Need help choosing a shotgun

CajunGuy

I'm looking for a shotgun that can do it all. From clay shooting light loads at the range to upland/field, and waterfowl hunting. I would prefer a very light recoil (as would everyone else). I'd like a good solid all weather finish on the metals, and a synthetic stock/foregrip. I'm leaning towards a semi-auto....but a good pump will work as well (I know...there goes the light recoil....). I'd also like to keep the price close to $1K. I'm the new owner of my Dad's 37 year young Remington 1100 and I love it. It shoots smooth and cycles anything I can throw it in it....as long as its 2 3/4"...lol. Somehthing that will perform as good or better than this shotgun would be ideal. I'd rather not take the 1100 out in the field as I'm trying to keep it in the prestine condition that is was given to me. Any suggestions would be great.

I'd vote an M2, I have been nothing but happy with mine. You get the 3" capability, works well with light loads in my experience. Weight is pretty light, and recoil is negligible with light loads. You might also look at the vinci, if for no other reason that its newer...both are a little over 1000 but not too bad.

If you want to go outside benelli then your choices open up. But I would say that the 1100 you have is a good gun, but you could get a new one with a synthetic stock.

Personally I would try to stick to semi auto, not that I have anything against pumps or others but I just like semis more. :D

make sure to check gunbroker and you'll find a good deal. I got an sbe 2 in max4 for 1400 thats 150 cheaper than i could find it at the gun shops or the cabelas here plus no tax so I saved $ 287 total I spent that on 2 cases of 3" #4's and 1 case of 3" #2's. thats alot of bang bang bang.

I say this one:

BENELLIM2012.jpg

It is the Benelli M2. This is pushing $1000 new in black. I got a good deal on mine just under $1000 unable to tell any difference from new. It cycles 1 oz flawlessly and I will eventually find some 7/8 oz and I have confidence it will do the job. It isn't a super light kicker, but it is a decent kicker. It kicks a noticeably less than my super nova, which is a pump and it's heavier, and a considerably less than my 870. A gas auto would kick lighter but also is dirtier, heavier, and more complicated. The M2 fits perfect for me and most people say it fits near perfect. Another good option is the beretta 391 series.

I went to Gander Mtn. to check out some of the contenders in the semi-auto line. I shouldered the Beretta A391 Extrema 2, the Winchester SX3, and a few Benelli's (SBEII, M2, Vinci). I didn't care much for the feel of the SX3, that and the action seemed pretty stiff. The Beretta was ok but seemed a little bulky. Of course the SBEII felt great...but it's a little pricey for me. I haven't yet handled the Remmy 11-87 though...but looks to be a nice solid semi-auto. I really like the feel of my 1100 and would like to find something comparable....but something that can handle the outdoors....(not blued/wood). As for the M2....it's a 3" chamber....when would you need or prefer a 3 1/2" shotshell? Also...how does the inertia drive compare to the gas operated system of the 1100/11-87? I don't mind the cleaning aspect...as cleaning the gun after every use is a normal routine for me. Recoil and reliability are far more of a concern.

As for the M2....it's a 3" chamber....when would you need or prefer a 3 1/2" shotshell? Also...how does the inertia drive compare to the gas operated system of the 1100/11-87? I don't mind the cleaning aspect...as cleaning the gun after every use is a normal routine for me. Recoil and reliability are far more of a concern.

I don't know a whole lot a about the 3 1/2", but the way it seems is that shells that long are heavy waterfowl/turkey loads when you want a little more power with a little more shot.

I do like the inertia system a little better than gas. I inherited a Smith and Wesson shotgun that had been neglected in the cleaning department and it took forever to get it back up to snuff. I have left my M2 go for 1000 rounds without cleaning and opening it up after that and it was still very clean. I'm with you on the cleaning the gun after each use practice, but I would be more confident in the inertia without cleaning than the gas. The inertia system has only a few parts that are simple to take apart and put back together, and its weight is right between the hands which is where I like it. Its a good system so I wouldn't be worried too much about it.

Thats just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it :p

when would you need or prefer a 3 1/2" shotshell?

You would never need a 3.5". A 2 3/4 will do everything, A 3 inch will do everything with a increased performance, and a 3.5" is further increased. I only use 3.5 in seasons where I usually only take a couple of shots like turkey. But I have killed turkey with 3" before and killed it good and dead. I can afford the extra half inch when I won't even shoot a box of it a year. When it comes to mid volume hunting the price can add up and a miss is affordable and so is the ammo.

Also...how does the inertia drive compare to the gas operated system of the 1100/11-87? I don't mind the cleaning aspect...as cleaning the gun after every use is a normal routine for me. Recoil and reliability are far more of a concern.

If you clean your gun every time you use it both guns will be equally reliable. In theory the M2 is more reliable but this extra reliability will only be found after many rounds without cleaning. The M2's action is as good as a single shot in terms of recoil. But it still seems to kick impressively light for a delayed blow back action. The 1100 has a slight advantage in kick. As far as the actions go if reliability and recoil are of equal importance the 1100's action is better in your case. The M2 kicks plenty light for me though and I shoot high volume and average 1000+ rounds a month. I recommend the M2 but the Remington is a solid and reliable good choice with regular cleaning.

The M2 also comes with 5 chokes that are 3/4" loner than standard/remington chokes. The fact that the benelli chokes are longer means they tapper smoother and patterns better. The M2 also has a raised rib and a better forward balance making it a good moving target gun and that doesn't affect stationary targets. The M2 also has a softer recoil pad and a very soft cheek piece which almost eliminates cheek pain. The M2 also comes with a shim kit to adjust your point of impact which is pretty handy. And finally the M2 has a take down case which is great protection for your gun and it takes up less space than a standard case. The M2 is superior to the 1100 and worth the money IMO. The 1100 is like the gold standard for me though. You will be happy with either gun and more than likely happier with the M2.

If you like Remington, check out the 887 Nitro Mag. Its a bad ass gun that my brother just picked up. It will take 3.5" shells and handle any weather condition you can throw at it plus he got his at Cabelas for $300.00 which was real nice. I have been shooting a SuperNova for the last few months and love it. Low recoil and impervious to any weather condition. You can find this gun from $360.00 to $650.00 brand new depending on the set up and accessories. These are both pump guns but are well under $1,000.00 and guns that I have cycled over 1,000 rounds through each without any cycling issues (and weve stagggered 2-3/4" with 3" and 3.5" and back to 2-3/4" without any issues). The Remmington and my Supernova cycled 500 rounds each last Sunday between my brother and I and our girlfriends shooting clays. Check out all the videos on youtube.com, you will be surprised at the toughness of these two mid priced guns and you will be very happy come hunting season as well! Good luck!

If you like Remington, check out the 887 Nitro Mag. Its a bad ass gun that my brother just picked up. It will take 3.5" shells and handle any weather condition you can throw at it plus he got his at Cabelas for $300.00 which was real nice. I have been shooting a SuperNova for the last few months and love it. Low recoil and impervious to any weather condition. You can find this gun from $360.00 to $650.00 brand new depending on the set up and accessories. These are both pump guns but are well under $1,000.00 and guns that I have cycled over 1,000 rounds through each without any cycling issues (and weve stagggered 2-3/4" with 3" and 3.5" and back to 2-3/4" without any issues). The Remmington and my Supernova cycled 500 rounds each last Sunday between my brother and I and our girlfriends shooting clays. Check out all the videos on youtube.com, you will be surprised at the toughness of these two mid priced guns and you will be very happy come hunting season as well! Good luck!

I say if his price range $1000 he should get the best gun possible. I don't want to go down the pump path again it is alot funner shooting a semi auto for doubles of any thing that flies. When I set a price range for a shotgun I usually go a little over. I dont go $700 under. The 887 is just an 870 coated and made out of plastic. If you are going down the remington pump path go for an 870 wingmaster IMO. The 870's finish is bad, but they are indestructable. They will rust pretty easy if you dont keep them clean.

Options don't hurt, plus the 887 Nitro Mag performs like any high performance pump shotgun for half the price, and no where near your comparison to a plastic 870. Go shoot one and let me know your opinion based on experience. Sure semis are fun but if you know what your doing you can take down just as many birds with a pump. You are required a plug by law for migratory birds so make your shots count. Ill hit 3 birds just as fast as you and your semi with my pump I promise. Do it all the time every hunting season.

Options don't hurt, plus the 887 Nitro Mag performs like any high performance pump shotgun for half the price, and no where near your comparison to a plastic 870. Go shoot one and let me know your opinion based on experience. Sure semis are fun but if you know what your doing you can take down just as many birds with a pump. You are required a plug by law for migratory birds so make your shots count. Ill hit 3 birds just as fast as you and your semi with my pump I promise. Do it all the time every hunting season.

Yes I know when hunting a pump is as good as a semi auto. We are talking about a clay gun to, believe me a pump gets kind of annoying after a while. I have shot one by the way, It is a pretty smooth gun, not as smooth as my super nova, and it feels a little funny to me. Go shoot a couple rounds of doubles with your pump and let me know your opinion based on experience. He said he prefers a semi auto and recoil is a factor. I have made the argument that the pump is just as fast and I have lost the argument.When hunting a semi auto can be faster at times than a pump, but barely. I guarantee you I will throw 3 clays in the air and shoot them faster than you can with your pump if you can hit them all with your pump. When hunting a semi auto can be faster at times than a pump, but barely. I shoot exhibition so I know I can hit them but when I started I couldn't so you probably cant either I don't mean to offend you.

I'm looking for a shotgun that can do it all
None will. That's is exactly why the more experienced folk on this Forum will likely have more than one shotgun. Salesmen and Corporate hype will try and tell you that the gun you buy will do everything from waterfowl to light clay shoots .... Yeah , it will do it, but it will NOT do it all equally well over time. And experience = time spent with shotguns.

That said, general good guns to get you started on the journey of clay to waterfowl (around $1000) are the ones mentioned. Pumps are for lower budget minded folk used to operating the two handed pump style. Not popular on clay ranges unless the shooter is really tuned into them. Semi-Autos are the guns for $1000 prices, break-open shotgun quality starts at $1K. From your experience and love of the Remington 1100, then #1 to look at would be Rem 11-87 Sportsman. That 1100 series is a true classic, all guns have certain quirks, those Remingtons' have a cult like following with more far more love than complaints for many, many years.

Benelli M2 is good choice, but hard to find one new for $1K. More like $1.3K+ . Seems like most folk who own them love it and it has a super-faithful following of Field gunners. The inertial action does have a unique feel and some gas gunners take a bit of getting used to it.

Win. SX3 3" w/synthetic is a very good shooting gun for clays to waterfowl, you can find it right on $1K, but if you don't like the fit it is not for you (but you do know the SX3 has adjustments to customize the stock fit?) Good gun for the money.

Beretta Al391 Urika is a much loved gas gun series. Price is about 1K and quality is high. My personal favorite for 1K price range, but mostly because it fits my body frame well.

A 2-3/4" & 3" capable gun is the general trend nowadays, and lighter, softer recoil is the goal. BUT you can't have it all. Lighter guns carry well and "feel" great in the store, but can kick you harder on felt recoil with heavy hunting loads or long days on the clays range. You can NOT defy the laws of Physics (although sales hype tries!). 3-1/2" chambered guns are still very popular on the waterfowl flyways and extended open seasons on snow geese are keeping them popular. Waterfowl guys using steel shot are real stuck on 3" to 3-1/2" ammo, it will be hard to convince your hunting buddies that a 2-3/4" round was not the reason for a missed duck.

I use a 3-1/2" for turkey, but a 3" and better hunting practice (patience) is A-OK for most hunters, terrain can be the main reason for a 3-1/2" load.

If you don't need heavy loads for most of your use, a 2-3/4" gun will shoot easier on the clays range and will always be in the "rules".

On gun cleaning. Well only whimps whine about cleaning their shotgun. :p Cleaning is a ritual of inspection and care for your gun. You will get used to any shotgun and how to easily clean it; if it is yours.

Yes I know when hunting a pump is as good as a semi auto. We are talking about a clay gun to, believe me a pump gets kind of annoying after a while. I have shot one by the way, It is a pretty smooth gun, not as smooth as my super nova, and it feels a little funny to me. Go shoot a couple rounds of doubles with your pump and let me know your opinion based on experience. He said he prefers a semi auto and recoil is a factor. I have made the argument that the pump is just as fast and I have lost the argument.When hunting a semi auto can be faster at times than a pump, but barely. I guarantee you I will throw 3 clays in the air and shoot them faster than you can with your pump if you can hit them all with your pump. When hunting a semi auto can be faster at times than a pump, but barely. I shoot exhibition so I know I can hit them but when I started I couldn't so you probably cant either I don't mean to offend you.

Yeah 3 clays is harder for sure and I see where your coming from. I enjoy my SuperNova better than my brother's 887 too. But I was shooting doubles last weekend no problem but than again for us avid shooters who have had the opportunity to get out there a lot since we were kids we tend to not miss that often. You have made some good points but I still think he should consider all options and where he loved his Remington I was just telling him about a new one that I thought was pretty cool.

"None will. That's is exactly why the more experienced folk on this Forum will likely have more than one shotgun. Salesmen and Corporate hype will try and tell you that the gun you buy will do everything from waterfowl to light clay shoots .... Yeah , it will do it, but it will NOT do it all equally well over time. And experience = time spent with shotguns."

The M2 will do it all, as will the other shotguns mentioned in you post. Some do it better than others. Any shotgun will break clays but O/U tend to better. Any shotgun will kill a person that breaks into your house but hi capacity short barreled shotguns do it better. Any shotgun will kill a turkey but a short barrel camo 3.5" is better suited for the job. Any shotgun will do it all but some do it better than others.

"Benelli M2 is good choice, but hard to find one new for $1K. More like $1.3K+ . Seems like most folk who own them love it and it has a super-faithful following of Field gunners. The inertial action does have a unique feel and some gas gunners take a bit of getting used to it."

A black one used in good condition will be right on the $1000 mark. I didn't have to get used to my M2 and I own a gas auto. But their is a different noise I cant quite put my finger on it.

"it will be hard to convince your hunting buddies that a 2-3/4" round was not the reason for a missed duck."

I think it's hard to convince my hunting buddies that it was the gun or the shells that is the reason for missing.

"I use a 3-1/2" for turkey, but a 3" and better hunting practice (patience) is A-OK for most hunters, terrain can be the main reason for a 3-1/2" load.

If you don't need heavy loads for most of your use, a 2-3/4" gun will shoot easier on the clays range and will always be in the "rules"."

I switched from a 3" 2 oz to a 3.5" 2 1/4 oz and have only noticed a very small difference. I still prefer to have the most I can for turkey. A 3" and a good choke will be a deadly combination and plenty. A 2 3/4 usually will not cycle better, you can lengthen the chamber a 1/4" and it will cycle 3" to. If I am correct a 3" chamber and 2 3/4" travel the same distance. He will use it for hunting anyways so it would be good to have 3" IMO.

"On gun cleaning. Well only whimps whine about cleaning their shotgun. :p Cleaning is a ritual of inspection and care for your gun. You will get used to any shotgun and how to easily clean it; if it is yours."

I clean my guns every 1000 rounds or every month. This is probably over kill but i have actually come to enjoy cleaning :confused: I don't know why I guess it is the feeling of a job well done. I would rather have a gun that cycles longer without cleaning even though I clean it plenty regularly, wouldn't you?

Yeah 3 clays is harder for sure and I see where your coming from. I enjoy my SuperNova better than my brother's 887 too. But I was shooting doubles last weekend no problem but than again for us avid shooters who have had the opportunity to get out there a lot since we were kids we tend to not miss that often. You have made some good points but I still think he should consider all options and where he loved his Remington I was just telling him about a new one that I thought was pretty cool.

Ok he does need to consider every option and that is a good pump option. That is a good all weather pump. I just think he might regret getting a pump, but he does need to consider the good and bad. He probably does have experience with pumps but I started out with pumps and I enjoy shooting semi auto's more.

Wow, It's a point counter point (without much of a counter....;))

Some do it better than others
Yeah , that's what I was saying, duh! And I still say no one gun does it all equally. Not even the M2, and I believe the OP was talking "new" guns. On the inertial "difference" , well besides things like the Benelli bump , some shooters do feel an action 'clunk' that is more pronounced in inertial style guns. It doesn't bother me, but I have shot with guys on sporting clays double shots that initially found it quite distracting.

Any shotgun will break clays but O/U tend to better.
Not on singles trap. Single barrel dedicated trap guns seem to dominate the winners circle.

Any shotgun will kill a person that breaks into your house but hi capacity short barreled shotguns do it better
Does anyone on this Forum speak from first hand experience that this is a proven fact? Few people have had such practical knowledge. It is quite disturbing to the normal person; but common B.S. cherry talk among video gamers and mall ninjas.

I think it's hard to convince my hunting buddies that it was the gun or the shells that is the reason for missing.
The current scuttlebut chatter among the waterfowl hunters where I live, here on the Mississippi flyway, is about the waterfowl getting too used to being shot at by the time they get here: and used to being drawn-in by the numerous robo-ducks and robo-calls. The current mystical efforts to take more birds are evolving at longer range shots, cause the birds don't seem to work in as close to the blinds as they used to. Thus deeper penetrating hits on the thicker feathered "wise birds" equals more kills. 2-3/4" ammo won't usually do that. But that's just the current hunting chatter.

I would rather have a gun that cycles longer without cleaning even though I clean it plenty regularly, wouldn't you?
Sure, maybe, but shooting a dirty gun isn't really my style. As the military taught me, I clean all my guns before I put them away. I learn a lot about the gun each time I clean it. Each time I clean I look for wear patterns, I check the quality of the ammo by fouling and hull plastic shreds, all kinds of stuff.

I don't buy a shotgun cause some salesman tells me I don't need to clean it as much. Filthy gun is a filthy gun.

I'm sure people don't really need to put on clean underwear everyday. I do, and find it preferable to wearing skid marks.:cool:

Edited by Mr Slugo
added sweetness

Yeah , that's what I was saying, duh! And I still say no one gun does it all equally. Not even the M2, and I believe the OP was talking "new" guns. On the inertial "difference" , well besides things like the Benelli bump , some shooters do feel an action 'clunk' that is more pronounced in inertial style guns. It doesn't bother me, but I have shot with guys on sporting clays double shots that initially found it quite distracting.
you said no gun does it all, not every gun does it all and some do it better, duuuuuhhhhhhh

Not on singles trap. Single barrel dedicated trap guns seem to dominate the winners circle.
OK I should have said break actions.

Does anyone on this Forum speak from first hand experience that this is a proven fact? Few people have had such practical knowledge. It is quite disturbing to the normal person; but common B.S. cherry talk among video gamers and mall ninjas.
A short barrel will go through tight qaurters better, and high capacity means you get more shots between reloads which would seem to take fore ever in that situation

The current scuttlebut chatter among the waterfowl hunters where I live, here on the Mississippi flyway, is about the waterfowl getting too used to being shot at by the time they get here: and used to being drawn-in by the numerous robo-ducks and robo-calls. The current mystical efforts to take more birds are evolving at longer range shots, cause the birds don't seem to work in as close to the blinds as they used to. Thus deeper penetrating hits on the thicker feathered "wise birds" equals more kills. 2-3/4" ammo won't usually do that. But that's just the current hunting chatter.
What I meant was they will say, "Quit making up excuses that was your fault" and joking and teasing with me.

Sure, maybe, but shooting a dirty gun isn't really my style. As the military taught me, I clean all my guns before I put them away. I learn a lot about the gun each time I clean it. Each time I clean I look for wear patterns, I check the quality of the ammo by fouling and hull plastic shreds, all kinds of stuff.

I don't buy a shotgun cause some salesman tells me I don't need to clean it as much. Filthy gun is a filthy gun.

I'm sure people don't really need to put on clean underwear everyday. I do, and find it preferable to wearing skid marks.:cool:

That's why I wear brown under wear :D