M4 for My Wife - Questions

Gasser

First off thanks for all the posts and the discussion on this forum; for a newbie like me it's been very educational.

I have decided to buy a shotgun for home defense and to give my wife some peace of mind when I am away. BTW, my wife is ex-army and has more experience with tactical weapons than I do. She also wants to practice with it regularly when I go to the range.

After some research and discussion with friends, I like the M4 for her for:

• 1) Semi-auto speed/simplicity
  • 2) General build quality/reliability of Benelli
  • 3) Adjustable telestock may offer a better fit with her reach
  • 4) "Reduced" recoil of gas system, and
  • 5) Overall Bad-Assness (OK, more for me)

So my questions are:

• 1) Are my conclusions about the M4 incorrect? Is this shotgun a bad idea for my wife's use?
  • 2) In Texas can I legally own a model 11707 with the factory telestock? Can I then legally install a 2+ extension (imported or US-made)? I've read hundreds of posts (here, AR-15.com forum, even GlockTalk) about 922® and the AWB and still have not seen a definitive (and current) YES/NO concerning an 11707 with telestock and 2+ extension. Seems almost everyone here has their M4 configured this way but is this strictly legal?
  • 3) Any tips on how to make this count as an anniversary gift will be much appreciated. Just kidding. Not really.

Thanks, Jim.

Originally posted by Gasser:

First off thanks for all the posts and the discussion on this forum; for a newbie like me it's been very educational.

I have decided to buy a shotgun for home defense and to give my wife some peace of mind when I am away. BTW, my wife is ex-army and has more experience with tactical weapons than I do. She also wants to practice with it regularly when I go to the range.

After some research and discussion with friends, I like the M4 for her for:

• 1) Semi-auto speed/simplicity
  • 2) General build quality/reliability of Benelli
  • 3) Adjustable telestock may offer a better fit with her reach
  • 4) "Reduced" recoil of gas system, and
  • 5) Overall Bad-Assness (OK, more for me)

So my questions are:

• 1) Are my conclusions about the M4 incorrect? Is this shotgun a bad idea for my wife's use?
  • 2) In Texas can I legally own a model 11707 with the factory telestock? Can I then legally install a 2+ extension (imported or US-made)? I've read hundreds of posts (here, AR-15.com forum, even GlockTalk) about 922® and the AWB and still have not seen a definitive (and current) YES/NO concerning an 11707 with telestock and 2+ extension. Seems almost everyone here has their M4 configured this way but is this strictly legal?
  • 3) Any tips on how to make this count as an anniversary gift will be much appreciated. Just kidding. Not really.

Thanks, Jim.

I wouldn't call the stock adjustable. It's either in the collapsed position or fully extended position. I don't think there is in between. And I don't think you can get the +2 extension anymore because Benelli has stopped importing them because of BATF. You can, however, get aftermarket extension though.

You're pretty much right on the money on the other stuff. And your wife will love it! :D

[ 03-08-2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Kinny ]

If your going to get a gun SOLEY for home protection I personally prefer a pump. Don't get me wrong the M4 is a fine weapon. Doubtful it will let you down. You seem to know your laws, they vary from state to state obviously. I thought it was illegal NOT to own a gun in Texas. Nah but guns are welcomed in your state by more then less fortunately. I'm just a Murphy's Law guy. "If something can go wrong it will, etc. etc." I've got several tactical shotguns (some semi auto, others pump) (I Run a gun shop/range you'd be suprised how cheap some people sell there firearms, as a result my collection has benefitted) Out of the 5 shotguns I own the longest barrel I own is an 18.25"er! The shotgun I keep at the ready for home defense is a Wilson Scattergun. I've never seen or had a pump shotgun not cycle a round. I have seen a semi-auto shotgun not cycle a round. It wasn't an M4 however. (Or a Benelli for that matter)

I just assumed that the collapsible stock had a "middle" position based on Benelli's description:

ben003aaa_lg.gif

Can someone with an 11707 clarify the action of the stock?

With regard to the extension tube, this option is a lower priority for me. Are you confirming what I read in the regs, namely that the aftermarket extensions (presumeably US-made) would be legal but the imports (Benelli's) are not?

And my main question is can I own a collapsible stock 11707 and be fully law-abiding? I understand how unlikely it is that BATF or other LE will snoop around my safe or question me at the range. But remember I'm buying this for my wife, mostly ;) . Can you imagine the grief I'm in for if she does get questioned about it and doesn't have the right answer? Or if she uses it as intended, shoots some idiot intruder and then has to explain to local LE how this fancy shotgun is mostly legal? I'm not looking for a divorce smile.gif .

Maybe this is just an obviously settled issue, after all, Benelli does sell the 11707 here (not enough apparently). But having read through the forums it seemed like back in 2004 the telestock made the M4 questionably legal, whereas in 2006 it seems to be a non-issue. Forgive the newbie question, but is this lack of controversy in the forums because something has changed and this configuration is now legal, or are people just tired of the issue and everyone sets up their M4 like this anyway?

Can anyone here comment on this, please? If the answer is not clear-cut, knowing where the uncertainty lies would also be very useful. I'm happy to take email comments, too. jalyttle99 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Yes, the collapsable stock is legal in Texas. BATF outlawed the +2 extension for the Benelli. This is why the supply has ran dry because Benelli has stopped importing them. However, I doubt you'll be question for the +2 extension. Most people at the range just aren't observant enough to know this fact.

Why Benelli can't sell the +2 makes 0 sense to me. I think the ATF is picking on them. They can't use the reason "its an imported semiauto...." I know of an imported tactical shotgun (from Belgium) that comes w/ an extended magazine standard. It's actually a shotgun quite similar to the M4, (gas operated, pic. rail, etc.) its just not made by Benelli. Last time I went into detail about said shotgun (make,model) my post disappeared. Can't blame Benelli for not wanting people to talk about the competion. In this instance the BATFE isn't showing the same treatment to Benelli as it is to the competion. Seems unfair to say the least.