Best Turkey Loads for my benelli

ishootkittens

Good job I don't really care if you use a ported choke or not they don't pattern noticeably worse with most loads but I often speak my mind about what I think when people ask about them. I doubt I can make time to get to Missouri so no turkeys this fall. Hopefully there will be plenty of other animals though.

Thanks man, I know I was just giving you crap. Too bad that you won't make it out to Missouri but Spring is the best for Turkeys anyways. Have fun this fall bro. What do you have your sights on now? For me I am going to catch up on upland/migratory bird and the Saturday after next is opening season for White Tailed Deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this ported and non ported **** is confusing me, are non ported chokes better if you wanna hold tight patterns or are ported chokes better if you wanna reduce recoil.. im so confused. someone please explain.

On a shotgun choke that is ported it will not reduce muzzle jump because the holes are evenly spaced around the entire choke. If they were all on the top you may get a reduced muzzle jump. You may get reduced muzzle flash, but unless your trying not to be seen by enemy snipers you shouldn't have to worry about that. I find that ported chokes look cooler but don't perform as well for all ammo, especially any of the Federal Ammo that utilizes the FC Wad. Ported chokes can reduce felt recoil and in theory they "help slow the wad which won't interfere as much with the shot column and can result in better patterns." This last part was taken from

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_48/ai_82551645/

I did slight word changing but have to reference them so I don't get a call for plagiarism.

I am sure there are more pros and cons for using ported chokes but I hope this helps. In the end the choice is the buyer's preference.

Good Luck!

well people have told me that carlsons and primos make some good chokes and they are all i will buy. i have a primos jelly head and i like it prety well. I only shoot winchester black boxes. 4 shot! i havent tried anything else though, thats why i posted the thread. just wondering what worked for you guys.

well people have told me that carlsons and primos make some good chokes and they are all i will buy. i have a primos jelly head and i like it prety well. I only shoot winchester black boxes. 4 shot! i havent tried anything else though, thats why i posted the thread. just wondering what worked for you guys.

Well I hope that you have found some more ammo options through the posted pattern tests and have found an ammo that patterns well through your jelly head on your SuperNova!

Good Luck out there with those Thunder Chickens!:D

Try those Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey 2oz #6 I told you about. 10 per box and each box is around $17.00, I got 2 boxes at Dicks a week ago where it was buy one get one half off, my buddy picked them up for me and wanted a couple shells and said he would give them to me for $25!! So I got 18 rounds for $25 (saved $9), and scored a nice hen at 45 yards! Check em out, pattern test them and let me know what you think!

Best of Luck!

will the 6's pattern better than the 4's.. cuz i always use the 4's.. but if the 6's will give me a bigger pattern then ill go for it.. alittle range would be nice too!

Oh is that what you shot that One hen with? the one you sent me pictures of?

Yeah the #6 shot was what I got my Thunder Chicken with this year at 45 yards. I can't say that it will give you a better pattern but you will def throw more lead balls at it. #4 is a great size, but there is ammo out there like the Mag-Shok Heavyweights that claim to pattern #7 as dense as #5 at 40 yards. You will get a less dense pattern but the spread will probably be larger and if you make a poor shot you have a margin of error IMO. All up to you my man, go with your gut...or do what I do and pattern the different sizes to see what patterns best at the range you plan on shooting out of your setup. The only problem with this is that you have little time before your season starts and unless you know for sure where the birds are coming out and where you are sitting you may not have the time or money to throw away for ammo tests. You probably have ammo already so I would stick with the stuff you have and get the job done with what your comfortable with and what you know it does at the different yardages.

Good Luck!:D

will the 6's pattern better than the 4's.. cuz i always use the 4's.. but if the 6's will give me a bigger pattern then ill go for it.. alittle range would be nice too!

The 6's will give you a bunch more pellets in your pattern. The more the better in my book. I use the Win. High Velocity # 6's as well. They work good for me. Good luck.

this ported and non ported **** is confusing me, are non ported chokes better if you wanna hold tight patterns or are ported chokes better if you wanna reduce recoil.. im so confused. someone please explain.

Porting chokes will pattern almost the same but I have never seen them pattern better than non ported and sometimes worse. The reason why I don't prefer ported is because they cost more for nothing but looks. I used to love ported chokes tell I compared them to normal chokes and the performance was the same and the recoil was the same and the price was better. So in my opinion if a non ported choke kicks just as soft, patterns just as good, and costs less than a ported choke it is better.

Porting chokes will pattern almost the same but I have never seen them pattern better than non ported and sometimes worse. The reason why I don't prefer ported is because they cost more for nothing but looks. I used to love ported chokes tell I compared them to normal chokes and the performance was the same and the recoil was the same and the price was better. So in my opinion if a non ported choke kicks just as soft, patterns just as good, and costs less than a ported choke it is better.

Yeah I agree with you, but if you got a ported choke and the season is here, may as well use it this year and get a new one that is not ported if he wishes next year. I found a combo that works with my ported choke so I will continue to use it. Right now all my extra money is going towards my gear so Sitka Gear in Optifade is where my funds have been going lately (Which in my opinion is the best gear in the World..although it can be pretty expensive, but doesn't everything that is worth it cost a little more?). Next year if Carlson's Chokes come out with a new and better turkey choke that is not ported I will probably pick it up so that I can enjoy the FC wad, because I do like their patterns.

Good points though.

Yeah I agree with you, but if you got a ported choke and the season is here, may as well use it this year and get a new one that is not ported if he wishes next year. I found a combo that works with my ported choke so I will continue to use it. Right now all my extra money is going towards my gear so Sitka Gear in Optifade is where my funds have been going lately (Which in my opinion is the best gear in the World..although it can be pretty expensive, but doesn't everything that is worth it cost a little more?). Next year if Carlson's Chokes come out with a new and better turkey choke that is not ported I will probably pick it up so that I can enjoy the FC wad, because I do like their patterns.

Good points though.

What constriction and shot size do you recommend for the FC wad. I have a M2 and a .665 Carlson's turkey choke (non ported). TKU, Garry

they will tell you 6.. I have never shot any so i dont know.. but i like 4's just because if you get 1-3 pellets in the brain they are big enough to kill it. ive got 6 pellets in a squirrel one time from 6 shot and it still ran. but i didnt shoot it in the face either. its really up to your gun and choke. try all of em.

What constriction and shot size do you recommend for the FC wad. I have a M2 and a .665 Carlson's turkey choke (non ported). TKU, Garry

That is a Great choke for the FC Wad. As long as it is not ported like you said it won't have any problems. I ended up shooting my last 2 shells of Federal Mag-Shok Heavyweight #5 (I think it was #5, I will have to go back and check) out of a full choke this year, one for a pattern test that I posted on here, one a waste at a big Tom out of range because I wasn't using my Carlson's Turkey choke .665 constriction like yours because mine is ported (Left some feathers but no bird..BOOOO! We ALL miss though, sadly). Wish I would have had your choke on my gun for that shot, because my post would have had a much better looking Bird :( (Wouldn't have been as good to eat IMO as the hen I got). Be wary though of some of the Federal Prices...Is the squeeze worth the juice?..Helll I payed $28.00 for that box of Mag-Shoks for 5 rounds! What a disappointment...If only my Turkey Choke was not Ported! But than again the pattern was much denser out to a much farther range with the FC Wad on a full choke alone.

I say go with the FC Wad out of your Carlson's (I'm guessing extended) Turkey Choke .665 (Non-Ported) and you will see some devastating results!

Good Luck, Hope this Helps.

Sorry I forgot about the shot size question. If you get the Mag-Shok Heavyweights like I did than I would recommend the #7s like they do because they claim they throw as dense of a pattern at 40 yards as the same load in #5. To me it is a win win because you get the density of the #5 shot but you throw a lot more lead pellets at them. Out at a longer range than 40 yards it will be less tight but you will have a larger pattern that could turn a misjudged shot into Turkey on the Table IMO.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!:D

Sorry I forgot about the shot size question. If you get the Mag-Shok Heavyweights like I did than I would recommend the #7s like they do because they claim they throw as dense of a pattern at 40 yards as the same load in #5. To me it is a win win because you get the density of the #5 shot but you throw a lot more lead pellets at them. Out at a longer range than 40 yards it will be less tight but you will have a larger pattern that could turn a misjudged shot into Turkey on the Table IMO.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!:D

I don't understand how high density shot patterns much because I haven't played with it much, but you said hd 7 would pattern looser than lead 5 at 40 yards. I guess this makes sense because steel shot is less dense but patterns tighter so denser shot patterns looser. Am I correct? If so what is the advantage of hd if hd 7 is as dense as lead 5 but the lead 5 patterns better and has equal force and is cheaper?

I don't understand how high density shot patterns much because I haven't played with it much, but you said hd 7 would pattern looser than lead 5 at 40 yards. I guess this makes sense because steel shot is less dense but patterns tighter so denser shot patterns looser. Am I correct? If so what is the advantage of hd if hd 7 is as dense as lead 5 but the lead 5 patterns better and has equal force and is cheaper?

I wish I could answer your question completely, I guess it is personal preference. I did not even realize that the #5 was cheaper, I would say go with #5 if it is cheaper, heck like you said you are getting the same density at 40 yards for cheaper...Can't go wrong. The only point I was making (Before you noting that #5 was cheaper) was that if you did happen to make a slightly off target (Head/Neck) shot past 40 yards you should have a higher chance of still getting your Turkey because the #7 in Theory should technically be less dense after that with a lot more pellets still moving in a larger radius. You should get a larger pattern past 40 yards with the #7 even though it will be less dense. I would go with your gut on this one, it was just my Opinion.

use whatever gives you dense pattern regardless of shot size you still want alot of pellets in your target. 4 pellets in the kill zone from any shot size will drop your average turkey.. if you ask me.

1 pellet in the kill zone should do the trick:)

A few more doesn't hurt.:p

Hahaha, Just to be clear I don't use #7 (typically), I was just talking about the Mag-Shok #7 patterning as dense as the Mag-Shok #5. I typically use #5 or #6 shot depending on the load and my setup. This year I used the #6 Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey 2 oz 3.5" loads to do the trick on that fall Hen. I am not far off from #7 and given the chance I would buy it from Federal in #7, because size won't matter if the density is there.

P.S. I have knocked a lot of Turkeys with loads not ment for Turkey...Go figure.:)

• 6 months later...

Hey guys im new to the TSS, , and im looking to get into reloading some of the tss shot.. Im wondering if anyone has any suggesttions on a recipe for my gun.."(benellie SBE 1) with a rhino .673 choke...im also wondering where i can buy the shot. ? im looking to try the 8 and 9 shot but the tungstensupershot web site does not carry #9? any help would be very appreciated.

Hey guys im new to the TSS, , and im looking to get into reloading some of the tss shot.. Im wondering if anyone has any suggesttions on a recipe for my gun.."(benellie SBE 1) with a rhino .673 choke...im also wondering where i can buy the shot. ? im looking to try the 8 and 9 shot but the tungstensupershot web site does not carry #9? any help would be very appreciated.

Go to Oldgobbler.com and look in the reloading section. Lots of good info there..