looking at starting hunting...

dillonious

Alright, i recently bought a Nova pump with intention of trying my hand at hunting this year. I was just wondering if theres any really good how too type articles on the net that i should read. Ill be starting from scratch, i have hiked allot and shot allot but never hunted. Also ill probly just be going for whitetail, why type of round should i use? I was thinking of just going with the lightest slug my Nova will chamber. Thanks for the help.

Alright, i recently bought a Nova pump with intention of trying my hand at hunting this year. I was just wondering if theres any really good how too type articles on the net that i should read. Ill be starting from scratch, i have hiked allot and shot allot but never hunted. Also ill probly just be going for whitetail, why type of round should i use? I was thinking of just going with the lightest slug my Nova will chamber. Thanks for the help.

Did you buy a rifled slug barrel nova or just a field barrel?

Actually it has 18.5" with ghost ring sights. Thus far i havent been able to take it to the range to see how well i can hit targets with rifled slugs. Im not thinking it will be hard to hit stuff once i learn how it shoots though...

You should be able to hit 50-75 yards with that gun. You will have to buy different slugs to see which ones work the best for you. All guns and barrels are different.

Well i should be able to make it out to the range this week sometime. This will be my first time ever shooting a shotgun for groups, so it should be fun. If i remember the range close to me has targets at 50 yards, so if what you say about 75 being my top range ill probly zero at 50 and call it good. I plan on hunting on some land that is perty thickly forested anyway so i doubt ill get shots farther than that.

Anyway in the meantime what kinda of reading should i do on the actual art of hunting. I have heard guys talk about "tactics" but i would like to read up on some stuff so im not completely clueless out there...

Well i should be able to make it out to the range this week sometime. This will be my first time ever shooting a shotgun for groups, so it should be fun. If i remember the range close to me has targets at 50 yards, so if what you say about 75 being my top range ill probly zero at 50 and call it good. I plan on hunting on some land that is perty thickly forested anyway so i doubt ill get shots farther than that.

Anyway in the meantime what kinda of reading should i do on the actual art of hunting. I have heard guys talk about "tactics" but i would like to read up on some stuff so im not completely clueless out there...

I would start with the shotgun first, they worry about the deer. If this is your first time shooting a hunting slug, your going to flinch. Flinch will throw off your shot everytime. Start shooting at 10 yards and work back. You want to hit a 6 inch target everytime. 4 inch would be better but 6 is Ok. You will want to try different slugs to get the best group.

You should have talked to the gun dealer, he would have recommended a longer barrel for hunting, because right now your taking out a home defense gun for shooting. It can be done dont get me wrong but your going to get much better results with a longer barrel. Also if your going to be doing slug shooting you should pick up the slug barrel they make for your nova, mount on a trueglow red dot sight or mount a scope and hit those deer up to 200 yards away. If this is your first season of hunting its going to be real hard for you to get within 50 yards of a deer unless you start learning some real tactics (scent elimination, wind knowledge, posistioning, feeding habbits/ etc.). You will be surprised the tips you can find on the outdoor network. Start there and pick up the tips offered on every hunting show. Great luck - enjoy your backstraps.

As far as shooting and flinching, thats not a problem. I have ALLOT of experience shooting high powered rifles in competition up to and including 50BMG.

As far as the shotgun goes, i bought it intentionally as a defense type (that will be this shotguns primary function). I figured if the 18.5" barrel didnt hack it then i would get a rifled slug barrel. Anyways thanks for the advise guys, i understand that this set up is not the optimum, but its just how i operate sometimes:D

Alrighty i made it to the range today and tryed shooting some 1oz 2 3/4" slugs. It was a challenge even to get em on paper. Im thinking im going to get a laser bore sighter and get my sights close at around 25 yards in my back yard. If i get my sights on the laser at 25 yards about how low or high will i be? Looking at Federals slug ballistics it looks like ill be about 2" low. Anyway im thinking the factory zero on the tactical set up is for stupid close range hence why i couldnt hardly hit anything. Any other advise? If i cannot get the sights to zero after bore sighting it and walking it out ill just get a slug barrel. But at any rate it was fun launching slugs.:D

Get some 00 Buckshot. Your short barrel should make quite a spread. I highly suggest getting Hornady SST slugs. They shoot 2000 fps and are a blast to shoot! I would suggest not purchasing the bore sighter because looking down your barrel and working back as Novaking suggested will yield the best results and save you some cash.