Migratory Birds

tyson129

Whos getting the fever? October 1st for us here in Maine and I'm counting down the days. Cant wait to use our German Shorthair Pointer on some woodcock and partridge....were already running her at an outfitter to keep her in practice with quail and pheasant. Some of you other states must start earlier right?

Edited by tyson129

31 July 09

In Wisconsin, Doves open 1 Sept., Grouse 12 Sept. and Woodcock on 19 Sept. Our duck season usually opens the first weekend of Oct. and pheasants around the middle of Oct.

DumbDuck

Lucky. I'm jealous. Happy Hunting let me know how it goes, love to hear about their patterns this year. I'm hoping that there are no early cold fronts from Canada this year, because I would hate to miss out on Woodcock hunting, I love how they wont budge when our dog points until we flush them.

Hi,

This is Jimmi.

Our duck season usually opens the first weekend of Oct. and pheasants around the middle of Oct.

Squirrel opens tomorrow. (yeah I know its not a bird.) Dove opens sept 1st. Yep, I'm getting the itch.

for more game playing tips Click Here

-------------------

Jimmy.

Ran our German Shorthair Pointer yesterday on quail at an upland game ranch to get her ready for the upcoming season. We will be doing it again on Thursday. She is dead on...I freaking love our dog. Anyone else getting their dogs warmed up for hunting?

I'm trying. My dog is only 2 months old. She points and snifs.We will see.

I shoot mostly modified choke from carlsons. www.choketube.com The birds are fast and about 30-35 yards out. I shoot 1 oz max dram 8's. and it gets the job done.

Does max dram mean the most powder that will fit in the shell with the shot? Or is it a number, because I normally see it on turkey shell boxes which I know have more powder than 1 oz. loads.

Does max dram mean the most powder that will fit in the shell with the shot? Or is it a number, because I normally see it on turkey shell boxes which I know have more powder than 1 oz. loads.

I believe it max. PSI. Not sure. I don't remember offhand but I think the shells I shoot come out of the barrel at like 1500 feet per second. I could be wrong.