How good are you?

Trapshooter1

What is your average out of 25 in trap?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average out of 25 in trap?

I use marking flags to mark my stations. Figure out where you want station 3 (middle station) and measure 16 yards (48 feet) strait in front and set your machine there. Then tie a string to your machine that ends exactly where you marked station 3, then move the string exactly 3 yards (9 feet) to the right and mark it then move another 3 yards and mark it again. Then go back to station 3 and move the string 3 yards to the left, mark it and go another 3 yards and mark it. You should now have a semi circle with 5 points. Facing the machine, the far left mark is station 1 then 2, so on. make sure you put a board up so you cant see what angle it will shoot at (like a real trap house). drill a hole in the middle of the board so you can run your pull line or electric cord through it. Then follow Timb99s advice on setting the machine up from there. Good luck here is a picture of my 'Trap House'

trapmach.jpg

Sorry It isn't very big or clear I used a cell phone.

yeah thats soo cool you have your own field If i did i would never stop im dead serius too im goin shooting tonight and ive been jittery all day I live in a small neighborhood so i cant set any thing up the best trap shooting I get in my yard is little kids letting balloons go from 2 or 3 houses down and shooting them with my red ryder bb gun it works though

Looks good trapshooter1

If you want a good diagram of the dimensions, go to http://www.shootata.com

On the menu on the left, click "About the ATA"

The there's a link to the "ATA rule book and by-laws," then a link to "View the Rolebook"

Its a pdf file of the entire rule book.

Go to pages 56 and 57 and there is a layout of the field.

I'm always amazed at how narrow the target angles are on paper, and how wide they "seem" when I'm shooting a hard right from station 5.

Oh, and the NRA says to account for a 300 yard shot fall distance. I don't think 7-1/2's really fly that far, but its a bad thing if your shot is pelting your neighbor's barn.

Edited by timb99

Looks good trapshooter1

If you want a good diagram of the dimensions, go to http://www.shootata.com

On the menu on the left, click "About the ATA"

The there's a link to the "ATA rule book and by-laws," then a link to "View the Rolebook"

Its a pdf file of the entire rule book.

Go to pages 56 and 57 and there is a layout of the field.

I'm always amazed at how narrow the target angles are on paper, and how wide they "seem" when I'm shooting a hard right from station 5.

Oh, and the NRA says to account for a 300 yard shot fall distance. I don't think 7-1/2's really fly that far, but its a bad thing if your shot is pelting your neighbor's barn.

Im shooting into trees and there is 2 miles of woods past that so Im good. I am sure you know this but it feels so far right at station 5 because you are closer vertically and farther horizontally to the machine.

• 4 weeks later...
The last year I shot competitively my average for over 5000 birds was 98.00....this was too much work...go to shoots and be spotted one bird...then in endless shoot offs...gave it up 10 years ago but can shoot 49-50 on good days still...

That's a darned good average Jorge.

I'm at just over 95 this season in ATA shooting. I shot a 97 on Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...