New M3 Owner With Some Questions

870ISOVERRATED

Hello all! I just picked up an H&K/Benelli M3 locally today (at a local pawn of all places) and had a couple questions:

1) It is a Heckler & Koch marked gun. I've seen references to these being "pre-ban." Does this actually mean anything since the sunset of the AWB?

2) I need a new forearm for it. I found new ones at Brownells, but will forearms for the Nova's/Supernova's work as well? Or, are there any aftermarket forearms that will fit?

3) Any thoughts on why the M3 isn't more popular? I admittedly stumbled across mine myself, but I was looking online afterwards and it seems used guns go for the same or just slightly more than the M1's.

Thanks for your help!

Hello all! I just picked up an H&K/Benelli M3 locally today (at a local pawn of all places) and had a couple questions:

1) It is a Heckler & Koch marked gun. I've seen references to these being "pre-ban." Does this actually mean anything since the sunset of the AWB?

2) I need a new forearm for it. I found new ones at Brownells, but will forearms for the Nova's/Supernova's work as well? Or, are there any aftermarket forearms that will fit?

3) Any thoughts on why the M3 isn't more popular? I admittedly stumbled across mine myself, but I was looking online afterwards and it seems used guns go for the same or just slightly more than the M1's.

Thanks for your help!

HK was the importer for Benelli. So thats why the Hk markings.

The M3 is unique and only M3 forarm will work. The stock may be interchangable with an M1 ( I believe )

If you really want a all around shottie...try finding the 26" barrel & chokes for hunting...thats the ultimate package.

The M3 was hit and miss..the concept was great..but after some study..It was found beeter to be one or the other..semi or pump but not both.

Under duress it could create confussion.

If I stumble across another M3 at a reasonable price I would buy another

Thanks for your help!

The pump function was designed for Law Enforcement Officers to have a dual purpose shotgun. It would give the officer the fire power of a semi-auto, and then offer them the use of the same shotgun to fire special purpose rounds such as gas, rubber projectiles, bean bags, etc. that did not have the energy to operate the semi-auto action, thus giving them the use of two shotguns in one.

It was too expensive for most departments to buy, as you could buy 2 Remingtons, or Mossbergs for less than the price of one Benelli. Now you see the bright orange colored "Less Lethal" marked guns used for the special purpose rounds, with the old standby pumps still used, as a lot of departments still won't go to a semi-auto.