Best Turkey Loads for my benelli

ishootkittens

HI, i have used winchester 3 and 1/2 inch turkey mags in my benelli supernova and have had okay results, but I was hoping since this is a benelli forum, you all may be able to tell me the best ammo to use to take down the big gobbler next year. Ive heard good things about federal.. and remington?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, i have used winchester 3 and 1/2 inch turkey mags in my benelli supernova and have had okay results, but I was hoping since this is a benelli forum, you all may be able to tell me the best ammo to use to take down the big gobbler next year. Ive heard good things about federal.. and remington?

federal mag shok with flitecontrol, and just about any extended, non ported, .665 constriction choke gives me the best results.

Just look in these posts here: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-24.html

Some thread names seem off topic, but there is a great deal of info to be found. One may seem to be steered towards choke tubes, or Semi-Auto Benelli's, but someone may have chimed in with their experience with their Nova or S/N in the post..

What barrel length?

I've had nothing but problems trying to pattern short barreled guns, especially Novas.

If you want turkeys sent to another level of dead, and you aren't afraid to pay the price, then there is only one answer in my opinion..Nitro turkey loads

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.htm

I don't think this stuff would out perform 3.5" federal w/ flitecontrol and 2 1/4 oz of lead by much if any. I just wish the high density loads by federal were available with more than 1&7/8 oz of shot :( Thats high density and in a 3.5" shell it should be more like 2.5 oz of lead :confused: plus it is way to expensive for 5 shells.

Trapshooter1:

I have never seen a Fed F/C shell of any type, put a pattern on a target that looked like it was shot from five yds away when in reality it was shot from 50. There is a reason people are payng $7-$10 per shell for Nitro's.

I am just curious as to how you draw the conclusion that the Federal loads will be comparable to them? Have you shot the Nitro 3.5 in Triplex load , or witnessed anyone shoot a considerable amount of them?

No I haven't seen the Nitros pattern, I didn't realize a shotgun shell could perform like that I need to pick up a box. Federal fc patterns better than some remingon turkey loads and winchester I tried out so I figured those couldn't be much better. How much kill range do the Nitros have?

These loads shoot farther than I personally like to shoot at turkeys. I know with the right choke and and person behind the gun 75yds is entirely in play. 20 yds with these things usually look like someone hit a softball through the target

I personally like the whole aspect of calling a gobbler in as close as possible, and getting the intimate experience of outsmarting a bird in his own house. I myself usually use Fed F/C loads as well as Hevi-13 for my hunting, and keep the range 50 yds and under, with the 45-50yds being for extreme circumstances only. I recommend Nitros to people who want to str8 up wreck a gobblers day, at whatever price.

Here is a link to an archive thread where some people were using them. http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-13470.html

I been using the NItros with the Rhino choke for 5 years now and it slaps messes up turkeys. They are not cheap but when you spend a grand on a turkey gun what is a few more bucks for the best shells made. It seems that quite a few people now are going with the Straight 7s in a Nitro load but I will continue to stick with the Tri load cause at 40 yards I am getting 325+ in a 10 in circle. The say the Pure Gold choke works awesome but cannot confirm that as all I use is the Rhino choke for turkey huntin.

Flhawghuntr, have you ever had any problems with build-up and crud in your chamber after shooting your Nitro's?

Never now I'm not saying that they are the cleaness shooting loads I have ever shot either. I try to clean my gun after each shot at night when out of state hunting just so I can get the maximum pattern density. But never in the chamber the barrel and choke gets dirty. The choke gets more of the plastic wad residue more then anything and the barrel gets the powder residue.

If you want turkeys sent to another level of dead, and you aren't afraid to pay the price, then there is only one answer in my opinion..Nitro turkey loads

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.htm

This is the ugliest website I have ever seen and its selling the most expensive Turkey ammo ever sold! I wouldn't EVER pay that much to kill a bird! I smashed a tom at 60 yards with a 3" mag shot this spring that cost me $12 for 25 rounds. This ammo suggested is for those who just cant get the job done right. You want some heavier than lead ammo get some Dark Cloud (which in my opinion is overpriced too).

This is the ugliest website I have ever seen and its selling the most expensive Turkey ammo ever sold! I wouldn't EVER pay that much to kill a bird! I smashed a tom at 60 yards with a 3" mag shot this spring that cost me $12 for 25 rounds. This ammo suggested is for those who just cant get the job done right. You want some heavier than lead ammo get some Dark Cloud (which in my opinion is overpriced too).

If this stuff makes a softball sized hole at 20 yards then that sounds like it patterns to tight. What kind of choke and ammo where you using? 60 yards is good range for a 3"

What exactly does "get the job done right" mean?

Also, who makes this Dark Cloud ammo? I'm familiar with Black Cloud, but that is for waterfowl,and not hevier than lead. I'd be interested to try some of this stuff out..

Edited by CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

If this stuff makes a softball sized hole at 20 yards then that sounds like it patterns to tight. What kind of choke and ammo where you using? 60 yards is good range for a 3"

I was using Federal 3" magnum turkey with an improved modified choke. Turkey and buckshot loads tend to have a solid central pattern and hold well out to farther distances plus I had done pattern tests the day before with that ammo. Just to clarify the ammo was $9 for 10 rounds, I checked when I got home last night, it was from the strut-shock line.

What exactly does "get the job done right" mean?

Also, who makes this Dark Cloud ammo? I'm familiar with Black Cloud, but that is for waterfowl, and not heavier than lead. I'd be interested to try some of this stuff out..

Getting the job done right means getting (killing) your game (whatever it may be- in this case its turkeys) when I said dark cloud i meant black cloud which was wrong, i meant to say heavi-shot, which claims to be denser than steel and better than lead...but that's for you to decide.

I was using Federal 3" magnum turkey with an improved modified choke. Turkey and buckshot loads tend to have a solid central pattern and hold well out to farther distances plus I had done pattern tests the day before with that ammo. Just to clarify the ammo was $9 for 10 rounds, I checked when I got home last night, it was from the strut-shock line.

IM choke and 60 yard kill pattens with no more than 2 oz of lead? Do you know the difference b/t IM and M? The difference is .005" almost nothing for a choke. I would be impressed to see that kind of patterning with a full choke. I am not saying you are lying I am just having trouble believing, I am assuming they were FC Federals?