Choose your HD weapon...BUT, out of only 3 choices...

shotgunNoob

For HD, which would you choose?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For HD, which would you choose?

• .357 Magnum revolver
    • .45 ACP semi-auto
    • 12 ga. shotgun (pump)

This is not exactly a "Benelli" specific question (of course), but a question born out of curiosity. Which weapon (in the poll) would you choose for HD if you could only have access to one and one only? Why? Please, no substitutes...pick from these three choices only.

Keep in mind the idea of accessibility/practicality concerning close quarters situations.

.357 Magnum- Less capacity, very powerful but LOUD...requires little maintenance, minimal ammo compatability issues (if any), more apt to function reliably when dirty, no need for swapping ammo/mags, not affected by "setback" as no round needs chambering, will fire regardless of hold/angle (not inertia dependent), offers the advantage of "point and shoot" w/o the need for "chambering," (thus, quick engagement)

.45 ACP- Greater capacity, very effective, requires maintenance, can be affected by ammo (must be "proven"), more apt to malfunction when dirty, possible need for swapping ammo and/or mags (debatable), can malfunction if "limp wristed" or if slide comes in contact with another object, must decide if round is to be chambered or all rounds left in mag (either option can affect speed), if round is chambered enough...it may encounter setback

12 ga. shotgun- very, very effective, heavy, cumbersome, great for open quarters...not so great given tight quarters, requires actuation of pump to load round (unless stored with round in chamber), safety needs to be disengaged (unless stored with safety off), spring loaded feeding mechanism (unless directly dropping one round in the chamber) can malfunction, limited capacity, generally requires regular ammo swapping due to the affects of spring compression on the ammo itself

These points are just generalities and keep in mind that I love and use them all. Personally, I prefer the .45 ACP or shotgun (due to their power...and heck, they are fun to shoot), but the .357 Magnum just seems more "practical" when speed/quick attainment/mobility/ease of use/more forgiving maintenance requirements concerning ammo/weapon becomes the primary focus. Hence, for most occasions, the .357 Magnum revolver (stainless finish, 4" barrel) is my HD weapon of choice.

Edited by shotgunNoob

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted 45 ACP because of the semi-auto function. I have never had any problems with semi pistols using factory ammo. Same goes for shotguns, I would have chosen the shotgun if you gave the semi auto option.

In a high-stress situation I want point and shoot with lots of ammo just in case, I'm counting on the ammo and gun being more reliable than me. The trigger travel and limited ammo knocks the revolver down, and the pumping of the shotgun moves that to second. Semi auto pistol can have 10+ rounds of ammo and all I have to do is pull the trigger. :D

Semi auto pistol can have 10+ rounds of ammo and all I have to do is pull the trigger. :D
So, Im assuming you are among the "cocked and locked" crowd? Some prefer this method, others dont...depending on various circumstances. For those who keep semi-autos for HD, sans round in the chamber..such as myself, the revolver is much faster. Ditto for a shotgun requiring "actuation" prior to firing.

I cant help but think that, during a potential struggle, should the slide of a semi-auto hit a body part upon firing, it would more than likely jam the weapon....not so with the revolver. If 10+ rounds (of the semi-auto) are reduced to one or two, due to some unforeseen failure, then 6 rounds (within the revolver) just may become a Godsend. Not to mention, if someone makes it into the bedroom, I personally feel that the speed of the revolver would trump any weapon out there...unless one keeps their semi-auto with the chamber loaded...no safety or safety off.

Now, for "barricade" type situations, Id opt for the shotgun without a doubt...given enough time.

Edited by shotgunNoob

So, Im assuming you are among the "cocked and locked" crowd?

Not totally, to me it depends how likely you are going to need to use it.

In real life I live in town in a small house in a decent neighborhood. Crime is pretty low in the area so I'm not really worried, in fact I wouldn't give a second thought about not having an HD weapon there. But since I have a nice M2 anyway I figured it could serve a dual role. So I put 5 rounds of 00 in it with the chamber empty (mag extension). As it turns out this house has one hallway that leads to the bedrooms and I can see a good portion of the hallway from my room so I figured if something bad happens I just chamber the first of 5 and sit...I'm not going to be a house hunter as it were.

Now if I lived in a high crime neighborhood where breakins were common, I would likely keep a round in the chamber and get a real HD gun instead of just dual purposing my M2 :p

The AK option was not included in the poll for some reason. Make mine an AK with a 75 round Norinco wind-up drum.

The AK or AR-15 for that matter, was not included due to vast penetration issues. Very effective weapons to be sure, but also quite unrealistic for HD use, IMHO.

Now, if we did not live in such a litigious society, then I might consider such an option. Regardless, if I have time to grab a rifle, then I have time to grab a 12 ga. shotgun. When it comes down to long guns + QC, I prefer the shotgun.

Edited by shotgunNoob

As part of the "cocked and locked" crowd, I would always choose a rifle if given a chance. When all options are compared, rifles ALWAYS come out on top. They are simply better, and more effective. The problem is the user, not the rifle.

That said, my first line of defense is a glock 19 and a surefire E2D-LED, glock loaded 15+1 with DPX hp rounds. It sits on my windowsill at all times, if my door comes crashing down I am grabbing it and dumping rounds ...

If I have time, and feel I need it, my m4 is right inside my closet, leaning up against the corner, loaded with LE127 buck.

If I really feel like the zombies are coming, I will strap on the chest rig/plate carrier with 2 lvl 4 rifle plates, 8 30 round mags in pouches, and grab the LMT MRP. Mags are loaded with TAP 5.56 75 grain rounds.

But out of all those, the pistol is the fastest, solely because I don't leave my loaded shotgun lying next to my bed.

If I had time to get it, I would use it ... but currently I don't even have a light on it, so I'd probably stick to my glock 19 and surefire.

Also, I would put on my warpaint and tie a bloody rag around my head, and then run out of my room bump firing while screaming obscenities and taking the lords name in vain.

Edited by Duggan

The AK or AR-15 for that matter, was not included due to vast penetration issues. Very effective weapons to be sure, but also quite unrealistic for HD use, IMHO.

Depends on where you live of course, and the way you've set up your environs.

From my POV, there have been instances of home invasions with hi-cap semi-autos, so JIC that should ever happen, my first in line go to gun is and will always be the AK with the drum. I can de-escalate to the 12 ga or .45 or .40 on the fly from there depending on the threat assessment, and still have the AK in immediate ready reserve. I'd give up my M4 and my pistol before I'll ever give up the AK. Naturally some sort of dynamic entry by home invaders will have me picking up the AK vs. picking up the .40 or M4 if the dogs go on alert.

Also, I would put on my warpaint and tie a bloody rag around my head, and then run out of my room bump firing while screaming obscenities and taking the lords name in vain.

Interesting technique...;)

Still, rifles are too penetrative. Great for rural and/or "open" urban areas, but for QC? Nah.

Interesting technique...;)

Still, rifles are too penetrative. Great for rural and/or "open" urban areas, but for QC? Nah.

"Son, when you really need it, there's no such thing as too much gun." -Audie Murphy's response to a youngster's exclamation "That's too much gun!" in a gunshop when the kid was looking at a new 8" Model 29 on display in the case

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

"Son, when you really need it, there's no such thing as too much gun." -Audie Murphy's response to a youngster's exclamation "That's too much gun!" in a gunshop when the kid was looking at a new 8" Model 29 on display in the case

I dont believe in "too much gun" per se, but I do believe in using appropriate weaponry for given situations (tactics and/or sensibilities). ;)

Besides, if I concerned myself with the "too much gun" philosophy, I would not be interested in one of these:

mini.jpg

...now, compare this to any rifle.

Edited by shotgunNoob

I chose the .45. Really, it's a 12ga shotgun; but I've got a toddler in the house, and I can't keep a loaded shotgun next to my bed. Pistols are much easier to store safely, but in a way that allows very quick access in case of emergency. And also, it's much easier to do daily chores in your home with a holstered .45, than it is to do them with a slung shotgun.

Whatever happened to the blunderbuss?

I just felt like i was watching a rambo movie! :D

As part of the "cocked and locked" crowd, I would always choose a rifle if given a chance. When all options are compared, rifles ALWAYS come out on top. They are simply better, and more effective. The problem is the user, not the rifle.

That said, my first line of defense is a glock 19 and a surefire E2D-LED, glock loaded 15+1 with DPX hp rounds. It sits on my windowsill at all times, if my door comes crashing down I am grabbing it and dumping rounds ...

If I have time, and feel I need it, my m4 is right inside my closet, leaning up against the corner, loaded with LE127 buck.

If I really feel like the zombies are coming, I will strap on the chest rig/plate carrier with 2 lvl 4 rifle plates, 8 30 round mags in pouches, and grab the LMT MRP. Mags are loaded with TAP 5.56 75 grain rounds.

But out of all those, the pistol is the fastest, solely because I don't leave my loaded shotgun lying next to my bed.

If I had time to get it, I would use it ... but currently I don't even have a light on it, so I'd probably stick to my glock 19 and surefire.

Well no doubt it's very high velocity but with frangible ammo I don't think you're going through multiple walls or anything like that. The ammo is made for CQB. Some of us own all three (plus) of your HD choices and it's just a matter of what do you opt to keep close. For others it's which one are you going to buy with limited funds. You get pretty good overall diversity with an AR. If I have to bug out with only one rifle, that's what I plan on grabbing.

What sits in my night stand is a SIG 229 in 357 SIG with Crimson Trace grips with a flashlight close by. Not a fan of lights on pistols and keep long arms close but not out in view.

Edited by BigHat

.45ACP

Actually, I choose the .40 S&W, but it's not on the list.

• More rounds
  • One-handed operation
  • Small and easy to hide
  • Easier to handle in tight places
  • Plenty of knockdown power
  • Quick and efficient reloading with additional magazines.

You would be a 40 guy.

You would be a 40 guy.

11 x .45 = 4.95"

14 x .40 = 6.00"

I can put over an inch more projectile into the target than you.

I can shoot more and reload less in a single session.

Mine has less recoil, so I can recover for a second shot more quickly than you can.

:p

I'm a 9mm guy, so your argument is moot.

18 x .355 = 6.39"

I can put .39" more projectile on target than you

I can shoot more and reload less in a single session, but it's not worth it because 9mm is $9/box

Mine has WAY less recoil and muzzle flip than the snappy 40 S&W, so I can dump my entire mag without being off target

:p

All fun aside, I personally just don't like the .40 ... I don't like the snappy recoil pattern, the fact that cops use it, or the fact that the glock 22/23 suck terribly, which is what I would basically be forced to use in NY if I was to adopt the .40.

I'd rather stick with 9mm and 45, but to each their own. I also actually much prefer the "push" of the .45 acp to the "snap" of the .40. I've shot plenty of both.

Bullet grain weight would be a better example. I can't stand 40 s&w. To me it recoils more than 45acp. I'd rather have 9mm over either of the two since I'm in a ban free State. 20 rounds of 9mm in an XDm is a lot of firepower. If I was stuck with a 10 round capacity, I'd opt for a 45acp.

We refer to the 40 as the ghetto round. When we find them, we pack them up, tumble them and sell them.

Shot placement trumps caliber in the fighting calibers.

I've run into some areas where the pistol was absolutely better than even the SBR. I had to clear out a mine because there were some noises coming from in it. At first, I had my SBR at the ready as I entered. It was difficult to maneuver through the tight passages.

So I slung it and went to my 1911 Ed Brown and used my Surefire Aviator A2 to finish the search.

The pistol will be faster than any other weapon to deploy. What it lacks is the power of the rifle or shotgun.

I'm a 9mm guy, so your argument is moot.

18 x .355 = 6.39"

Your 9mm only holds 18 rounds? :rolleyes: I've got 20 in my magazine. That gives me 7.1". :D

I do really like the .40S&W though. My problem with it is not recoil or stopping power, but simply that it's not a NATO round. NATO calibers get more readily available ammo, which is an advantage in that probably-never-gonna-happen SHTF scenario. (Probably-never-gonna-happen is still the same as could-someday-happen.)

Your 9mm only holds 18 rounds? :rolleyes: I've got 20 in my magazine. That gives me 7.1". :D

I do really like the .40S&W though. My problem with it is not recoil or stopping power, but simply that it's not a NATO round. NATO calibers get more readily available ammo, which is an advantage in that probably-never-gonna-happen SHTF scenario. (Probably-never-gonna-happen is still the same as could-someday-happen.)

There are no preban XD-M mags in existence, thus if I was to have an XD-M I would be stuck with 10 round mags, thus defeating the entire purpose.

We are "stuck" with glock 19/17 in NYS if we want preban mags.

There are no preban XD-M mags in existence, thus if I was to have an XD-M I would be stuck with 10 round mags, thus defeating the entire purpose.

We are "stuck" with glock 19/17 in NYS if we want preban mags.

Bummer. (I've got a P226, BTW. 20+1. But the same issue may apply in NY.)

Bummer. (I've got a P226, BTW. 20+1. But the same issue may apply in NY.)

Preban 226 mags exist, but are much less common and as such much more expensive than glock mags ... and from all accounts I hear, new sigs are to be avoided.

If you like yours and it works, great, but I passed on buying one for now.

My next gun is a S&W .357 scandium/titanium J Frame to keep in my pocket loaded with Gold Dot short barrel rounds. :)