How good are you?

Trapshooter1

What is your average out of 25 in trap?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average out of 25 in trap?

I was just wandering how the other trap shooters shoot because I was at the state qualifying shoot and I was surprised how bad some of the teams were. There was a person that hit 1 out of 25 and most of the teams shot worse than 100 out of 125. I guess it is because we are a bunch of rednecks that have been around guns all our lives. Are squad hit 113 out of 125. I usually hit 22 or 23 and its been a long time I have shot under 20. So how do you other trap shooters average out of 25?

There are a lot of people on the golf course that can't break 100, or 120 for that matter. Enjoying what you are doing is the point of any particular recreation. Some are better at it than others, but you are there for the fun. If you happen to be good at what you enjoy doing, then the numbers will be on your side. Having a good day at the trap range is all relative to what you shot yesterday. Good luck with your shooting..

I shoot 23 and 24s mostly but we all have "off days" like today was a bad day for two reasons I shot 20, 22, and 22 and my $600 mountain bike got stolen I packed it up to take to a shoot tommorow and it got jacked out of my dads pickup well what can you do maybe ill shoot better tommorow

My ATA lifetime average is about 94.4% (about 23.6 per 25), but that includes some early years with very low averages when I first started. This doesn't include league and practice.

My best year was 2006 where I finished with a 95.75% average (23.9 out of 25.)

This season my average is 94.5% (97/100, 90/100 bummer, and 191/200.)

My best single score ever was 198 out of 200 at the Kansas State Shoot a few years back. Broke a 23 on the first 25, then 175 straight. Didn't even win me anything. At the big shoots, you have to be perfect, and even then, you finish in a tie and have to shoot off to determine the champion.

I like to think I'd be scoring better, but I just haven't been shooting as much as I had in the past. Less "disposable income" to spend on hobbies these days.

"... I was at the state qualifying shoot and I was surprised how bad some of the teams were..."

Are you shooting SCTP or AIM? If so, keep in mind these are kids who may have never picked up a shotgun for the first time until they joined their team. Don't be too harsh in your judgement of them. They're trying, and hopefully they're out there having fun. After all, this is still just a game, and having fun is what its all about.

Bummer about the bike Vinchshooter. That sucks.

Edited by timb99

Are you shooting SCTP or AIM? If so, keep in mind these are kids who may have never picked up a shotgun for the first time until they joined their team. Don't be too harsh in your judgement of them. They're trying, and hopefully they're out there having fun. After all, this is still just a game, and having fun is what its all about.

I was shooting SCTP Im not trying to be hard on them I should have said I was suprised how good we did considering we were squad 2 on our team.

My ATA lifetime average is about 94.4% (about 23.6 per 25), but that includes some early years with very low averages when I first started. This doesn't include league and practice.

My best year was 2006 where I finished with a 95.75% average (23.9 out of 25.)

This season my average is 94.5% (97/100, 90/100 bummer, and 191/200.)

My best single score ever was 198 out of 200 at the Kansas State Shoot a few years back. Broke a 23 on the first 25, then 175 straight. Didn't even win me anything. At the big shoots, you have to be perfect, and even then, you finish in a tie and have to shoot off to determine the champion.

I like to think I'd be scoring better, but I just haven't been shooting as much as I had in the past. Less "disposable income" to spend on hobbies these days.

"... I was at the state qualifying shoot and I was surprised how bad some of the teams were..."

Bummer about the bike Vinchshooter. That sucks.

thx I guess I really didnt need to post anything about it but I was soo ticked off at the time like ten minuts after we got back from searching for it still cant find it but it told my dad if hes smaller than me im getting my bike back:)

thx I guess I really didnt need to post anything about it but I was soo ticked off at the time like ten minuts after we got back from searching for it still cant find it but it told my dad if hes smaller than me im getting my bike back:)

He doesn't have to be smaller than you if he is unarmed and you have a shotgun ;)

He doesn't have to be smaller than you if he is unarmed and you have a shotgun ;)

yeah I live right by a soccer field type thing and I figured kids saw it and stole it fro fun and ditched it in the canal by our house but if i do see it and hes smaller ill get it back I wont need my shotgun:) and if hes bigger than me my dad will get it back hes like 5.11 but hes mean and tuff he walked up to gangbanger in the park raiding threw there bikes un armed and they were scared of him my dad fears no one!

good one! I started out shooting 2s each round and slowly progressed but I shoot a ton of trap i shoot three times a week 8 boxes if not more im just addicted to shooting

I go through 10 boxes a week and I only shoot on a registered field twice a week do you have a big trap team or something?

I go through 10 boxes a week and I only shoot on a registered field twice a week do you have a big trap team or something?

no actually i used to shoot more but they canceled practice after the season but now i only go twice a week and shoot ten each time and its a small field six trap houses 3 working ones:D I just love shooting trap its addicting same as hunting

no actually i used to shoot more but they canceled practice after the season but now i only go twice a week and shoot ten each time and its a small field six trap houses 3 working ones:D I just love shooting trap its addicting same as hunting

The field I go to only has 3 trap houses. I do most of my shooting now in my trap field I made in my unused field. Where ever or what ever I am shooting I share your love for the sport.

You have your own trap field? Sweet!

Yea it wasn't to difficult to build if you have a trap machine but its set up with the ata rules exept for speed. I dont know exactly how fast it is going but I messed with it tell it felt just right. It isnt much its a hand cock so its a little anoying when you shoot by yourself walking back and forth and setting the angles I just have a really long string wrapped around my foot to pull. it cost me $40 to build.

You can approximate ATA targets by marking a point 10 yards out from the machine, and another one 50 yards out from the machine (at the club we take the measurements pretty closely, and use a transit and get the angles precise, but for a home field, you don't have to be that precise.)

At the 10 yard marker, the target is supposed to be between 8 feet and 10 feet above the level of the release of the machine (essentially the plate where the target flies from.) We use a t-bar made out of 3 inch PVC pipe. Remember, its 8 - 10 feet above the level of the target thrower plate, not the base of the machine.

And the level of the target thrower plate is supposed to be level with the ground where you stand at the stations. (Note, this makes it so the machine is actually in a bit of a hole in the ground.) Of course, for a home field, you don't have to be that precise.

The target is supposed to land 50 yards (on level ground) from the machine. That should pretty closely approximate the speed of an ATA target.

If you can get your hands on a radar gun (most clubs have one, as this is now the official measurement method) the target should be going 42 mph.