streamlight TLR-1 135 lumen with the remote switch backplate. I'm not sure what you mean about taps. Do you mean the ladder rail covers? Here are a couple more pics of the light

benellim411707017.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

Later,

Hookster

Hey Thunder,

It's a Streamlight TLR-1 135 lumen with the remote switch backplate. I'm not sure what you mean about taps. Do you mean the ladder rail covers? Here are a couple more pics of the light

benellim411707017.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

Later,

Hookster

yah the ladder covers ..u got a web site where i can find those ? how do u like that flash light does it activate with one touch or do you have to hold to keep on ? ..im looking at the same unit you have ..as well as a surefire m600c thats well under 160.00 new in box ..thanks for the quick repleys ..

yah the ladder covers ..u got a web site where i can find those ? how do u like that flash light does it activate with one touch or do you have to hold to keep on ? ..im looking at the same unit you have ..as well as a surefire m600c thats well under 160.00 new in box ..thanks for the quick repleys ..

The switch activates the light only when you hold it down. If you want the light on continuously without holding the switch, you just flip the switch on the backplate. I use ERGOs and I also use a section of their wire looms on the switch side. Here are links to those:

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4378-3PK&storeid=1&image=lowprocvr1109.gif&CFID=37904886&CFTOKEN=90156085

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4380&storeid=1&image=loproloom.gif&CFID=37904886&CFTOKEN=90156085

I really like the Streamlight. One advantage it has over the Surefire is that the switch plug has a 90 degree plug so there's a minimum of wire hanging out to snag on anything. The Surefire has a straight plug so you end up with a loop of wire behind the light.

Later,

Ok, a little bit more information as it comes in. Ive tried KRS under both Win XP and Vista and have to say it performs much better under Vista than it does under XP. In Vista Im getting about 30-40 FPS where as with XP that fram rate is almost cut in half. Not sure why, but I think Im going to keep running rail simulator under vista for now.

so im at work i pick up my phone kip at carriercomp calls says your ext barrel is in stock and ready to ship..it will be there this week....guess i dont have to wait the 4-6 week wait...:D ..all smiles here.. only placed order 2 days ago ..

Did you ask him when the bolt handles will be ready? :D

hookster no info .guy sounded busy said it busy just on the ext barrels alone..with x-mas coming around i dont see him doing much other then the barrels with ppl wanting those in for x-mas gifts ..aye i was looking at that flash light you got i think thats what im going with as well but i want a swtch closer to my shooting hand ..something like strangerDanger did on his..i mite do the same ..the tlr-1 c4 puts out more lumens then the surefire 600c ..and its about 120.00 bux cheaper..like both ...how much did you get the switch on the back to add your extended switch? Hookster :confused:

Just for info, the Scout light is considered to have an output of 175 - 190 lumens. Same for the X300 and X400.

StangerDanger...the surefire website is giving a 120 lumens Max output..not talking bad about the M600c...i do like the M600c..you got that link on your write up of the grip handle mod you did on yours ?? how long is the cable on your switch? that you ran from your flash to your grip..jocking your set up man ..copying your m4:D

hookster no info .guy sounded busy said it busy just on the ext barrels alone..with x-mas coming around i dont see him doing much other then the barrels with ppl wanting those in for x-mas gifts ..aye i was looking at that flash light you got i think thats what im going with as well but i want a swtch closer to my shooting hand ..something like strangerDanger did on his..i mite do the same ..the tlr-1 c4 puts out more lumens then the surefire 600c ..and its about 120.00 bux cheaper..like both ...how much did you get the switch on the back to add your extended switch? Hookster :confused:

Here's the backplate and switch/mounting kit links

http://www.botachtactical.com/sttlrba.html

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=streamlight+pressure+switch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17683883193663934887&ei=mw8nS8j2HIiesgOaw6m9DA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CB0Q8wIwBA#ps-sellers

You might want to try mounting the switch to the left Sidearmor rail first before you try the much more complicated operation of placing it in the pistol grip area.

The left side mounting is very comfortable to use. It's out of the way when you don't need it but it's right there and comfortable to use when you need it

benellim411707008.jpg

Later,

Hookster

I'll find the link at home. It's tough to copy and paste url's on my *******. It is rather involved to do the mods. I used the 40" switch. Excess is stored inside the buttstock. There wasn't much extra really.

Surefire has changed how they rate lumen output recently. I have two ED2 Combat light's that are rated at 150 and 200 lumens. Both are generally the same output. Both have identical runtimes. I bet we will see the X series and Scout lights re-released with the uprated output. I expect to see some of it at SHOT this year.

The flashlight nerds have a lumen meter and that is where I got the actual ratings from. Another thing that is important is the reflector. The Surefire TMI reflector will throw the beam further. When we compared the X series to the 125 lumen XTI Procyon weapon lights, the Surefire was an easy winner in every field but price.

Both the Scout and the x series look the same when it comes to beam quality and brightness. Even though the Scout is rated a little higher, it is impossible to tell. Battery freshness dictates the brightness more than the difference between the two.

Hookster is right about the plug. The 90 degree angle plug is a better design.

I looked for the tape switch mod run down I did, I think it was in the thread about the Aimpoint T1.

I'll give it a basic run down on what was involved with some pictures.

I bought the Surefire Scout light from LaRue in desert tan. It came with the LaRue mount, a 7" tape switch and a tail cap switch. I sold the 7" tape switch on Gunbroker for about 40 bucks and bought a 40" tape switch from Surefire.

On the factory M4 pistol grip stock, the rubberized grip simply pulls off. It is tension fit to the stock. Just work it back and forth.

3615581677_a684699a5b.jpg

3616400652_8e2fb6ef4f.jpg

Notice that the pistol grip itself is hollow. The hole does not go all the way through into the interior of the stock.

Here, I used a dremel with a pen attachment to cut the shape of the tape switch out from the stock. Remember that the pistol grip itself is hollow, so you can only remove so much material. For peace of mind, I filled mine with epoxy and glued a strip of plastic or a piece of metal (I forget) against the side I was cutting against for support.

3628605210_1ab54ccfa1.jpg

If you look at the tape switch, you'll notice where the wire enters the pad. This portion of the switch does not activate the light. So I wanted it pushed up under the overhang of the pistol grip as high as possible. I wanted the activation of the light to be under my middle finger and ring finger. Not at my pinkie.

So I cut under the top edge of the stock so the switch and the wire would tuck up under. You can see where I milled a wire groove along the back of the grip and into the .5" hole in the stock.

Placement of this hole was important. You do not want to impede where the receiver extension slides in. It must be .5" because that is how big the head of the tape switch connector is.

You must remove the butt pad from the stock in order to route the wire through the interior of the stock. There are two small holes on the rubber stock. A philips screw driver will push into them and allow you to remove it.

Placement of the top hole was key also to minimize how much of a wire groove must be cut. Careful not to impede the receiver extension again.

3627792719_3173024d81.jpg

3631488961_627f6129c5.jpg

Here is the Scout Light parallel with the barrel. Note how obstruction free the handguards are. As Martha the Nazi Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."

3631489031_40823ecc3b.jpg

Here, the rubberized grip was slipped back over the tape switch. You can barely tell it is there. Before I finished it up completely, I filled the portion of the stock I undercut to seat the switch higher up with epoxy to add support. The wire is pretty much in there forever unless I want to cut it out. The added strength was worth the trade off.

Beneath the tape switch, I have velcro. This keeps the switch in place while you slide the rubber grip over it. You can adjust how sensitive you want the pressure switch by placing things in between the rubber and the switch. The edges of the switch can be raised with thick wire or wooden dowels to build a bump guard around the switch. We're talking .1" diameter material. That way if you lay the weapon down or have it slung, chances of it being accidentally turned on are reduced.

3774660494_8fe4d738a9.jpg

Here are the Ergo wire loom ladder rails.

4117045418_79279e57a1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2695/4117045418_79279e57a1_b.jpg

In the large photo, you can see the skateboard tape I used to cover the exposed wire along the stock. I used the small squares sold by Rainier. They were developed for the Magpul Pmags. This worked better than expected.

The only section I don't like is around the rear sight.

Overall, I can control my lights output exactly like a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

StangerDanger thank for your help as well as hookster you guys are great with all the great info ..ill check that link on the t1 for more directions on that light grip mod you did..i think im going to bust it out.. on my m4. looks like my sidearmor shipped out today be here sometime this week...get my M4 this coming monday 2pm release shooting 4-5 pm ..:D after i hook my m4 up..or should i shoot it just stock then load all the goodies ..

StangerDanger thank for your help as well as hookster you guys are great with all the great info ..ill check that link on the t1 for more directions on that light grip mod you did..i think im going to bust it out.. on my m4. looks like my sidearmor shipped out today be here sometime this week...get my M4 this coming monday 2pm release shooting 4-5 pm ..:D after i hook my m4 up..or should i shoot it just stock then load all the goodies ..

You might want to shoot it stock first and get a feel for how it handles before you pile on the goodies. Then you can gauge a little better how the add-ons affect the handling.

Happy Blastin'