New to the M4

Infidel

Good morning everyone. I recently purchased my first M4 and after reading the other threads here, I am still unsure what the first upgrade should be.

Its use will be primarily HD. I've been eveying the skeleton stock, but there have been mixed reviews.

Any an all help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.

Good morning everyone. I recently purchased my first M4 and after reading the other threads here, I am still unsure what the first upgrade should be.

Its use will be primarily HD. I've been eveying the skeleton stock, but there have been mixed reviews.

Any an all help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.

What kind of mixed reviews are you talking about?

I would order Kip's Ti tube and spring first-off.

Thanks for the reply. I have spoken to several people that prefer the factory stock over the skeleton. I haven't had a chance to handle the latter so I am unsure. $800 is a nice chunk of change for something that I might not like.

As for the Kips tube, I'll get one now. Do you know if they are still on backorder?

Thanks,

-i

Alright, Kip's tube has been ordered, as well as the collapsable stock. After seeing Unobtanium's gun pron of his M4, I had to do it.

Next, I'm thinking lights...

Good stuff. Well, the collapsible stock is exactly the same as the regular one when fully extended. Anyone who says otherwise is either pushing their face WAY foreward on it, or pulling it WAY back. For me, it felt the same. Also, if you are going to run optics, the collapsible stock on the middle position is all but mandatory to get the correct cheek-weld.

If you don't like it. Sell it. Make $50-100.

Copy that. I know that for it's purpose, I'll need some light.

I haven't seen the "perfect" solution out there yet. Duggan, you posted a pic of what look to be the stock handguards with a rail mounted underneath. Was that something you made?

IMHO, the second most important upgrade (after upgrading magazine capacity) should be to install the tactical bolt release from GG&G. Stock and bolt knob upgrades are nice, but the #1 thing is to be able to shoot the thing. Magazine capacity upgrade recudes the likelihood that you'd have to reload; but if you did run through the magazine and have to start dropping shells in through the ejection port, you don't want to be fumbling around trying to locate the bolt release.

IMHO, the second most important upgrade (after upgrading magazine capacity) should be to install the tactical bolt release from GG&G. Stock and bolt knob upgrades are nice, but the #1 thing is to be able to shoot the thing. Magazine capacity upgrade recudes the likelihood that you'd have to reload; but if you did run through the magazine and have to start dropping shells in through the ejection port, you don't want to be fumbling around trying to locate the bolt release.

I ran a GG&G and took it off. I skinned my finger on it. I had the stock charging handle. I think that is what caused it. I just run it stock in that department. With a shotgun, you never run dry. You always ALWAYS load. Not shooting? You are loading. Period. Otherwise you are going to be...a sad panda.

ETA: BUy the one from CM, save $60. I think it's shaped nicer anyways. If I do it again, that is what I will get, and don't listen to people. This is an easy mod to install.

ETA: BUy the one from CM, save $60. I think it's shaped nicer anyways. If I do it again, that is what I will get, and don't listen to people. This is an easy mod to install.

Thanks for your feedback about the GG&G. I'm not running any modifications on my M4 yet, but I know I want a bolt release that is bigger and easier to locate under stress.

Just one question: What do you mean by "CM"? Who is that?

So...what's the consensus on a GTG light platform for the M4?

There is no consensus because there is no readily available excellent solution.

The options are as such.

1) - Sidearmor Rail - Adds weight, not proper rail specs, some don't like looks, but gives you a rail in the right place to mount a light.

2) - Surefire M80/FAB/B&T replacement handguard rails, all are mediocre in my opinion, or I would own one.

3) - Barrel/Magtube clamp mounts that must be removed every time you disassemble the gun, and weak by design.

4) - Build your own, like I am doing, by putting a rail section onto the handguards or welded onto the handguard holder.

5) - Duct tape. Seriously. It works.

I returned the M80. It simply was not comfortable. Plus the rail mounted a light right where your hand would be. The only way I'd use one is if I had to have a FVG.

It weighed quite a bit once you added rail covers and everything. Approx. 10 ounces, not counting a light.

Sidearmor is the rail I've went with. The top rail is not true picatinny spec. It is however better than the factory one. There is more meat on the lugs.

Weight is around 9 ounces. Weights listed are higher because they kept the long side rails and forgot to subtract the weight of the factory top rail that you remove.

I like this rail because it gets the mounted light away from the handguard area and uses the factory handguards. The Scout light is the top of the line for this weapon. Extremely compact and a high output. Long runtime also. Multiple choices for activation.

I like a rail mounted sling mount much better than the crappy factory one. I use a Daniel Defense quick detatch mount. I put it all the way to the rear of the side rail. So now the handguard is unobstructed by the sling. I no longer have to slide my hand up under the sling to get a proper hold.

You have the option to get a shell holder that functions better than the Mesa one.

While I really like my X300, it was too large and the activation method was not optimal.

My photos are listed in other threads. It's not easy to link them from my blackberry.

If you are willing to spend the extra 95 cents the duct tape also comes in black!

I thought this was an amusing joke until I Googled "Tactical Duct Tape" and got 78,000 hits. My favorite was:

Tactical Anti-Terror Bulletproof Duct Tape®

I'm too new to the forum to post pictures and links so you'll have to look it up yourselves.

If you are willing to spend the extra 95 cents the duct tape also comes in black!

I thought this was an amusing joke until I Googled "Tactical Duct Tape" and got 78,000 hits. My favorite was:

Tactical Anti-Terror Bulletproof Duct Tape®

I'm too new to the forum to post pictures and links so you'll have to look it up yourselves.

Hilarious. I especially like the "@stickysolutions.con" e-mail address.

There is no where to attach the XT-07. That fits on a Picatinny rail. What you'd need is a regular tape switch, with a set of velcro to attach it to where you want on the handguard.

The Sidearmor's rail isn't exactly parallel with the barrel, so your laser will have two plains of parallax. Not a huge amount, but enough to note.

When using the X400, the switch that controls the Light and laser mode will be faced to whichever side you've mounted it. So if you lay the weapon on it's side, it may change your setting.

The XT07 and the weapon light make a large package. The tail piece is huge, it'll add about 3 inches or so to the X400.

Good luck finding an X400. I tried for a few months, but everyone is sold out.

Overall, I think you'd be happier with the Surefire Scout light. Straight from LaRue, it's cheaper than the X400. Slightly brighter and a much more compact setup.

Thanks for the advice. Called SureFire, and they are making a run of the X400s in July, but a larger run in August. Optics Planet is where I do most of my shopping, will get some mid September.

The XT07 has been changed so it now will snap on to a rail system.

Just when I thought I had a plan...

Might be back to duct tape ;).