Shell Stop working a little too well.

Renault

So i replaced my factory tube with kips new tube. This probably has nothing to do with my problem, its just the last thing i did before the problem arose.

So to test it out i loaded up 1 a shell then 7 in the tube. I was stoked. I began to start ejecting the shells but to my dismay only one shell ejected. So i looked inside and saw that the shells were stuck in the tube. I felt around inside and felt the shell stop, and it was preventing the shells from exiting the tube. (The shell stop is connected to the button you press to release the bolt)

So now i'm at a loss, what actions should i take to fix this? will i have to replace the release button and shell stop?

maybe I'm not understanding what you are doing completely but it sounds like you put one in the chamber and 7 in the tube, then pulled back on the charging handle getting the one in the chamber out, then further pulls on the handle do nothing?

If so I would say you have 2 options:

(my favorite) shoot them out.

or hold the bolt open and press the cartridge drop lever (the one with the red dot on it)

So i replaced my factory tube with kips new tube. This probably has nothing to do with my problem, its just the last thing i did before the problem arose.

So to test it out i loaded up 1 a shell then 7 in the tube. I was stoked. I began to start ejecting the shells but to my dismay only one shell ejected. So i looked inside and saw that the shells were stuck in the tube. I felt around inside and felt the shell stop, and it was preventing the shells from exiting the tube. (The shell stop is connected to the button you press to release the bolt)

So now i'm at a loss, what actions should i take to fix this? will i have to replace the release button and shell stop?

Uhh ... and the problem is what exactly?

That's what the shell stop is there for ... to keep the shells in the tube.

Pressing it in once gets you one shell ejected.

Have you fired the weapon yet? Do they come out on their own when cycling?

Sounds to me like you are good to go and need to spend some more time reading the manual ... unless I am missing something?

After the shell i loaded into the chamber ejects, the other shells do not leave the tube no matter how many times i pull the handle back. I can't shoot them out or manually eject them because the shell stop is preventing another shell from loading into the chamber. They're just stuck in the tube and i have to remove them by removing them from the tube out the front.

Did you already try something like this?

http://www.militec1.com/firearms/manual26.html

or the official way to describe what I was thinking:

B) using the cartridge drop lever (when the cartridge is coming from the magazine)

1) Rest the stock on your hip and pull the

cocking lever to open the bolt: the cartridge

in the chamber is extracted and

ejected from the gun (fig. 25).

2) Press the cartridge drop lever and release

the cocking lever to reclose the bolt. In

this way, the cartridge will pass quickly

from the magazine to the chamber.

Edited by agm65ccip
formatting

Yes I've tried manually depressing the shell stop and that does allow shells to be removed from the magazine, but it still will not cycle without me pressing on the shell stop.

It seems to me that the part where the shell stop curves is protruding too far out. That is why if i press it with my finger the shell will be able to come out of the magazine tube, but for some reason when i pull the bolt back the shells get stuck on the shell stop. (i have tried different shells from different boxes, same thing)

manual16.gif

Pressing the shell release lever does not eject a round from the magazine on top of the shell elevator? See 6d. If you have a round chambered, when you press the shell elevator, a round should eject from the magazine tube onto the shell elevator.

Have you tried reinstalling the factory magazine tube to see if the problem continues?

Have you modified or replaced the bolt release button?

What method did you use to put the weapon in a vice to remove the magazine tube?

Pressing the shell release lever does not eject a round from the magazine on top of the shell elevator? See 6d. If you have a round chambered, when you press the shell elevator, a round should eject from the magazine tube onto the shell elevator.

Have you tried reinstalling the factory magazine tube to see if the problem continues?

Have you modified or replaced the bolt release button?

What method did you use to put the weapon in a vice to remove the magazine tube?

Rounds are not ejecting from the magazine tube onto the shell elevator because it will not get passed the shell stop. The shell stop is protruding to far out. If i press down on the shell stop with my finger while the bolt is back then a shell will eject from the magazine tube into the elevator.

I haven't tried reinstalling the factory tube, but by all indications that doesn't seem to be what is causing the problem.

I have not modified or replaced the bolt release button, but maybe taking off the bolt release button and shell stop and shell stop spring, and seeing if something is wrong with them is probably my next step.

I used the heat it up for about 2-3 minutes, place between my thighs and twist with my hands method. I used no tools other than gloves with little rubber dots on them, my legs, and a heat gun. It may be far fetched but could i have dripped some locktite behind my shell stop or something? I really don't know it looks like I'm going to have to take apart my m4 to get to the bottom of this.

In a normal 'live' shooting cycle, pulling the trigger will simultaneously depress the shell stop and cycle a shell into the carrier. However, if you are just racking the bolt handle without actually shooting off a round, then you would have just ejected a chambered round but not resetting the trigger.

If you don't reset the trigger, then the following round in the magazine will not fall into the carrier. If you wanna simulate the loading of the shell from the magazine into the chamber then you have to depress the cartridge drop lever which will as the name implies, ' drop a cartridge into the carrier'. With the shell in the carrier, the action of moving the bolt back will lift the carrier and the shell into the bolt head and your shell will subsequently be loaded into the chamber.

If all else fails, try shooting the gun with a live round.

It also sounded like you are trying to top it off with one round in the chamber plus a full magazine. It always freaked me out a little bit that the gun must be cocked before you can load cartridges in the magazine. The "Cartridge Drop Lever" is not the same as the "Bolt". Make sure you are operating them in the correct order. Operating the Cartridge Drop Lever makes the same sound as pulling the trigger. I think both operations decock the gun so I am reluctant to press the cartridge drop lever with a live round chambered and the bolt closed. I bought some 12ga Snap Caps (dummy rounds) to practice with and was glad that I did.

Try loading fewer shells; load two in the magazine and NONE in the chamber. Press the cartridge drop lever to decock it and cycle the bolt to load the first round. You have to either pull the trigger (on the range or with Snap Caps only please!) or eject the chambered round and press the drop lever again to get the next round to cycle! It has to be decocked for the shell stop to allow the next round up the feed ramp. Using DUMMY ROUNDS, pulling the trigger, and cycling the bolt each time will eject the rounds like you are expecting. Add more shells if everything works OK to see if the new tube is the culprit.

After making any mods, or even reassebling the gun after cleaning, I run my Snap Caps (dummy rounds) through the action to check everything out. Remember to keep them separate from the live ammo. I keep mine in my cleaning kit.

Edited by OhioM4

If you are new to this like I am...definitely get some Snap Caps (dummy rounds) and remember to keep them separate from the live ammo. I keep mine in my cleaning kit.

Excellent advice. I think a lot of confusion stems from a couple of unique characteristics of this shotgun, especially with those of us pretty much 870 only experience.

I read and re-read the owners manual, but had a few lingering questions about if a trigger pull would yield the same results as using the CDL in certain circumstances. Obviously, Snap Caps are useful here.

It's also a much better idea to practice reloading (at least initially and indoors) with Snap Caps. Mine are distinctive enough so as to not be confused w/ammo. Only weakness during reloading drill is that they are so light they don't react like a shell does in your hand. If possible get rounds with some heft to them.

Edited by BigHat

What did you end up doing to make it happen? (by happen I mean work)

:(

I feel like an idiot, but pulling the trigger and resetting the shell stop... basically what OhioM4 told me to do. Like he stated it has to be de-cocked for the shell stop to allow the next shell onto the ramp. (i was under the impression that just racking the bolt and releasing it should allow the shells to be chambered, but i was wrong)

But now I know right? At least i learned, is how i look at this.

I feel like an idiot, but pulling the trigger and resetting the shell stop... basically what OhioM4 told me to do. Like he stated it has to be de-cocked for the shell stop to allow the next shell onto the ramp. (i was under the impression that just racking the bolt and releasing it should allow the shells to be chambered, but i was wrong)

Heh, I figured it was just pure user error.

We've all been there ... now you know!

The m4 is a bit different from most shotguns, it takes a bit of getting used to.

I am looking to purchase a pistol in the near future so I have been renting various makes and models at the range. Last week I started loading cartridges in the magazine of a SW MP9 and when I went to insert the magazine I realized I was putting the cartridges in backwards. I felt pretty stupid but at least no one was around to see it. If you look back on all of these posts the guys on this forum were pretty helpful, not too condescending, and offered tons of helpful advice.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question...but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!:confused:

One time I was shooting a friends gun which was an auto and I was used to my old 870. I then tried to pump the gun and asked why the gun wouldn't pump. He started laughing and said that is a good one. I then looked down and realized it was an auto. Don't worry everybody has a stupid moment.

One time I was shooting a friends gun which was an auto and I was used to my old 870. I then tried to pump the gun and asked why the gun wouldn't pump. He started laughing and said that is a good one. I then looked down and realized it was an auto. Don't worry everybody has a stupid moment.

I did one of the same thing when I was shooting skeet. I when from shooting my O/U to my Nova and couldn't figure out why I kept missing the second target. DA, pump the action.