Sporting Clays Question

CajunGuy

Ok guys...first off...thanks for all the help on previous threads concerning my vinatge Remmy 1100. The gun means alot to me (as my Dad handed it down) and I wanted to find it's purpose in my life. (I know this is the Benelli forum so it's gotta be hard to talk about it...lol) I've decided to go with a Supernova to do all the "dirty work" out in the field. I want a good solid, reliable, and relatively in-expensive hunting gun. I'm looking forward to getting it, and have heard nothing but great things about it.

As for the 1100...it's going to be used strictly for skeet/trap. Since I previously found alot of help in this forum earlier....I figured maybe one more question on the Remington MIGHT not hurt. Since it is an older 1100 it has a fixed full choke. I was considering taking it to a gunsmith to open up the choke for shooting clays. If this is in fact a good idea....what would be the best OVERALL diameter (choke type) for skeet/trap? I'm not interested in threading it as this will be a sporting clays gun only. Or....should I just leave the fixed full choke? Again....thanks for all the help.

Ok guys...first off...thanks for all the help on previous threads concerning my vinatge Remmy 1100. The gun means alot to me (as my Dad handed it down) and I wanted to find it's purpose in my life. (I know this is the Benelli forum so it's gotta be hard to talk about it...lol) I've decided to go with a Supernova to do all the "dirty work" out in the field. I want a good solid, reliable, and relatively in-expensive hunting gun. I'm looking forward to getting it, and have heard nothing but great things about it.

As for the 1100...it's going to be used strictly for skeet/trap. Since I previously found alot of help in this forum earlier....I figured maybe one more question on the Remington MIGHT not hurt. Since it is an older 1100 it has a fixed full choke. I was considering taking it to a gunsmith to open up the choke for shooting clays. If this is in fact a good idea....what would be the best OVERALL diameter (choke type) for skeet/trap? I'm not interested in threading it as this will be a sporting clays gun only. Or....should I just leave the fixed full choke? Again....thanks for all the help.

Are you going to use it for handi cap? If so do you know how far back? I recommend an Improved Modified (IM) constriction, It will pretty much do it all. I also recommend you get it threaded because I would like to be able to switch from that IM choke to a skeet choke for skeet.

The Super Nova is a very smart choice. It is a very smooth pumper. When you push the release and hold it up it gravity pumps it half way. I like the grip texture's feel, but it gets slippery when sweaty. It is kind of bulky feeling, but not to bad, easy to get used to. The shell stop is pretty handy to. Let us know how you like it.

Let me just say you CAN do trap/skeet with a full, its possible but its harder to get started. Full would be ok for trap, but I would not recommend it for skeet. A Modified choke would work for both.

HOWEVER, I would say if you are taking it to a gunsmith to get the choke changed you might as well go the full way and have it threaded for removables. I know that you said you are not interested, but if you take it to a gunsmith it might be about the same price to change the choke vs cut it for removables. With removeables you can put in any choke you desire/need today. If you just cut out the full and move it down to a modified or something else and find out that is too open for you then it is over, you cannot add metal.

I know a girl that is excellent at trap (consistently 97+/100) and she could not hit more than 5 targets in skeet with her full choke in. I convinced her to try with a skeet choke and on her first go with the more open choke she got a 21. The point is I just think your gun will be more versatile and you will have more fun if you can match your choke to the type of shooting each game requires.

Let me just say you CAN do trap/skeet with a full, its possible but its harder to get started. Full would be ok for trap, but I would not recommend it for skeet. A Modified choke would work for both.

HOWEVER, I would say if you are taking it to a gunsmith to get the choke changed you might as well go the full way and have it threaded for removables. I know that you said you are not interested, but if you take it to a gunsmith it might be about the same price to change the choke vs cut it for removables. With removeables you can put in any choke you desire/need today. If you just cut out the full and move it down to a modified or something else and find out that is too open for you then it is over, you cannot add metal.

I know a girl that is excellent at trap (consistently 97+/100) and she could not hit more than 5 targets in skeet with her full choke in. I convinced her to try with a skeet choke and on her first go with the more open choke she got a 21. The point is I just think your gun will be more versatile and you will have more fun if you can match your choke to the type of shooting each game requires.

Good advice this is the point I was trying to get across.

You just type too fast for me trapshooter, when I started I was the only one replying and then I saw that you got two in before I could get one :p

I am a fast typer do you type asdf jkl; style or just two fingers at a time? It also helps to subscribe to threads and have instant email notifications and spell checker so I don't have to read over my posts for gramatical errors.

My recommendations for what its worth.

The 1100 is a very versatile gun, and can be used for all the games. Just changing the barrel and stock makes this gun suitable for multiple purposes.

Barrels are fairly easy to find on sites like gunbroker.com.

For trap, I'd recommend a 30" trap barrel. And, if you want, you can put a trap stock on it with a monte-carlo comb, to raise the point of impact a little.

For skeet and sporting clays, see if you can find a 26" field barrel with choke tubes. Use a skeet tube for skeet, and depending on how the sporting clays course is set up, you'd have to decide what choke to use for that. IM and modified are usually good choices. And you can leave the original field stock on for these games.

A 28" barrel would work OK too.

Keep the original barrel original. At least, I would. BTW, a fixed full choke works fiune for trap.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning towards getting the barrel threaded for the Rem Choke System. It does make sense to spend that little extra to get a more versatile gun. I'm trying not to spend too much money on it though...a few hundred at the most. The barrel is a 30" vent rib with a single steel bead sight. Would it help to add a second bead on the middle? I've noticed that alot of sporting clay guns have two sight beads..? This would help to line up your shot I assume. If not the sight beads....what type of sight would be the best?

The barrel is a 30" vent rib with a single steel bead sight. Would it help to add a second bead on the middle? I've noticed that alot of sporting clay guns have two sight beads..? This would help to line up your shot I assume. If not the sight beads....what type of sight would be the best?

I think its easy to overthink things a bit, I don't see that you would have any problems with the setup you have now after you get your barrel threaded. So I would just wait, and put a few cases through your gun and see what you feel like you might want.

The second bead supposedly helps to get your sight picture perfect but I have always found a mid bead distracting personally, but again it is up to personal preference.

As far as sights, beads are the best for wing/clay shooting so I wouldn't change to iron sights or anything goofy like that. But I did replace my factory bead on my M2 with a hiviz sight, I just prefer a little brighter bead in the front. Check out some of the options:

http://www.hivizsights.com/

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/firearm/wing_clay/category.asp

Again I would say go shooting for a bit and see what you think you need after distributing some lead.

+1 on what timb99 said.

Keep your Rem 1100 stock to keep its value. Do not alter the barrel.

Full choke 1100 for a beginner on trap is not that hard to get used to. It will make you a better shooter. Many old-time trap shooters started out with the Rem. 1100 fixed Full. Shell catcher might be a good bargain investment. Get a maintenance kit to keep it tuned. Only use good name brand ammunition (I recommend Win AA 129 Lite #9 to start trap shooting: or Remington STS121 to STS12L #9: cheaper promo ammo may give you a dirty experience that is best to avoid when trying a new sport)

For Sporting Clays: try fun-shooting your Supernova pump shotgun to get used to it for hunting season. You will have the gun, why not try it?

IM, M, to IC chokes should be OK to experiment SportClays in that gun. Sporting Clays will be more interesting with your new pump:D. Likely your score will not be too high as you will naturally be a bit awkward "pumping", but your field hunting skills will get better as you know that pump gun better.

Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc sell new factory replacement 1100 barrels for about $230 (cheaper on sale and gunbroker ). I would wait until you have a real desire to shoot the game of Skeet before spending xtra money on a new 1100 barrel.

Don't throw money at the gun unless your sure of what you want from it. Your new pump and your fixed choke 1100 will get you started NOW at Trap & Sporting Clays. Remington 1100's are so popular that there is tons of stuff out there to buy for them.

For more in depth info on Rem. 1100, I recommend this site for the real experts, lots of real "experience" there! (go down page to Remington Lovers section, good tips on how to make your 1100 last forever)

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

What type of shooting sports will you be doing? Name the one you will do the most first then the second most, and so on. If you already have a 28" barrel that will be fine and you can get it threaded. But you might save money buying an already threaded barrel with chokes. A longer barrel swings slower and smoother and makes it better for trap. I would not recommend winchester shotgun ammo. I have seen an older 1100 have some serious problems with winchester ammo. I recommend federal and remington, as they seemed to function flawlessly in that 1100. My friend was shooting singles and all he had was winchester ammo. his 1100 jammed shut and nobody could open it. It took pretty much the whole sqaud to yank the barrel of with the shell in there.

If you're sure you want to get the original barrel threaded, absolutely, positively, have it done by someone who does this kind of work on a day to day basis.

I recommend either Carlson's in Atwood, KS, Briley's in Houston. These guys can also add a mid-rib bead for you, at very little cost. Make sure you tell them you want it threaded for Remington chokes.

I would not trust a barrel to anyone else.

The ONLY thing a mid-rib bead does for you is to allow you to make sure your gun mount is good and your barrel is lined up with your eye. Once you call for the target, you'd better have both eyes on the target or the result will be a miss.

Some folks like hi-viz sights, some like a white Bradley bead (I'm one of them), and some folks black out their bead with a magic marker, or just take them off completely. Its a personal preference thing.

I would not recommend Winchester shotgun ammo. I have seen an older 1100 have some serious problems with Winchester ammo.
Sorry,♠ that's your opinion based on your limited experience with your friends gun.

My observations are somewhat different with name brand ammos , especially Winchester ammo.

I have seen thousands of Winchester rounds thru 1100's as the Rem 1100 were once a favored choice for local league shooters (before sub-gage tubing, and preference for break-opens).

I also have shot at a local Gun Club and see these guys (my neighbors) shoot Winchester ammo quite well http://www.lindenwood.edu/athletics/trap_skeet/team_photo.asp .

In the summer months I have shot here http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/ and have heard very little complaints on Winchester AA ammo.

I stick to what I said earlier. Good Winchester AA target , or equally good Remington STS is quality ammo, so is Federal.

BUT , there is the promo stuff (as I also mentioned). The promo's are made for price point (Walmart) and are not the higher quality ammo that devoted trap/skeet/sporting guns often needs. Winchester promos' are Super-Target, Remington are Gun Club, Federal is Estate.

Promos (in general) are relatively dirtier powder, brass not as spec'ed, hulls are not well shaped or materialed: just not toleranced as well as the finer ammos. Will they work, yeah in most guns they work fine, in some guns excellent . But some guns don't like hull shreds at all, nor do some care for hard primers, or dirty powder. Other guns eat promos like a fat kid with a bag of cheeseburgers.

Edited by Mr Slugo
spelling

Sorry,♠ that's your opinion based on your limited experience with your friends gun.

My observations are somewhat different with name brand ammos , especially Winchester ammo.

I am a member of the Winchester Shooting Club at the Winchester factory. I get my choice of shooting any available gun from the Browning/Winchester vault. Choice of Win. ammo. I have seen thousands of Winchester rounds thru 1100's as the Rem 1100 were once a favored choice for local league shooters (before subgage tubing, and preference for break-opens).

I also shoot regularly at Gateway Gun Club and see these guys (my neighbors) shoot Winchester ammo quite well http://www.lindenwood.edu/athletics/trap_skeet/team_photo.asp .

In the summer months I shoot here http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/ and have heard very little complaints on Winchester AA ammo.

I stick to what I said earlier. Good Winchester AA target , or equally good Remington STS is quality ammo, so is Federal.

BUT , there is the promo stuff (as I also mentioned). The promo's are made for price point (Walmart) and are not the higher quality ammo that devoted trap/skeet/sporting guns often needs. Winchester promos' are Super-Target, Remington are Gun Club, Federal is Estate.

Promos (in general) are relatively dirtier powder, brass not as spec'ed, hulls are not well shaped or materialed. Will they work, yeah in most guns they work fine, in some guns excellent . But some guns don't like hull shreds at all, nor do some care for hard primers, or dirty powder. Other guns eat promos like a fat kid with a bag of cheeseburgers.

I was indeed talking about the promo ammo, AA's seem to be very good high quality ammo.

I also shoot regularly at Gateway Gun Club and see these guys (my neighbors) shoot Winchester ammo quite well http://www.lindenwood.edu/athletics/trap_skeet/team_photo.asp

Funny you should mention Lindenwood, I actually went to the ACUI nationals this year and the winchester ammo performed flawlessly as a matter of fact. But anyway the funny story about that is that I was shooting with a Lindenwood shooter in the International Trap competition and he said that he has thrown is gun in the trash 3 times before and someone brought it back to him everytime. When he said that he was close to doing it again I told him that if he threw it away I was going to pick it up and he wasn't going to get it back. Needless to say there were no guns in trash barrels. :p

Timb99....Mr Slugo.... You guys are right. I think it would be better to keep the original barrel the way it is. After looking at some general gunsmith prices, it would almost be cheaper just to buy a new barrel from Remington that was already threaded for the Rem Chokes (plus they come with 3 chokes).

With that being said....what am I looking for in a good skeet/trap barrel? High vent rib...twin beads.....etc? Which Remington barrel would be ideal?

Also...on the Supernova. Which finish holds up the best? I really like the Advantage camo finish for hunting, but I'm concerned with how well it will hold up. I've almost convinced myself to stick with the synthetic/black for fear that the camo won't hold up to solvents...oil...etc. I've heard horror stories about bug spray too. Deet vs Camo.....Deet winner by TKO....lol.

Edited by CajunGuy

Timb99....Mr Slugo.... You guys are right. I think it would be better to keep the original barrel the way it is. After looking at some general gunsmith prices, it would almost be cheaper just to buy a new barrel from Remington that was already threaded for the Rem Chokes (plus they come with 3 chokes).

With that being said....what am I looking for in a good skeet/trap barrel? High vent rib...twin beads.....etc? Which Remington barrel would be ideal?

Also...on the Supernova. Which finish holds up the best? I really like the Advantage camo finish for hunting, but I'm concerned with how well it will hold up. I've almost convinced myself to stick with the synthetic/black for fear that the camo won't hold up to solvents...oil...etc. I've heard horror stories about bug spray too. Deet vs Camo.....Deet winner by TKO....lol.

For trap most prefer a high rib and a long (28"+) barrel, and I like the double bead for trap, I just line the beads up to make sure I am strait and forget about them when I am shooting. I say you need a 30" barrel, but follow Tim's advice, he is more knowledgeable than me on this topic.

My recommendations for what its worth.

The 1100 is a very versatile gun, and can be used for all the games. Just changing the barrel and stock makes this gun suitable for multiple purposes.

Barrels are fairly easy to find on sites like gunbroker.com.

For trap, I'd recommend a 30" trap barrel. And, if you want, you can put a trap stock on it with a monte-carlo comb, to raise the point of impact a little.

For skeet and sporting clays, see if you can find a 26" field barrel with choke tubes. Use a skeet tube for skeet, and depending on how the sporting clays course is set up, you'd have to decide what choke to use for that. IM and modified are usually good choices. And you can leave the original field stock on for these games.

A 28" barrel would work OK too.

Keep the original barrel original. At least, I would. BTW, a fixed full choke works fiune for trap.

Get a new, threaded barrel for clays, and keep the old barrel to maintain the original configuration. You can get a replacement barrel at Wal-Mart or BassPro.

I have one of each ( one camo, 2 black). The black seems to hold up better but you don't have to worry about rust as much with the camo.

"With that being said....what am I looking for in a good skeet/trap barrel? High vent rib...twin beads.....etc? Which Remington barrel would be ideal?"

There's the rub. You're talking about two different games. There are a couple of ways to approach this.

Get two different barrels, one for trap, one for skeet.

or

Get one barrel and try to meet in the middle.

Unless you're really into one or the other, (that is, you just shoot skeet and trap for fun, and not in competition) you can probably do fine with one barrel and some choke tubes.

Trap is a game where the target is always going away from you, and you should be shooting it when the target is rising. There's also not much swinging the gun to do (but some.) As such a long barrel and a stock/comb set up to shoot a little high is to your benefit. Many trap shooters use a 30" barrel on an 1100. A "trap" barrel is step-ribbed (much higher rib in back than front) and has a little lug on the ejection area so the spent hull doesn't fly over and hit the guy next to you.

Skeet is a game where the target is fairly flat, and may be coming towards you, going away from you, or crossing at right angles to you.. There's a lot of swinging the gun. As shorter barrel and a stock/comb set up to shoot a fairly flat is to your benefit. Skeet shooters often use a 26" barrel on an 1100.

Now, the "in between one barrel for all." I would get a 28" barrel. You can get a mid-rib bead if you want. Choke tubes. This will shoot fairly flat unless you do something to raise the comb on your stock. But unless you plan to shoot trap competition, this will be OK. You'll have to point higher and "cover the bird" as its going away from you. And since it'll shoot flat, it'll be fine for skeet too. Get a modified or improved modified choke tube to shoot trap. Get a skeet choke tube to shoot skeet.

BTW, that full choke 30" barrel you already have would be OK for trap.

Good luck!

Have fun!

Be safe!

Tim

Edited by timb99

Tim,

Thanks a bunch for the help. I guess I should've clarified on the skeet/trap shooting. I only do it for fun....and practice for out in the field. We usually head over to a friends house and throw some clays over a bean field behind his house. No real layout to how it throws....it's just random...so I guess it's more like skeet than huh?Nothing fancy...but it's good fun. I've hit ok with the full choke 30" barrel...just looking for something that works better.

So with that being said...a shorter...say 26" barrel with a Rem Choke system would be best for my situation out at the field? While the original 30" full choke barrel would be good for trap?

As for the Supernova....what barrel length would be good for dove, duck, and other bird hunting? I was going to go with a 28" for a longer line of sight...and just in case the birds are out there.

Edited by CajunGuy

Tim,

Thanks a bunch for the help. I guess I should've clarified on the skeet/trap shooting. I only do it for fun....and practice for out in the field. We usually head over to a friends house and throw some clays over a bean field behind his house. No real layout to how it throws....it's just random...so I guess it's more like skeet than huh?Nothing fancy...but it's good fun. I've hit ok with the full choke 30" barrel...just looking for something that works better.

So with that being said...a shorter...say 26" barrel with a Rem Choke system would be best for my situation out at the field? While the original 30" full choke barrel would be good for trap?

As for the Supernova....what barrel length would be good for dove, duck, and other bird hunting? I was going to go with a 28" for a longer line of sight...and just in case the birds are out there.

OK, if your just shooting clays in your back yard then scratch everything and start over.

I wouldn't put any money into the gun for that. The cool thing about shooting a full choke is if you can hit it, then you can hit it with a lighter choke.

I would but a supernova like you are already planning. The nova comes with 3 chokes already. IC ( improved cylinder), Mod (Modified) and Full. I would use the nova for everything and bring out the 1100 for fun and keep if shiny.

Tim,

A 28" would be good for birds, but like novaking said, if you are just throwing clays around just for practice for hunting use your supernova because it is the gun you will use for hunting. keep the 1100 clean and original and pass it on to another generation