2+ extension and spring retaining clip

SeraphimofNight

Hey all, just a few questions to clarify some of my problems. First off, I purchased and installed a 2shot extension for my benelli m4, but this is where my problem began as I did not do the install of it or assemble the gun (the store did). It is a problem because I"m assuming they did it right, but am not sure.

Like many of you one of my first problems came with the failure of the spring to insert the final shell in test firing, also like others have noticed i had difficulty in getting 7 shells into it, topping out at 6. Frustrated, I came here and after reading I decided to re-install the original 5 shot tube and spring until i could get a benelli extension or spring. When I pulled this apart I was immediately struck by how the original spring for the 5 shot was not only much longer, it was much stronger than the add-on spring for the 7 shot. Also, there was a part that had not been installed - the spring retaining clip which was left out with the original 5-shot mag and apparently not installed by the gunshop.

When re-installing i carefully reached the part where you install the spring retaining clip and much to my dismay the retainer did not even fit in the mag but rather was the same diameter and has no chance of going into the tube (this was confusing as I did not originally disassemble it and the manual instructions made no sense with the 5 shot mag). When i went to double check the user manual, the spring slipped from my grasp and shot that retaining clip to god knows where. So, do I actually need that part that did not even properly fit in the 5-shot mag? Or can the weapon function fine without it?

Or, even if it is fine without it in the 5-shot, will I need it for a better 7 shot extension and spring combo?

Also, there was a part that had not been installed - the spring retaining clip which was left out with the original 5-shot mag and apparently not installed by the gunshop.

VERY easy to damage the spring without the retainer in place when tightening the magazine cap. Bad, Bad, Bad.

When re-installing i carefully reached the part where you install the spring retaining clip and much to my dismay the retainer did not even fit in the mag but rather was the same diameter and has no chance of going into the tube (this was confusing as I did not originally disassemble it and the manual instructions made no sense with the 5 shot mag).

You do realize that it is a spring itself like a snap ring, but instead of being held in place via shoulders like a snap ring, it simply holds itself in place via friction with the sides of the magazine.

When i went to double check the user manual, the spring slipped from my grasp and shot that retaining clip to god knows where.

Were you in the middle of the woods when doing this? WHat the **** do you mean God knows where? Look for the sucker.

So, do I actually need that part that did not even properly fit in the 5-shot mag? Or can the weapon function fine without it?

I wouldn't risk it without it. It is there for a reason. The spring could get twisted and bound up on the cap if its not sitting fluch in the retainer.

Or, even if it is fine without it in the 5-shot, will I need it for a better 7 shot extension and spring combo?

FIND IT.

Well here is the final problem, (outside of tearing my room apart looking for that spring retaining clip and finding nothing), the spring retaining clip does not fit in the magazine tube like it is supposed to in the manual. So how do I make it fit? the retaining clip sits flush with the magazine tub and does not go into it (so there would be no need for pliers to pull it out etc.). So I'm wondering if the 5 piece mag tube (which prevents the spring from reaching the end magazine cap cap, it stops at the indented block) comes premade with a internal cap to hold the tube.

My manual only shows in description the full benelli mag tube which I do not have. My gun does not have a 3 round limiter as it shows in the manual, the actual magazine tube is indented to limit the spring and mag to 5 rounds. I hope i'm being clear but I don't want to damage the gun or fire it until i'm certain.

It is in essence an interference fit. The reason it fits flush with the tube is that you have to compress it (squeeze the two sides together where the notch is via the two small holes, or when inserting it, your had works just as well if not better). If it wasn't so late, I'd pull mine out and take a pic for you. You need it. Find it.

Thanks for all your consideration, I'll pick apart my room again until I find it. My real concern is why the gun shop that assembled it felt free to leave that piece out. Looking back I wish i had assembled the whole thing myself straight out of the box to be certain.

Also, just to clarify, when i squeeze the 2 sides of the clip in and force it into the tub, this will take place about midway up the barrel with the 5 shot and the spring does not come into contact either way with the magazine spring tube cap.

Thanks again for your prompt replies, I feel considerably better knowing what I need to do.

My real concern is why the gun shop that assembled it felt free to leave that piece out. Looking back I wish i had assembled the whole thing myself straight out of the box to be certain.

Indeed, that gun shop is not to be trusted. Although, your extension magazine MAY have an internal shoulder to hold the spring, but I doubt it.

Also, just to clarify, when i squeeze the 2 sides of the clip in and force it into the tub, this will take place about midway up the barrel with the 5 shot and the spring does not come into contact either way with the magazine spring tube cap.

With your 5-shot magazine, you install it BEFORE you put on the dummy extender. With the 2+ extension, the retainer goes in the muzzle end of the extension tube after you've already affixed the extension to the factory magazine. There would be nothing to hold your spring in otherwise except the tube cap with the 2+ extension on it.

Thanks again for your prompt replies, I feel considerably better knowing what I need to do.

Any time, it should make perfect sense when you look at it and get it in the mag tube.