Ok, so what's the trick to inserting the axle bush on the M4?

Sukhoi_fan

I acquired my M4 from a private party who had not fired it, however he'd had his dealer install the Tacstar sidesaddle style shell holder. And that installation required the removal of the original axle bush, retaining spring, washer and retaining clip. I had to order the replacements - $42.00 (ouch!), as those four parts didn't come with the gun. I installed them in sequence as called for in the manual, i.e. retaining ring first into the hole on the left side of the receiver, then the flat washer, then the retaining clip using split ring pliers. So far so good, except I noticed that the G-shaped retaing spring was nearly in the center of the hole. So I managed to bend it some to the side in order to allow for the axle bush to pass through. The trouble now is that the axle bush will still not insert from the left side of the receiver even though the trigger group is aligned with the receiver well enough for it to pass through from the right side up to the retaining spring.

So do I need to bend the retaining spring further out of the way? The very slight bevel on the end of the axle bush doesn't seem to help it along.

The manual makes it look so easy. :rolleyes:

I've found even when aligned PERFECTLY, if you are holding the reciever vertical, it won't slide in. Tilt it down horizontally, and it SLIPS in with minimal effort. I don't have any expanation for this. It just is finicky. I'm sure over time this will loosen up, but it is indeed somewhat baffling as to why it won't go in even when aligned perfectly.

I've found even when aligned PERFECTLY, if you are holding the reciever vertical, it won't slide in. Tilt it down horizontally, and it SLIPS in with minimal effort. I don't have any expanation for this. It just is finicky. I'm sure over time this will loosen up, but it is indeed somewhat baffling as to why it won't go in even when aligned perfectly.

Thanks for the input, but as far as I can tell this was strictly a matter of the retaining spring blocking the axle bush aka the trigger group locking pin. I kept bending the spring slightly until it allowed the axle bush/pin to pass through, but I'm still not happy with the tension from the spring. I don't think there's sufficient resistance to keep it in place. For those of you with unmolested pin arrangements, is it very easy to push the axle bush through? Dadgum tiny spring alone cost $5 thru my local Benelli dealer. You'd think they would get the spring right when they made it.

Got a machinist friend who had a M4 until someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I'm going to see him tomorrow and have him take a look at it to see if that tension can be increased.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan