Ultralight 20 gauge?

sjlund

I'm considering an Ultralight 20 gauge for a new grouse/pheasant gun. After doing some reading, a number of people say the recoil is harsh, but they don't give any basis for comparison. I have a Supernova 12 gauge, and its recoil is quite manageable for me. Is anyone that has fired both guns willing to give me a subjective comparison of the recoil between the two? Thanks!

The problem occurs when one encounters grouses and not just a grouse. It will leave you grousing over your failure to have adequate firepower to go grousing.

My point exactly. It's not about being a better shot, I looked at it from the standpoint of flushing more than 1 bird :)

I won't be using the 20 for waterfowl, I'll keep the supernova 12 for that. It is legal here to load 5 shells for grouse here. I'm starting to lean toward the monte because it's quite a bit less expensive than the ultralight and is nearly the same weight. The 4+1 wouldbe a bonus.

I won't be using the 20 for waterfowl, I'll keep the supernova 12 for that. It is legal here to load 5 shells for grouse here. I'm starting to lean toward the monte because it's quite a bit less expensive than the ultralight and is nearly the same weight. The 4+1 wouldbe a bonus.

You won't be disappointed with the Monte! ;)

Honestly, just having the "option" for the 4+1 would be the only "plus" over the ultra light. Otherewise, IMO they are pretty much equal

You won't be disappointed with the Monte! ;)

Honestly, just having the "option" for the 4+1 would be the only "plus" over the ultra light. Otherewise, IMO they are pretty much equal

The several hundred dollar price difference helps make the decision easier too!

here,,use my 20,,,,,,,,,MVC-005S11.JPG

sjlund,

I shoot one of the recoil operated 20's shown above and it checks in at about 6.5lbs loaded and it not at all unpleasant to shoot. I considered at the ultra light also & had originally settled on the Monte (until a NIB 20gs millenium edtion was brought to my attention).

I would at least handle the Legacy & Montefeltro as they are so close in weight to the UL, but a bit more generous with the wood (& magazine capacity as mentioned). I am still surprised how light these guns are with 5 rounds in them...

I also picked up one of the Browning Reactar pads for the vest and there recoil is totally negligible when I am wearing a vest (1oz loads).

Hard to go wrong with a nice light recoild operated 20ga for what you want & the Benelli's are exceptional.

Good luck choosing one.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd update the thread. I ended up going with the 20ga Monte. Awesome gun. It fired in the area of 500 rounds throughout the fall, including everything from heavy pheasant to light target loads. With the exception of the first shot out of the box (empty shell jammed while ejecting, and was a target load), it has been flawless. The first bird I pointed it at fell from the sky, can't argue with a start like that. It's easy to carry in the woods, looks great, fits me well, and is no doubt my favorite shotgun I've owned.

Take a look at the Montefeltro and SuperSport 20 ga. I have used both for pheasant and they are both great guns that can hold 5 shells (4+1). Sold my Monte to a friend (who loves it) to get the SuperSport which is now my favorite gun for birds. Both guns have the extended Crio chokes which pattern lead and steel very very well.

(I wrote this before reading your final comment, the Monte 20 ga IS a great gun. You made a wise decision)

Edited by BlackDogs3