Benelli Supernova or Remington 1100

CajunGuy

I'm new to the forum as well as the shotgun world. I went out this past weekend and shot some clay's....and I'M HOOKED!!! I don't see how I went this long without it now...lol!!! My dad just handed down his 1972 Remington 1100 (In absolute MINT condition) to me this past weekend. It functioned great after 200 rounds or so of light target load. The only problem is the 2 3/4" chamber limitation. My buddy swears by Benelli (having owned a Nova) and recommended the new Supernova. The pump action isn't an issue for me. I'll defenitely be shooting clay's much more, but will also be out this season hunting dove and duck. With that being said...how will the Supernova compare to the 1100? Is it worth going out and spending the money on the Benelli if the Remington seems to be a solid shotgun?

I'm new to the forum as well as the shotgun world. I went out this past weekend and shot some clay's....and I'M HOOKED!!! I don't see how I went this long without it now...lol!!! My dad just handed down his 1972 Remington 1100 (In absolute MINT condition) to me this past weekend. It functioned great after 200 rounds or so of light target load. The only problem is the 2 3/4" chamber limitation. My buddy swears by Benelli (having owned a Nova) and recommended the new Supernova. The pump action isn't an issue for me. I'll defenitely be shooting clay's much more, but will also be out this season hunting dove and duck. With that being said...how will the Supernova compare to the 1100? Is it worth going out and spending the money on the Benelli if the Remington seems to be a solid shotgun?

Sounds like you have a great free gun. The big story is that everyone needs more than 2 3/4 inch shells. There wrong. The truth is that you can take all shotgun game with 2 3/4 shells. Is it nice to have more pellets. Yes. But if you stay with what you say your going to do with it, You will do just fine.

1100 - The good: Less kick, semi auto, might be worth a good chunk of change in mint condition after awhile, cheaper to lengthen chamber to 3", and many available parts.

The bad: Not as weather resistant, probably fixed choke (but a gunsmith can change that), not camo, cant shot 3.5''s, not anything terrible.

Super Nova - The good: high rib (good for flying targets), extremely weather proof, 3.5" chamber, available in camo, has a shim kit, and removable chokes.

The bad: will kick harder, has a bulky fore grip and over all feel, and bead is a little big IMO.

The Super Nova is a little more suited to your needs if you ask me. What I would do in your situation, Is go to a good gunsmith, have him lengthen the chamber to 3" and put choke threads in it, and keep it. It is handed down from your dad and in mint condition and it will probably be worth more if you save it for awhile and invest in a quality gun that fits your needs such as the Super Nova. IMO save the 1100 and hand it down to your son (if or when you have one). It doesn't sound like you are very experienced yet so you need to wait and give it some time before you make a decision you might regret.

It doesn't sound like you are very experienced yet so you need to wait and give it some time before you make a decision you might regret.

Agreed, wait and see how the 1100 works for you before you go out buying a new gun. IMHO a semi-auto is better, but you can certainly get opinions to the contrary. I would not be concerned at all about not having 3", especially if the majority of your time is going to be with clay sports. But I would say if you were to do anything getting it cut for removable choke tubes would be the most useful thing.

Thanks for all of your input, I defenitely appreciate it. My main concern is how well the 1100 will hold up in less then ideal conditions. I'd hate to ruin the wood/blueing in the rain, mud, etc. The 1100 is here to stay though...it's not going anywhere...lol. I just want something more durable to take out into the field. I guess the question now is....will I be disappointed with the Supernova after shooting the 1100? It was very smooth with negligible recoil. Will the recoil of the Supernova be THAT much worse? How does the 1100 compare performance wise? Is the Supernova worth it? Thanks again guys.

Thanks for all of your input, I defenitely appreciate it. My main concern is how well the 1100 will hold up in less then ideal conditions. I'd hate to ruin the wood/blueing in the rain, mud, etc. The 1100 is here to stay though...it's not going anywhere...lol. I just want something more durable to take out into the field. I guess the question now is....will I be disappointed with the Supernova after shooting the 1100? It was very smooth with negligible recoil. Will the recoil of the Supernova be THAT much worse? How does the 1100 compare performance wise? Is the Supernova worth it? Thanks again guys.

They are 2 very different guns so they are so hard the campare. If it was me I would use the 1100 for clays and dove and the nova for all the dirty hunting.

The Super Nova does have a high rib and shim kit and being a pump, it has an advantage for trap singles. If you shoot doubles it gets pretty annoying. The recoil is considerable it will make you sore after about 300 rounds in a day, but an 1100 you can shoot at least 3 times that without getting sore. If I were you I would save up for a used M2 or other good auto such as remington or beretta etc. The Super Nova is a smooth gun but you need to feel it because you might not like how it feels/swings. I don't love how it feels/swings but it's very ok and I got used to it fast. You need to shoulder and shoot a gun before you buy it. The 1100 is very durable and as long as you clean it as needed it will not fail or rust. Good luck, if you are unsure keep asking.

• 1 month later...

Oh man, this whole discussion hits home for me. I grew up firing an 1100, and trust me, that weapon has gone with me through everything you could expect to put that SuperNova through, and then some. But I decided I wanted a pump, and so later (today, actually, but I won't get to shoot until Saturday) I'm going to get a SuperNova. I've been huntin' around, and the only pumps that felt right to me were an 870, and the SuperNova. Then I tried the baffled mercury tube on the SuperNova, and I didn't feel anything. I don't think you'll NEED any other shotgun than that wonderful piece of machinery you have right now, but if you want to preserve that beautiful look, (mine's polished and pretty, but I won't lie, she's got a few nicks in the forestock) get a SuperNova. I'm getting one for about $400, new, because they haven't been able to move it. I defy anyone to find an 1100 in the condition yours is in for that much. Get at it.

I would put the 1100 up and keep it,don't do anything to ruin it or change the factory condition. It will be ok to shoot but I would keep it as pristine as I could and buy a gun just for hunting.I would get what I could afford at fit the best.Auto's are great for skeet and other sports but can be tricky to clean for a newbie and are sold in cheaper modles like the Stoger m2000,Mossburg 935 great beginner autos for everything for skeet to Deer. You may want to look at a budget over and under like the condor it's on sale time to time for $350 or less.But, if your set on a pump go with the nova but to me an old remington 870 is hard to beat and fits me alot better than any nova.Good luck with your choice let us know what you choose and cherish the gift from your Dad.;)

I own an 870,1100,1187 all are great guns and have held up well in any condition but they must be taken care of or they will rust.My 1100 is a 1975 model and has the engraving on it. I don't shoot it much at all maybe a quail hunt or something but the weather has to be right and the woods not to thick:D.It was left to me by my Granddaddy and its priceless to me and yours will be to you one day.

• 4 weeks later...

Your dad gave you a great gun. I have hunted with my 1100 for over 40 years and never had a problem with it. I have accumulated all the barrels and the latest was a bbl with screw-in Rem choaks. It will serve you for all your shooting and hunting needs. I would never sell your 1100 but buy a good "beater" like the Super Nova so you can shoot 3" shells. I have both and I like the Super Nova for geese and the 3.5" are not needed where I shoot from a blind (30 yds) tops. No cripples.

Did your pop actually hunt and get some good use with this gun? If so, IMO, it would be pointless to set it in a gun rack, look at it and then spend money on another gun.

How many 1100's have sat rain soaked and muddy in duck blinds and briar patches, received a good cleaning/oiling and then performed like new, next time out.

If you get scratches or dings in it, so what? It's not worth a great deal of money. It's a gun that was meant to be used.

From a sentimental value, I can't imagine much better than carrying a fine shotgun that gave my father so many hours of joy.

Fire up that smokepole!

Did your pop actually hunt and get some good use with this gun? If so, IMO, it would be pointless to set it in a gun rack, look at it and then spend money on another gun.

How many 1100's have sat rain soaked and muddy in duck blinds and briar patches, received a good cleaning/oiling and then performed like new, next time out.

If you get scratches or dings in it, so what? It's not worth a great deal of money. It's a gun that was meant to be used.

From a sentimental value, I can't imagine much better than carrying a fine shotgun that gave my father so many hours of joy.

Fire up that smokepole!

I agree 100%!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I know it's been a while since I've been on here, but I have to tell you, I love my SuperNova. My first day out with her, I broke 85/100, and she just went up from there. I've put at 400 rounds through her since (and shells are getting expensive!) but I'm up to about 95% accuracy. I've had a good many 25/25's and for a non profressional shooter like me, I'm perfectly happy with it.