New member with a question

johnxd

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is John, and I'm posting from PA. I am the proud owner of a Super Nova in black synthetic with 28" vent rib barrell. I just got the Supernova a month ago, and will use it for trap shooting primarilly. Today was the first time Iv'e had it out, and shot 3 rounds of trap. And yeah, I know the Supernova isn't a dedicated trap gun, but those were out of my price range. Of the pump guns I looked at, this one fit me the best off the shelf. Once I got the stock fitted with the right shims I was able to break 20 of the 25 clays on the 3rd round. Not too bad for my first time I hope.

I also have a Nova tactical with standard stock and ghost rings. It's the defense configuration on Benelli's site. Had this one for a while, and whenever I shoot slugs or a lot of buckshot, my shoulder gets a tad sore from the brick-like recoil pad it comes with. After firing off many boxes of both slugs and 00 buck durring recent tactical training, I was sore for some time. And this gun can't be shimmed for the ideal fit due to the solid stock/ receiver. It does come up very close to where it should be ideally all ready however, so I think I just need to try a more cushioned recoil pad. The Limsaver pad looks like just the ticket, and I know many people here have tried them. I was wondering if anyone has put one on their nova, and if so which pad did you use? It looks like the 10400 or 10401 fits the Nova, but it says "non Tactical" on the web site. I'm wondering if they mean non pistol grip stocks only. My stock appears to be the same as the field gun stocks, and the template is pretty darn close, I just can't find any local shops where there in stock, so it will have to be ordered in. No way to compare it to the current one side by side. And lastly, I can't figure out if there's any difference between the 10400 and 10401 pad. I know that's a bunch of questions, I'm just hoping someone might know for sure before I place an order.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ wisdom,

-John :cool:

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

20 out of 25 is very good for your 3rd round. I shoot my Nova as well and I shoot 20-22 on the trap range on the 16 yard line. I just shoot for fun and practice.

I wish I had the bag my limbsaver pad came in. I don't know what model mine is but I can tell you it does work. I would call or e-mail them direct and see what they say.

again welcome to the forum.

Novaking

Thanks for the welcome. The first round I shot with a full choke on the advice of the range officer. Hit the first two, then it was hit or miss for the rest of the round with my results tapering off. I think I broke about 12, but diddn't really blast any of them. Next I tried a modified choke, and missed all but 5 or 6. I guess the pattern just opened up too much, so I switched back to full, and had the hang of it by then. I was very pleased (and definetely a bit surprised)with the results. I think I'm hooked!:D Can't wait to go out again. When you say 16 yard line, does that mean your shooting from 16 yards behind the trap house? That sounds about like where we shot from, but I diddn't ask that question.

Thanks for the welcome. The first round I shot with a full choke on the advice of the range officer. Hit the first two, then it was hit or miss for the rest of the round with my results tapering off. I think I broke about 12, but diddn't really blast any of them. Next I tried a modified choke, and missed all but 5 or 6. I guess the pattern just opened up too much, so I switched back to full, and had the hang of it by then. I was very pleased (and definetely a bit surprised)with the results. I think I'm hooked!:D Can't wait to go out again. When you say 16 yard line, does that mean your shooting from 16 yards behind the trap house? That sounds about like where we shot from, but I diddn't ask that question.

Yea its 16 behind the machine. The first round of trap I shot with my super nova was the first time I shot the gun at moving targets and I hit 18 then second round I hit 16 and then 18 again and better and better I am a 21 average now (Including the early days of hitting in the teens) But I normally hit a 22-23. The mod choke works fine for me but I shoot kind of fast. Before you know it you will hit your 25.

Next I tried a modified choke, and missed all but 5 or 6. I guess the pattern just opened up too much

You should take a little time and pattern your gun with the chokes you have to see whats really happening. When I patterned my M2 I was kind of surprised that it was hitting a little to the right of POA, plus you can see if the MOD is open enough to let birds through.

Edited by agm65ccip
POI not equal POA

I would like to see how the gun patterns. The trouble is that the range I shoot at only allows slugs. It's an indoor pistol and riffle range. All the others seem to be gun clubs with a 2 month waiting period before you are "voted in", plus you need sponsers. I'm trying to go to public shoots at a few of them to see which one I like best, but unless I drive up to the coal regions and shoot in the middle of nowhere, it's going to have to wait a bit. That is some sound advice however.

I would like to see how the gun patterns. The trouble is that the range I shoot at only allows slugs. It's an indoor pistol and riffle range. All the others seem to be gun clubs with a 2 month waiting period before you are "voted in", plus you need sponsers. I'm trying to go to public shoots at a few of them to see which one I like best, but unless I drive up to the coal regions and shoot in the middle of nowhere, it's going to have to wait a bit. That is some sound advice however.

Did you ask if you can shoot birdshot at the range? Thats kind of wierd.

They are pretty strict at this indoor range. After talking to them, I think they are concerned about the range backstop not being able to contain all the pellets. One guy had said that they used to allow birdshot, but I got the impression that something bad may have happened, or mabey people were just tired of getting smacked by arrant pellets deflecting of the backstop. On a side note, I took a 22 cal ricochett to the neck some months back at this place. That stung like ****! It was fired from the guy's 22 lever action riffle in the next lane over. I guess I could see concern over a wad of shotgun pellets. Or since it is an indoor range, mabey they just don't like having to clean them all up at the end of the day. Not my call to make however.

They are pretty strict at this indoor range. After talking to them, I think they are concerned about the range backstop not being able to contain all the pellets. One guy had said that they used to allow birdshot, but I got the impression that something bad may have happened, or mabey people were just tired of getting smacked by arrant pellets deflecting of the backstop. On a side note, I took a 22 cal ricochett to the neck some months back at this place. That stung like ****! It was fired from the guy's 22 lever action riffle in the next lane over. I guess I could see concern over a wad of shotgun pellets. Or since it is an indoor range, mabey they just don't like having to clean them all up at the end of the day. Not my call to make however.

Still weird. Sucks that is all you have.

The range I used to go to by my house only allowed buckshot and slugs. They said the birdshot shredded the cardboard and paper target too much compared to the others and caused a mess that they simply didn't want to clean up. They also complained about the little pellets "all over the place." They have since eliminated the use of a shotgun altogether. No big deal, I just have to drive a little further to Iron Sights in Oceanside which allows the use of all three and it's cheaper.

I was just told about a range close by that specializes in trap shooting. Suposedly it even has lights for shooting in the evening. Depending on how things go, I might try to make my way over there for the trap shoot Friday night or Sunday. What sort of targets do you use for patterning birdshot? Just some pieces of paper stapled together?

I was just told about a range close by that specializes in trap shooting. Suposedly it even has lights for shooting in the evening. Depending on how things go, I might try to make my way over there for the trap shoot Friday night or Sunday. What sort of targets do you use for patterning birdshot? Just some pieces of paper stapled together?

Shooting at night is really fun, if you get a chance do it, you find out that smokeless powder isnt :p

As far as targets you can buy targets specifically for patterning but I wouldn't do that. What I ended up doing is getting a roll of blank newspaper ~45" wide and stapled squares to a cardboard box. What you are looking for is something about 40" square, so things like the sides of refrigerator boxes would work well. I wouldn't spend money because you are shooting this paper or whatever basically once and then throwing it away for a new sheet so unless you want to frame your perfect shot its just not worth it.

Then I just put a small black square in the middle of the sheet so I knew where I was aiming and let fly. Nothing too complex.

poster board size targets.

i have a benelli nova tactical with the ghost rings as well.and a mossberg persuader.i like the feel and look of both guns equally but the mossberg is alot more reliable my nova seems to get a shell jammed between the chamber and the shell carrier a few times out of 25 shots and ive fired 300 shells so far. besides i can pump the mossy faster not to mention the 8 shot capacity:) anyone else have anything like this happen?

i have a benelli nova tactical with the ghost rings as well.and a mossberg persuader.i like the feel and look of both guns equally but the mossberg is alot more reliable my nova seems to get a shell jammed between the chamber and the shell carrier a few times out of 25 shots and ive fired 300 shells so far. besides i can pump the mossy faster not to mention the 8 shot capacity:) anyone else have anything like this happen?

I have 2 novas and a supernova.

My first nova has about 8000 rounds through it with zero problems. I don't have many rounds through my others but they also have no problems.

Your mossberg has a shorter action than your nova which is why you (most likely than) be able to pump it faster.

I had some early issues with mine not extracting the spent shell from the chamber, but trying to feed the next one up from the mag, causing a jamb. That problem seems to have resolved it's self however. Haven't had it happen in a while. It is also possible that I was being to gentile when racking the slide, but either way, everything seems fine now in my Nova. My Supernova now has just over 100 shells through it, with no problems of any kind.

You wont find any problems in any new pump after 100 rounds but my supernova has had about 2700 rounds without one miss fire. It has always cycled good except with Winchester shells. Is it just me or are Winchesters bad on reliability? I have seen auto's eat up Remington and Federal shells all day but wouldn't even cycle Winchester shells right for singles. One of my friends had an 1100 jam shut with a Winchester shell and he had to use another gun to finish the round.

You wont find any problems in any new pump after 100 rounds but my supernova has had about 2700 rounds without one miss fire. It has always cycled good except with Winchester shells. Is it just me or are Winchesters bad on reliability? I have seen auto's eat up Remington and Federal shells all day but wouldn't even cycle Winchester shells right for singles. One of my friends had an 1100 jam shut with a Winchester shell and he had to use another gun to finish the round.

I've had not problems with winchester at all.