M4 Handguard

Talyn

In order to help with the 922r parts count (in light of the most recent ATF letter) I think it would be relatively easy to make a modified factory handguard. Considering the handguard is polymer with some metal parts a add some flats for pressure pad placement on each side, a different texture and "made in USA" molded in. Keep the shape as close to the factory as possible with those new features.

My .02

I was looking at the KZ Benelli M4 Quad Rail forend, its U.S. made and costs a bit less than the Surefire forend. Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.botachtactical.com/kzm4.html

I agree though, it would be nice to have a U.S. made forend that looked similiar to the stock forend. The only one I have seen that looks remotely close to the stock forend is one made by FAB arms, but those are made in Israel I presume.

The molding alone would cost 10 - 20k easily. Injection molding is very costly. I would not recommend the Surefire rail. I had one and sent it back. It was very uncomfortable to hold. With or without rail covers.

Hmm, not good news. I have one coming in about three weeks. May have to reassess. Any others using Surefire or rejected it?

Bighat,

I tried their ladder rail covers and magpul xtm. The best was xtm's along the bottom and the ladder rails on the sides. It still felt like holding onto a pringles can. It is acceptable, but you'll find the factory hanguards to be much more comfortable.

It was terrible to mount a light to. It put the light right where your hand should be. If you are using a FVG, it would be OK. However, that doesn't seem too comfortable on the M4. I had considered keeping the M80 and using it in tandum with the SideArmor rail. Route the pressure switch to the M80 and run the light on the SideArmor side rail. Heavy option.

Anyone honest will tell you the stock guards are much more comfortable.

The Isreali made one fit horribly. Someone had photo's a month ago or so. The channels for the pistons didn't line up right. They had to dremel it to fit.

Edited by StrangerDanger
Wrong model

Bighat,

I tried their ladder rail covers and magpul xtm. The best was xtm's along the bottom and the ladder rails on the sides. It still felt like holding onto a pringles can. It is acceptable, but you'll find the factory hanguards to be much more comfortable.

It was terrible to mount a light to. It put the light right where your hand should be. If you are using a FVG, it would be OK. However, that doesn't seem too comfortable on the M4. I had considered keeping the M80 and using it in tandum with the SideArmor rail. Route the pressure switch to the M80 and run the light on the SideArmor side rail. Heavy option.

Anyone honest will tell you the stock guards are much more comfortable.

The KZ fit horribly. Someone had photo's a month ago or so. The channels for the pistons didn't line up right. They had to dremel it to fit.

Thanks. Actually, I have no intention of mounting a light, just trying to "get legal." No surprise that what a engineering giant like FN opted to use was probably pretty good. Oh wait, look at the rail. :)

I've been looking online and can't find a whole lot of user feedback/reviews of the KZ rail (made in U.S.) The closest thing is this thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18662&highlight=KZ+rail

Gottahaveit seems to like it and said the fit was good and tight and he reported having 600 rounds through it. Maybe it is a good option since there seem to be few for US made forearms. Anyone with input on them?

I ordered a Surefire yesterday to play around with as a grip only while keeping my Sidearmor rail. I have big hands so maybe it'll be ok fit wise but like StrangerDanger said a "heavy option"

If I don't like it maybe I'll make someone a deal on it.

In order to help with the 922r parts count (in light of the most recent ATF letter) I think it would be relatively easy to make a modified factory handguard. Considering the handguard is polymer with some metal parts a add some flats for pressure pad placement on each side, a different texture and "made in USA" molded in. Keep the shape as close to the factory as possible with those new features.

My .02

That ATF letter doesn't apply to you.

That ATF letter doesn't apply to you.

I realize each M4 owner needs an individual letter, but since there seems to be a trend towards 13 vs 11 parts to deal with with ATF then having more US part options would be good.

Since some think the Factory polymer handguard feels the best having a US made equivalent would be nice for those that don't want a full blown railed system in it's place.

My .02

Edited by Talyn

So, do all of you with an imported AK carry the parts count letter around with you?

If you want to circumvent the 922, look into registering it as a Class 3 short barreled shotgun. It'll cost 200$, but that is cheaper than the Surefire handguard. You don't have to get a shorty barrel if you don't want to.

So, do all of you with an imported AK carry the parts count letter around with you?

If you want to circumvent the 922, look into registering it as a Class 3 short barreled shotgun. It'll cost 200$, but that is cheaper than the Surefire handguard. You don't have to get a shorty barrel if you don't want to.

IIRC, this does NOT circumvent 922R. It was hashed out on ar15.com one time.

This whole thread reminds me of a joke that I heard a Juggler use. He was going to juggle two balls and a hatchet. He claimed the hatchet was the original one used by George Washington to chop down the Cherry tree; of course he had to replace the handle...and the head...but it occupies the same space!

We are all a bunch of elitist snobs!!!

Screw the Italians ... BUY AMERICAN! That's the true intention of 922R and may God bless everyone at ATF for showing us the light! It's a cornerstone of the Obama stimulus plan. Look at the astronomical increase in gun sales since he took office. That's what I call results!

Please feel free to mail me all of your unwanted foreign made stuff, I promise to dispose of it for you so you don't need to dirty your hands any longer. REPENT!

Edited by OhioM4

The 922r parts count may not be an issue atm for some, but it only takes one overzealous ***hat to ruin your whole day. And considering which way the wind is blowing with Baracula, it might be a good idea to go ahead and cya.

BTDT

I'd like to hear some reviews of the KZ handguard.

Also, why wouldn't the magazine cap count as a 'floorplate'? Perhaps that question needs to be asked of the BATF.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan