Best Turkey Loads for my benelli

ishootkittens

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah no ****... but even federals website doesnt recommend the use of 7's when turkey hunting. unless of course your using a 10 gauge.. which i dont really have a problem with...but i am still a big fan of the 4 catagory.

My sweet lord, Donnie says vacuum.....

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=778

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=779

ohh well i stopped looking on the chart after the loads got lighter than 2 oz. I wont shoot anything less than 2 oz. Makes me feel more comfortable and I like the recoil it gives off.

i also understand that the density plays a big part, but if both sizes were shot with the same density, (25-30 pellets) inside the target, then id feel better with the larger shot size. That is why im looking for the best pattern. Maybe I will try the 6's after i test shot patterns of the 4's.

Edited by ishootkittens

ohh well i stopped looking on the chart after the loads got lighter than 2 oz. I wont shoot anything less than 2 oz. Makes me feel more comfortable and I like the recoil it gives off.

i also understand that the density plays a big part, but if both sizes were shot with the same density, (25-30 pellets) inside the target, then id feel better with the larger shot size. That is why im looking for the best pattern. Maybe I will try the 6's after i test shot patterns of the 4's.

Post up your patterns when you get a chance. Seasons just around the corner!!

No magnification. This is helpful when a bird is in the "gray area" as far as maximum effective range goes. You still get the feeling that the bird may be too far away, as opposed to it looking real close, and perhaps causing you to shoot farther than your gun wants to. The inner circle makes a pretty effective rangefinder. You can guage body size in relation to the ring that represents a 30in circle at 40yds

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR.html

thats what i was looking at. The name isnt the first that comes to mind when talking about good scopes.. but I think that it fits me. Because the farthest I would ever have to shoot a turkey would be at 40 yards, and with my slugs I would only have to shoot 70-90 yards at the most! I live in Va and hunt deep in the appalachians. but, I also want that 7X magnification because I want to zoom on the deers vitals because where I have a smoothbore, i know that my slugs may be a bit unpredictable to a couple of inches. I want to make sure I get it as close as possible to its ticker!

T9s are making a huge impact in the reloading scene for turkey hunting.

Yes, I've been shooting TSS(Tungsten Super Shot) for going on three years now, friend of mine Hal is the pioneer of developing the TSS loads for turkey hunting, he's been loading it for me the last two seasons, now I'm loading my own. I've shot 9 gobblers and 1 coyote with the TSS loads in the last two years. I've been shooting 3" 2oz loads of a duplex of 9x8's, 1oz each. There's about 620 pellets in this load. TSS is the densest load available @ 18g/cc. This makes it equal to lead pellets 5-6 times it's size in penetration. #9 TSS is equal to #4 lead, #8's are equal to #2 lead. I've shot just about all turkey loads on the market including Nitros, nothing compares to this stuff in pattern density and long range killing power!

RDSC00381.jpg

Yes, I've been shooting TSS(Tungsten Super Shot) for going on three years now, friend of mine Hal is the pioneer of developing the TSS loads for turkey hunting, he's been loading it for me the last two seasons, now I'm loading my own. I've shot 9 gobblers and 1 coyote with the TSS loads in the last two years. I've been shooting 3" 2oz loads of a duplex of 9x8's, 1oz each. There's about 620 pellets in this load. TSS is the densest load available @ 18g/cc. This makes it equal to lead pellets 5-6 times it's size in penetration. #9 TSS is equal to #4 lead, #8's are equal to #2 lead. I've shot just about all turkey loads on the market including Nitros, nothing compares to this stuff in pattern density and long range killing power!

RDSC00381.jpg

How would that handload shoot out of a .660 Rhino? I don't reload anymore wish I did cause I would like to have bout 10 of those for this coming spring. You mentioned about being the best pattern density than even nitros of course it would your shooting over 200 more pellets than a 3" 2 oz Nitro load. I can tell that those are awesome shells but till someone markets them and gets a good price on them they will be just for reloaders and that sucks.

How would that handload shoot out of a .660 Rhino? I don't reload anymore wish I did cause I would like to have bout 10 of those for this coming spring. You mentioned about being the best pattern density than even nitros of course it would your shooting over 200 more pellets than a 3" 2 oz Nitro load. I can tell that those are awesome shells but till someone markets them and gets a good price on them they will be just for reloaders and that sucks.

I tested the load with my SBE II shooting through a Rhino .660, it put more pellets in the 10" and less in the 20", around 300-310 in the 10", but overall the pattern was not as even as the PG .670, which I liked a little better. The 4x5x7 Nitro Hevishot will have over 500 pellets per shell, so the difference is more like 100 pellets than 200. I'm loading a 3 inch 2 oz load which will have about 620 pellets and a 3 1/2 inch, 2 3/8 load with about 700.

Re-Tested the Federal Mag-Shok Heavyweights #5 1-7/8 oz 3.5" through a full choke instead of the Carlson's Extended Ported Turkey Choke as Trapshooter suggested and got much better results. Only shot at 25 yards and hit a little high but I got a much denser pattern and I am looking forwards to this coming Saturday as that is our Opening Turkey Day. Thanks Trapshooter, the switch up realy did change the performance of the FC Wad!

picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=174

Full sized pic here:

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/tyson129/?action=view&current=Mag_Shok_10_11_09_PatternTest.jpg

Edited by tyson129

I shoot the Remington Nitro Express Turkey loads. These loads are awsome in my 870 shotgun. Good luck turkey hunting.

HI, i have used winchester 3 and 1/2 inch turkey mags in my benelli supernova and have had okay results, but I was hoping since this is a benelli forum, you all may be able to tell me the best ammo to use to take down the big gobbler next year. Ive heard good things about federal.. and remington?

I shoot the Remington Nitro Express Turkey loads. These loads are awsome in my 870 shotgun. Good luck turkey hunting.

I am a big fan of Nitro Express in most applications, Great shot shells. Just wanted the tightest patterns, and here we are trying to post pattern tests of the endless possible ammo choices through different combos of guns and chokes. Glad you found an ammo that you get great consistent results from. Post a Pattern Test if you get a chance so we can see how tight they are and people can see the potential and if it is an ammo they would like to use this season. Good Luck.

Happy Hunting and be Safe!:D

Glad you got better results :)

Yeah Thanks Again. I only have one Mag-Shok Heavyweight #5 3.5" shell left but that is all that it will take anyways. I will follow up with the Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey rounds if for whatever reason the first one doesn't do the trick.

Turkey season for me starts on Saturday, and is the only day I can really hunt out of the 5 days, hope the Gobbler Flock heads my way so I don't have to use my tag on a hen, although the meat should be a little more tender. I guess its a win win, but my family is having a gentleman's bet of who gets the best Tom.

The winner is based on Three Categories:

1. Weight of the dressed bird

2. Beard Length

3. Talon Length

I will post my results, I hope the rain stays away, but that didn't stop me this spring :)!

Hope all of your seasons are going great!

Happy Hunting!

Yeah Thanks Again. I only have one Mag-Shok Heavyweight #5 3.5" shell left but that is all that it will take anyways. I will follow up with the Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey rounds if for whatever reason the first one doesn't do the trick.

Turkey season for me starts on Saturday, and is the only day I can really hunt out of the 5 days, hope the Gobbler Flock heads my way so I don't have to use my tag on a hen, although the meat should be a little more tender. I guess its a win win, but my family is having a gentleman's bet of who gets the best Tom.

The winner is based on Three Categories:

1. Weight of the dressed bird

2. Beard Length

3. Talon Length

I will post my results, I hope the rain stays away, but that didn't stop me this spring :)!

Hope all of your seasons are going great!

Happy Hunting!

Well my turkey season isn't going great because it doesn't exist. The fall turkey season is closed due to low population :( I may get the chance to go to Missouri. Make that shot count.

Well my turkey season isn't going great because it doesn't exist. The fall turkey season is closed due to low population :( I may get the chance to go to Missouri. Make that shot count.

Don't you worry bro, I got you on this one. Sorry that they closed your season. BOOOOOOOO!

I got you bro. Hope you get out to Missouri! This fall the shotshell that worked for me was the Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey #6 2 oz. loads through my SuperNova with a Carlson's Extended Turkey Choke .665 Ported (I know how you feel about that but its what I got for the time being..all my money has gone towards Sitka Gear recently.)

Didn't get my Tom that I have been chasing for over 6 months, but there is always next year, so he should be bigger unless he has peaked but that boy is Huge (Easily twice as big as this girl!). It was the last day that I could hunt so I had to take my opportunity when it presented itself. Hope you all have a great Season! Happy Hunting and Be SAFE!!!!!

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=183

Edited by tyson129

Good job I don't really care if you use a ported choke or not they don't pattern noticeably worse with most loads but I often speak my mind about what I think when people ask about them. I doubt I can make time to get to Missouri so no turkeys this fall. Hopefully there will be plenty of other animals though.