What is the Benelli receiver made of? Steel or Aluminum?

DoctorW

Aluminium.

Sure?

I am asking this because I am thinking why Benelli Ultra Light is so light. I thought maybe it uses aluminum instead of steel as receiver metal.

If all Benelli shotgun uses aluminum receiver, why Ultra light is so light? Is it because Ultra Light's receiver is made of thinner aluminum?

Sure?

I am asking this because I am thinking why Benelli Ultra Light is so light. I thought maybe it uses aluminum instead of steel as receiver metal.

If all Benelli shotgun uses aluminum receiver, why Ultra light is so light? Is it because Ultra Light's receiver is made of thinner aluminum?

Weighing only 6 pounds, the Benelli Ultra Light is the lightest semi-automatic 12-gauge shotgun in production, sporting a featherweight alloy receiver and shortened magazine tube. The unique raised target rib used in these Benelli shotguns is made from the same super-light, super-strong carbon fiber employed in Formula I race cars.

looks pretty self-evident where the weight went to me...

Doogie... what the heck is this? You sending flowers? Was there a death in your family. Or is this just algae in your toilet. I just don't get it.

http://acs.lbl.gov/ImgLib/COLLECTIONS/BERKELEY-LAB/RESEARCH-1991-PRESENT/MATERIALS-SCIENCE/index/96703427.html

The receiver is of course an alloy of some sort, but alloys don't make pretty crystals like pure aluminum ... at least I don't think.

I spent most of chemistry class junior year drooling over the little blond cheerleader who sat in front of me, and I cheated my way through most of my labs. I never did hook up with her, but I got with her friend, who was also hot, but not a cheerleader ... where is this story going again?

I lost my train of thought.

Edited by Duggan

All aluminum used to make anything is an alloy.

Well, that is why I hate people advertising their products as made from alloy. What alloy? What is the main metal element in the alloy? To me, the word "alloy" is just an advertising word which catches eyeballs but loses meanings or definition.

Well, that is why I hate people advertising their products as made from alloy. What alloy? What is the main metal element in the alloy? To me, the word "alloy" is just an advertising word which catches eyeballs but loses meanings or definition.

It is most likely an aluminum alloy like 7056 or 6061 or something similar. I can't see it being anything else.

Gents,

The Italian gun company Breda (who still sell the 'original' SBE as the Grizzly) say, in their catalogue that the Grizzly / SBE uses an 'Ergal' alloy receiver, and Rilsan stock. I'm no metallurgist, but I reckon the barrels will be something like Nickel Chrome Molybdnum.

Given the almost incestuous relationship between many of the Italian gun companies, I bet that the Benelli is the same. Certainly, Janes Infantry Weapons refers to the Benelli shotguns as having Ergal receivers, rilsan stocks and Nickel Chrome Moly barrels.

Incidentally, Walther used to advertise their lightweight PP / PPK and P38 models as having 'Dural' alloy receivers, which was also used in aircraft and, I think, airships.

Best regards

Andy