Called GG&G today and ordered for my M4

Mr. Shotgun

the oversized charging handle and oversized bolt relase buttons. Paid $159 shipped for the two items.

Got it from GG&G direct, spoke with the sales rep who was real nice and asked me how I liked the M4. I told him "I love it" need to find time to shoot it more.....

anyway, i cant wait to get these parts and install them.

One issue with the GG&G oversized bolt release is it can be a cheese grater for your hand.

Also, you should have bought it from Brownells with the discount. You would probably get it quicker. It would be shipped from out of State (arizona) to avoid sales tax.

l_336000006_1.jpg

It is mandatory that you have the proper sized punch to remove this device. Trying to skate by with a drill bit or some other bubba'smith method won't work. You will end up marring the **** out of the receiver. The pin traverses the receiver rail that the BCG reciprocates within. So you have to drive the pin to an exact depth in order to avoid binding. This is easy to do with quality tools.

If you don't have a good set of punches, I recommend these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=30394/sku/Starrett_Pin_Punch_Set_#565/827525860

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=45715/sku/Roll_Pin_Starter_Punch_Kit/080000241

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3016/sku/Roll_Pin_Holders_Set/080685000

Pay attention to where the bolt release spring seats before you disassemble. The spring is not held in place or indexed by anything. It's simply held between the release and the receiver. Note where this place is, to avoid future headaches and guesswork.

I had the GG&G oversized bolt handle for a while also. I noticed that the carrier was more sluggish due to the added weight.

The GG&G unit is approximately 24.5 grams. The stock unit is 12.5 grams.

I would opt for the Titanium model from Design Concepts, but they were sadly discontinued. Kip is releasing a Titanium model in the near future. I predict the machining will be better on Kip's than on the DC model. The knurling was poorly done on the DC handle (cosmetic issue only).

The CM button doesn't seem in the same league as the GG&G button, honestly. Is the later worth twice the price... maybe.

I have not used one, looks good, but I have not personally fondled one. My GG&G button WAS good fit/finish. But you need to use those in conjunction with a larger charging bolt.

One issue with the GG&G oversized bolt release is it can be a cheese grater for your hand.

Also, you should have bought it from Brownells with the discount. You would probably get it quicker. It would be shipped from out of State (arizona) to avoid sales tax.

It is mandatory that you have the proper sized punch to remove this device. Trying to skate by with a drill bit or some other bubba'smith method won't work. You will end up marring the **** out of the receiver. The pin traverses the receiver rail that the BCG reciprocates within. So you have to drive the pin to an exact depth in order to avoid binding. This is easy to do with quality tools.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=30394/sku/Starrett_Pin_Punch_Set_#565/827525860

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=45715/sku/Roll_Pin_Starter_Punch_Kit/080000241

Pay attention to where the bolt release spring seats before you disassemble. The spring is not held in place or indexed by anything. It's simply held between the release and the receiver. Note where this place is, to avoid future headaches and guesswork.

I had the GG&G oversized bolt handle for a while also. I noticed that the carrier was more sluggish due to the added weight.

I would opt for the Titanium model from Design Concepts, but they were sadly discontinued. Kip is releasing a Titanium model in the near future. I predict the machining will be better on Kip's than on the DC model. The knurling was poorly done on the DC handle (cosmetic issue only).

I bought my punch-set from harbor Freight for something like $8. It worked fine. This is an easy operation and shouldn't cause any bubba marks. Use common sense and SOP for spring-loaded parts held in by a pin and you will be fine. This means slave pins, etc. should be used or improvised/

l_336000006_1.jpg

When I swapped it out, I used a second punch to properly align the lever from the bottom while I drove the pin in from the top. This kept everything in perfect alignment.

thanks for your input guys....im kinda nervous about installing this by myself though...

What is the roll pin size? Is it the 1/16" or next size up. I used to be a machinist and can say that quality tools are required to do quality work. The last thing you would want to do is break off a pin punch in the receiver. However, spending $150 on punch sets to install a $150 (or $59) part appears excessive. I'd rather buy just the size I need for the job. I don't do too much mechanical work any more and would never use the other drive pin punch sizes.

What is the roll pin size? Is it the 1/16" or next size up. I used to be a machinist and can say that quality tools are required to do quality work. The last thing you would want to do is break off a pin punch in the receiver. However, spending $150 on punch sets to install a $150 (or $59) part appears excessive. I'd rather buy just the size I need for the job. I don't do too much mechanical work any more and would never use the other drive pin punch sizes.

IIRC, it is 5/32s I'd have to check which punch I used.

3/32 seemed to fit well. I don't have the instructions anymore from GG&G. It's been 4 or 5 years.

Using an alignment pin will make the job even easier.

While it does suck to buy costly tools, I find it better than the alternative. I guess you could buy just a single punch, but it seems it would be smarter to just buy a complete set.

Most other rifles and handguns have pins that these can be used on. The roll pin holder set will make your life easier.

I used 3/32" to drive the pin out. I was slightly loose in the bore. I used 5/64" to drive the pin back in while holding it in alignment with the 3/32" snapon punch. I would guess that the pin is actually a 7/64th" diameter based on the 3/32" punch being sufficient, albiet slightly loose.

I used 3/32" to drive the pin out. I was slightly loose in the bore. I used 5/64" to drive the pin back in while holding it in alignment with the 3/32" snapon punch. I would guess that the pin is actually a 7/64th" diameter based on the 3/32" punch being sufficient, albiet slightly loose.

should I drive the pin out thru the top or the bottom?

Update:

My order arrived today to my surprise, one day early.

I already installed the charging handle, which was pretty stright forward. Weight wise it feels real light, almost as light as the stocker. I put a coat of gun oil on the threads before I stuck it in my gun.

As for the bolt carrier release, I'll wait for my bro to bring home his punch set from his job, then I will attempt to install it.

In the instructions it says use a bit of locktite on the screw... is it ok to use loctite blue? I dont want it to be permanent by using the red though..

Update:

My order arrived today to my surprise, one day early.

I already installed the charging handle, which was pretty stright forward. Weight wise it feels real light, almost as light as the stocker. I put a coat of gun oil on the threads before I stuck it in my gun.

There shouldn't have been threads on it. Can you elaborate? I honestly would have passed on that as they bend easily, but for the price, minimal pain when it does.

As for the bolt carrier release, I'll wait for my bro to bring home his punch set from his job, then I will attempt to install it.

In the instructions it says use a bit of locktite on the screw... is it ok to use loctite blue? I dont want it to be permanent by using the red though..

I wouldn't put ANY loctite on an allen head bolt. They strip SO easily. Just tighten it down per the instructions. Again, use TWO punches when reinstalling it. One to align the release lever, the other to drive the pin in. The pin will push the bottom punch out as it is only there for alignment. Check inside with a flashlight to ensure you have properly centered the pin between the retaining rails(you have to look inside from the muzzle end to do this). I find this easiest to do with barrel, magazine, and bolt removed.

There shouldn't have been threads on it. Can you elaborate? I honestly would have passed on that as they bend easily, but for the price, minimal pain when it does.

My apologies, there werent any threads on it at all, I guess what I meant to say was that before I installed the charging handle, I coated the rod end of it first with gun lube then put it into the bolt carrier assembly.

I wouldn't put ANY loctite on an allen head bolt. They strip SO easily. Just tighten it down per the instructions. Again, use TWO punches when reinstalling it. One to align the release lever, the other to drive the pin in. The pin will push the bottom punch out as it is only there for alignment. Check inside with a flashlight to ensure you have properly centered the pin between the retaining rails(you have to look inside from the muzzle end to do this). I find this easiest to do with barrel, magazine, and bolt removed.

Yep, thanks for the tip, I will attempt the install and report back if I was successful...