Removing rail question

Hookster

Thanks, I'll have heat gun standing by just in case.

Is whatever threadlocker they use at the factory in Italy on the mag tubes etc. in the "high strength hold" range like red loctite or more like the blue med. strength?

It is very different from both. I would say a cross between the two and an epoxy or something.

I can't recall if my receiver had locktite from the factory or not. I removed it like 5 years ago.

You'll want the locktite with the Sidearmor because there are no lock washers used. The replacement bolts are hexhead. Be careful not to overtighten and strip the threads in the receiver. They don't have to be loose by any means, but don't crank them down like a lug nut.

I didn't bother to put locktite on my new mag tube. I like the ability to pull it during cleaning. I scrapped shooting this week since it is 122 degrees in the shade, and there aint much shade. Even at night it is 105.

I can't recall if my receiver had locktite from the factory or not. I removed it like 5 years ago.

You'll want the locktite with the Sidearmor because there are no lock washers used. The replacement bolts are hexhead. Be careful not to overtighten and strip the threads in the receiver. They don't have to be loose by any means, but don't crank them down like a lug nut.

I didn't bother to put locktite on my new mag tube. I like the ability to pull it during cleaning. I scrapped shooting this week since it is 122 degrees in the shade, and there aint much shade. Even at night it is 105.

Where do you live, New Mexico or something? Damn!

quot[e=Posha;89634]If you have a fairly new M4, in theory you will only need a metric hex wrench and a heat torch to remove 6 flat head hex screws on the upper rail. Some vendors will include the wrench and 6 extra screws in the very likely event that you might strip them. (The threads are welded with lock-tite). The recommendation is that you heat the screws with torch, then very simply back the screws out. Yeah right! I stripped three, and now the unit is at a local machinist for damage control. t's a bit tricky, and you have to be careful not to overheat the aluminum.

I'd seen the post above from 2008 in a thread about installing the Brugger and Thomet forend and it made me a little nervous about getting the screws out. Good to hear you guys didn't have too many issues with removal.

122......mmmm..toasty

Hottest city in North America. Bullhead City, Arizona. It's humid today and I'm on patrol outdoors. Sucks big floppy donkey dong.

Meh, that rips. For their part, I will say the LSUS cops impress me wearing their IIA body armor and pedalling around on bikes at times on the LSUS campus in 100* weather. Most of those LSUS cops are pretty good people too, or at least when I went there they were. They hand-picked them from units all over the state basically.