Choose your HD weapon...BUT, out of only 3 choices...

shotgunNoob

For HD, which would you choose?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For HD, which would you choose?

• .357 Magnum revolver
    • .45 ACP semi-auto
    • 12 ga. shotgun (pump)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three. I think you should decide what you fell best with.

My comments: A Revolver is great as it will go bang when you want it. Easy to pick up and use as you don't have to fiddle with safeties. A SG is great too - super for multiple attackers. 1911 is fine if you are good at using it.

Ah, but my attitude is my opinion, they come together like a fine Montecristo #2 and a glass of 40 year old Taylor Fladgate, but I digress.

The reason you feel the wrath in my words is to remind you to TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. The chances may be that you won't encounter this scenario, but then again, some will. So if my words are harsh it's because they have been for 29 years and the people I've trained have been tested. So go forth and practice how you'll play, and remember only perfect practice makes perfect.

Always stay safe,

Mg

I understand and agree with all of the above. I did not mean nor did I want to disrespect you in any way. As a relative newcomer to this Forum,I see newbie's ask seemingly innocent questions, and then get slaughtered by the old timers. This obviously was not the case. I am sorry I took it the wrong way.. Keep up the good work. I don't have any Taylor Fladgate, but some Crown Royal on the rocks and an Artuero Fuente Maduro is in order.

I love my S&W M&P 45. You can drag that gun through **** and back and it wont let you down. Yet to jam in a year and a half of super heavy shooting. The real big reason I love it for HD is that it can be fired around obstacles if you need to take cover, not saying you couldn't with the shotgun but you will have a lot more maneuverability. It dosnt hurt to have 10+1 although most gun fights take place within 12 feet so you really shouldnt have to use that much ammo. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

My first ever firearm purchase was a Benelli M4. I had considered a simple pump action gun but really feel the semi-auto was a better choice. My friends tried to dissuade me saying it would be prone to misfeeding. I asked if they had ever short cycled a pump action and that usually shut them up. I'm saving up right now for a 357Mag revolver as my next purchase.

I had discussed my choice with numerous friends and we determined that firearm selection is at least partly based on who you are more afraid of; President Obama or Burglars!

Scenario #1 Obama: My first choice was the tactical shotgun (Likely to be restricted along with AR15 and AK47), My second choice will be a high capacity semi-auto pistol (same reasoning), and third choice is the revolver as it is the least likely to be restricted.

Scenario #2 Burglars: My first choice would be the revolver. It's simple to use and less likely to cause problems for a Newbie like me. If it doesn't go bang, just pull the trigger again. My second choice would be a simple pump action shotgun. The Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) doctrine applies. My third choice would be the semi-automatic pistol. My limited experience so far has proven me to be unreliable (notice I said me, not the gun) with numerous FTFs.

Looks like I was initially more afraid of impending gun legislation than burglars and now I am correcting course. All that being said I plan on purchasing all three and practicing with all of them regularly.

Edited by OhioM4

• 4 weeks later...

Sticking to your options Noob, I like the .45 auto personally for inside the house. Mobility and the free hand are more important to me for a nightstand type weapon than the firepower of the shotgun.

I keep a .357 handy also because my wife is not comfortable enough for me with my single action auto's. I like the simplicity of the revolver and keep the first couple cylinders loaded with shotshells for small pest control in the front yard and use it regularly for that.

I have a 12ga for any looking around the property loaded with 000 buck.

Outside your choices...I keep a Tangfoglio .38 Super that holds 20 with one in the pipe, cocked & locked. The Browning High Power is another favorite. I like the ergonomics better on most pistols (these two in particular) than revolvers and it is something I'd take into account in a HD gun.

In the home, I feel most comfortable with a tactical light in one hand & semi auto pistol in the other. Preferably a single action with a good trigger;).

Looks like you got a lot of good opinions.