Boresnake question

pierce62

For the ones that have them.

How do you use it? (dry or with solivant)

Both, but usually with solvent

How do you clean it, and how often?

The 12 ga one have is white so you can see just how dirty it gets. I usually put them into a think sock and use the washing machine.

Do you like them?

I use them for all my firearms. Great quick bore cleaner.

I use mine dry except for the fuzzy tip which I put some hoppes bore solvent on. I take the choke out and pull it through the barrel twice. This should get rid of most tough stuff. Then I take a half paper towel folded in half and a jag and get the paper towel almost dripping wet with solvent and run it through. I let the solvent sit and do its job while I clean the rest of the gun. I clean the choke threads in the barrel with an old toothbrush. Then I put a cotton cleaning patch (old cut up shirt) on the tooth brush and clean the inside of the choke. Then I take a new patch with rem oil and clean the outside of the choke, and clean the threads with the tooth brush. Then I run a 1/4 paper towel sqaure through the bore about 3 times. Then I put a little rem oil on the choke threads and replace the choke. That covers the barrel. I clean about every 1000 rounds or every month. Which ever one comes first.

I find them to be okay for knocking the big stuff out of a barrel. In handguns and rifles, I prefer to use jags to remove lead and copper fouling.

In my 12 gauge, I do any final passes with a tornado brissle brush. That thing peals the lead off, literally. At the end of the barrel, there are flakes of lead.

I've shown people in the past that if you don't clean the boresnake often, you'll simply be transfering debris back into the barrel. I cleaned a barrel with a jag until it was completely clean. I then passed a boresnake through once. I then ran a jag down the bore. The patch had a lot more crap on it. There is no way the boresnake is pulling up more debris than a properly sized jag.

I do cleanings after every range trip. My range is the Mojave desert. So sand and crap get everywhere.

Boresnake is excellent for "field cleaning" a shotgun.

We used them extensively when I shot pistol teams.

They are NOT meant to substitute for jags, or a good thorough take down cleaning with solvents, patches, and bristles, etc etc.

I use mine all the time on trap and sporting clay ranges. They are a good "maintenance trick" to keep gun cleaner.

Leave the choke IN so you do not drag crap into the choke threads (the snake string breachloads and then pulls from the choke end). I put a slight spray of Birchwood Casey Barricade on mine.

I clean my Boresnake with basic liquid hand soap from the bathroom sink, cheap and easy. Gets the crud off and when dry, its ready for another Barricade spray and then putting away in my gun bag. (even seen some guys toss them in the wash machine or dishwasher to clean them:eek:!).

I have Bore Snakes for my .22, .223/5.56, and 9mm rifles and pistols. I also have one for my new 12 Ga. SuperNova Tactical. The package insert has the manufacturers suggested cleaning instructions.

Check out Hoppe's Web site. The BoreSnale is machine washable. Someone suggested putting the BoreSnake in delicate garment bag. I think the package insert also indicated that you could tire the BoreSnake into a bundle using the weighted cord.

captnkc

Boresnake is excellent for "field cleaning" a shotgun.

We used them extensively when I shot pistol teams.

They are NOT meant to substitute for jags, or a good thorough take down cleaning with solvents, patches, and bristles, etc etc.

I use mine all the time on trap and sporting clay ranges. They are a good "maintenance trick" to keep gun cleaner.

Leave the choke IN so you do not drag crap into the choke threads (the snake string breachloads and then pulls from the choke end). I put a slight spray of Birchwood Casey Barricade on mine.

I clean my Boresnake with basic liquid hand soap from the bathroom sink, cheap and easy. Gets the crud off and when dry, its ready for another Barricade spray and then putting away in my gun bag. (even seen some guys toss them in the wash machine or dishwasher to clean them:eek:!).

+1 for me.