Choose your HD weapon...BUT, out of only 3 choices...

shotgunNoob

For HD, which would you choose?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For HD, which would you choose?

• .357 Magnum revolver
    • .45 ACP semi-auto
    • 12 ga. shotgun (pump)

Preban 226 mags exist, but are much less common and as such much more expensive than glock mags ... and from all accounts I hear, new sigs are to be avoided.

If you like yours and it works, great, but I passed on buying one for now.

They just have some consistancy problems since the Kimber guys took over. Some have plastic guide rods or plastic recoil springs, among other issues. If you really wanted a Sig, you'd just want to look it over to make sure that it's hasn't got cheap components and function check it. Mine is a new one (made earlier this year) and works like a champ.

Can't go wrong with a J frame though. I'd never try to talk a guy out of a good revolver for an automatic. They both have their places for self defense.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bed side gun right now is a k frame .357 4 inch loaded with 38+p's. (+plus 2 speed loaders) .357's have alot of flash in the dark and alot bigger compression wave. YOu won't be able to hear or see.

6 rounds is enough. Unless someone can raise there hand and tell me they have shot someone in there house more than 6 times. I'm thinkin no one.

*sigh*

fail.

I agree, what would we do if it wasn't for all the Amateurs, Amateurs, Amateurs......

The only weapon you should have at your disposal (other than a cell phone to call 911) is one that you can shoot accurately and reliably in this moment of stress, while you're moving to guard the kids. Unless ofcourse you're brainfarting and now have decided to search your home, by yourself, for a possible armed intruder, who after you made all that noise, is now lying in wait. (Please- If this is your likely avenue, Unobtanium, Duggan or I would like to speak to your Widow about inheriting your weapons)

If you must do someone else's job, the TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN, yourself by setting up some obstacles between yourself and the target next time you're at the range. Measure the distances in your home and set up targets to simulate the scenarios. Simunition is a great equalizer for showing people their Amateur status.

But to answer the first question..... I have two solutions. Either one of them quite capable of ending the scenario, both also proven in their jobs.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

Edited by Mike Grasso

I need to get a dog.

The problem is, I don't really like dogs.

But I need one to supplement my home defense plan ... as astute as I am, dogs hear and know stuff instinctually that I never will, so one must be obtained.

I really don't like needy creatures bugging me though ... what to do what to do.

I agree, what would we do if it wasn't for all the Amateurs, Amateurs, Amateurs......

The only weapon you should have at your disposal (other than a cell phone to call 911) is one that you can shoot accurately and reliably in this moment of stress, while you're moving to guard the kids. Unless ofcourse you're brainfarting and now have decided to search your home, by yourself, for a possible armed intruder, who after you made all that noise, is now lying in wait. (Please- If this is your likely avenue, Unobtanium, Duggan or I would like to speak to your Widow about inheriting your weapons)

If you must do someone else's job, the TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN, yourself by setting up some obstacles between yourself and the target next time you're at the range. Measure the distances in your home and set up targets to simulate the scenarios. Simunition is a great equalizer for showing people their Amateur status.

But to answer the first question..... I have two solutions. Either one of them quite capable of ending the scenario, both also proven in their jobs.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

I like VZ Gatorbacks, great grips. I ran them on my LB TRS. Only part of that gun that I liked, lol.

I need to get a dog.

The problem is, I don't really like dogs.

But I need one to supplement my home defense plan ... as astute as I am, dogs hear and know stuff instinctually that I never will, so one must be obtained.

I really don't like needy creatures bugging me though ... what to do what to do.

Can be a real pain in the ass when you're not in the mood to deal with them but they are a great asset to keeping the family safe.

Love those grips!

Mg

Can be a real pain in the ass when you're not in the mood to deal with them but they are a great asset to keeping the family safe.

Love those grips!

Mg

All of my white shepherds have been perfect. Not needy, not annoying, do not make messes or tear thigns up. I like them much better than any child I have met. My last one was 125# and 27" at the shoulder. AWESOME dog! My current one is only around 75-80#, but still a smart/loyal companion.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

In your reply, you state that a cell phone should be at your disposal. I agree, and do have that. The weapon should be "one that you can shoot accurately and be reliable in a stressful situation". This I also have, but it's not a .45 w/ a light. It happens to be a shotgun, that I have thousands of rounds shot through it, and could shoot it while half asleep, in a stressful situation, and most importantly, hit what I was shooting at. I do have a dog, although she is not half wolf, she is a formidable foe and would have to be dealt with. I will admit, I am an amateur when it comes to home defense, but rest assured, if they get past the dog, I will have something for them. I deeply respect your opinion but not the holier than thou attitude.

You're a God.. I do appreciate the wisdom.:rolleyes:

Well ... honestly, what type of person is unable to aim in a crisis situation? I mean, you know how you handle stress better than I do, but when I am confronted with a life or death situation I get a huge adrenaline dump, muscles tense, and I sure as heck am more focused than normal at accomplishing what needs to get done ... I don't think aiming would be a problem, I would imagine getting blood to my hands might be a problem, as I would be grabbing and aiming the gun so hard ...

Well ... honestly, what type of person is unable to aim in a crisis situation? I mean, you know how you handle stress better than I do, but when I am confronted with a life or death situation I get a huge adrenaline dump, muscles tense, and I sure as heck am more focused than normal at accomplishing what needs to get done ... I don't think aiming would be a problem, I would imagine getting blood to my hands might be a problem, as I would be grabbing and aiming the gun so hard ...

Duggan, you don't need to aim buckshot. Didn't you hear the man? Just wave the weapon in his general direction and fire. No need to be near COM. Buckshot is like a cone of destruction...

This is a situation that you probably will never be in. Realistically. And you really don't know what you will do when the time comes. One thing is certain.You had better be familiar with the weapon you have in your hands, whatever it may be, so when the time comes you can focus at what is at hand and not on what it takes to shoot the gun. Again, I am not a pro, and this only is my humble opinion. I enjoy your insight and read your replies. Keep up the good work.

I want a choke that gives me a 45* angle of shot dispersion, so that when I bumpfire 9 rounds of 3.5 inch magnum #9 birdshot in the intruders general direction it will really blind the **** out of him, and when he falls to the ground with sand all up in his eyes, I will go up and poke him repeatedly in the sides with a stick until he cries uncle and the police arrive to save him from my vicious tickle torture.

Duggan, you don't need to aim buckshot. Didn't you hear the man? Just wave the weapon in his general direction and fire. No need to be near COM. Buckshot is like a cone of destruction...

Let me rephrase. It would be easier for me to hit someone or something, in the dark in a stressful situation, with a shotgun loaded with buck shot than a pistol that I don't shoot accurately to begin with. Hope that helps..

I want a choke that gives me a 45* angle of shot dispersion, so that when I bumpfire 9 rounds of 3.5 inch magnum #9 birdshot in the intruders general direction it will really blind the **** out of him, and when he falls to the ground with sand all up in his eyes, I will go up and poke him repeatedly in the sides with a stick until he cries uncle and the police arrive to save him from my vicious tickle torture.

Do you tickle the feet or do you go right to the armpits?:D

Let me rephrase. It would be easier for me to hit someone or something, in the dark in a stressful situation, with a shotgun loaded with buck shot than a pistol that I don't shoot accurately to begin with. Hope that helps..

I assume what you mean is that you are more accurate with a rifle than you are with a pistol, which is sound and good logic as most people are.

Furthermore, I presume that you know that across the room differences, no matter what you put in that shotgun, it is going to behave about like a rifle.

I assume what you mean is that you are more accurate with a rifle than you are with a pistol, which is sound and good logic as most people are.

Furthermore, I presume that you know that across the room differences, no matter what you put in that shotgun, it is going to behave about like a rifle.

That's what I was trying to say. The only exception is that instead of one projectile, there are about a dozen. They will be close together but there is still 12 of them. P.S. I enjoy reading your posts and replies...

That's what I was trying to say. The only exception is that instead of one projectile, there are about a dozen. They will be close together but there is still 12 of them. P.S. I enjoy reading your posts and replies...

As long as you understand that aiming is just as important with a shotgun as it is an AR-15 in the home, you are spot-on!

In your reply, you state that a cell phone should be at your disposal. I agree, and do have that. The weapon should be "one that you can shoot accurately and be reliable in a stressful situation". This I also have, but it's not a .45 w/ a light. It happens to be a shotgun, that I have thousands of rounds shot through it, and could shoot it while half asleep, in a stressful situation, and most importantly, hit what I was shooting at. I do have a dog, although she is not half wolf, she is a formidable foe and would have to be dealt with. I will admit, I am an amateur when it comes to home defense, but rest assured, if they get past the dog, I will have something for them. I deeply respect your opinion but not the holier than thou attitude.

Ah, but my attitude is my opinion, they come together like a fine Montecristo #2 and a glass of 40 year old Taylor Fladgate, but I digress.

The reason you feel the wrath in my words is to remind you to TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. The chances may be that you won't encounter this scenario, but then again, some will. So if my words are harsh it's because they have been for 29 years and the people I've trained have been tested. So go forth and practice how you'll play, and remember only perfect practice makes perfect.

Always stay safe,

Mg