M4 and Birdshot?

mikegli

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was invited to participate in some skeet shooting tomorrow. Attendees will have proper bird hunting shotguns, but my only shotgun is my M4, and I'd like to get some more time in on it.

Any problems participating in such festivities? I cant imagine birdshot doing anything to my gun, but I'd rather be sure before.

Thanks in advance.

The matter is whether or not your m4 will cycle the birdshot, not whether or not it will hurt the gun.

Some m4s don't cycle birdshot well at first, for whatever reason.

Test out 25 rounds or so before you go to avoid embarrassment if you want. :)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was invited to participate in some skeet shooting tomorrow. Attendees will have proper bird hunting shotguns, but my only shotgun is my M4, and I'd like to get some more time in on it.

Any problems participating in such festivities? I cant imagine birdshot doing anything to my gun, but I'd rather be sure before.

Thanks in advance.

Go have fun, but be prepared for some good-natured ribbing. The M4 is NOT a skeet gun. Maybe you can out-shoot them and get the last laugh.

but you are going to look and feel out of place. Plus you won't hit anything with 18.5 inch barrel.

I would suggest just renting and O/U at the range, or maybe a Beretta A391 semi auto. Likely the range will have them to rent. You'll have more fun, since you might hit something.

but you are going to look and feel out of place. Plus you won't hit anything with 18.5 inch barrel.

I would suggest just renting and O/U at the range, or maybe a Beretta A391 semi auto. Likely the range will have them to rent. You'll have more fun, since you might hit something.

Nonsense, be different thats half the fun! You spent good money on that M4, no sense in renting a different gun...besides I would bet you would get some questions about why you chose such a gun from people who have only ever touched O/Us and have no idea what an M4 is all about :p Some clubs are like retirement communities, everybody has the same O/Us and shoots the same loads through the same chokes and it just gets boring in a hurry

Now I dont know how familiar you are with skeet but the game is all about the swing so the 18" barrel may "hurt" you a bit there, but I would expect that you could get at least 8 birds at station 1 and station 7 (one right under the high, and the one right by the low) as at those two stations the birds are basically coming straight toward you or straight away...

Nice.

Did you show up the "girly man" pew pew gun crowd with your EVIL BLACK TACTICAL shotgun?

Oh, I showed them alright :D

I shot well IMO...considering this is the second time I have ever been sport clay shooting. Anyway I shot a 48/80 (damn rabbits).

Rabbits are much easier if you get them before they hit the ground the first time :p

That wasn't an option, but after we finished keeping score, we stopped at the rabbit stall and got some more practice in. I wasn't leading enough at first.