my new m1014 and legal issues, any help?

texas skeeter

so after reading "mean green's" thread and his letter from the ATF, and the fact im not a rocket scientist by trade, im still a little confused. so if my m1014 w/flag came from the factory w/ a 2 pc non-collapsible stock and i put and american made full length mag tube as well as the 3-position recoil tube for stock to collapse, will i be in compliance w/ whatever laws that are currently in affect? any help here please. thanks skeeter in texas.

Hey Skeeter,

Assuming the 13 part count. A U.S made mag tube, a U.S. made follower and a U.S made forearm like a Surefire or KZ would make you 922R compliant. But if you're worried I'd advise writing and getting you own letter. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll tell you the M4 is comprised of 11 imported parts :)

Hookster

Edited by Hookster
grammer

Why not? That would replace three of the listed 13 imported parts with U.S. made parts which would bring you to 10 imported parts. Are you thinking about gas piston vs gas piston(s) ?

Hookster

MeanGreen's 13 part count letter applied to the one piece fixed pistol grip buttstock. Texas skeeter has the two piece buttstock.

Meh, face it. There is no way currently to have a 922r legal Benelli M4 and retain both a PG stock and the FL mag-tube. Period. End of story. Can't happen with current publically available parts. Does it matter? No. Will people quibble over it nonetheless. Yes. It would be like me getting a tuner to create a fuel-trim that would allow my Trans Am to function optimally on Mt. Everest. Might I drive up there one day in it? I guess it is within the realm of physically possible if money was no-object and I used a VTOL aircraft to get me there. However...

yeah, agreed here. but it does kind of concern me that if i went to the range to get some tac training in, some over-zealous atf ******* that happen to be there decides to make a big deal about my weapon. i know the chance is remote, but i got 2 young boys!!! so i guess closet training is all my lovely m4 will see!!!icon9.gif skeeter

yeah, agreed here. but it does kind of concern me that if i went to the range to get some tac training in, some over-zealous atf ******* that happen to be there decides to make a big deal about my weapon. i know the chance is remote, but i got 2 young boys!!! so i guess closet training is all my lovely m4 will see!!!icon9.gif skeeter

Much more chance of ATF cruising this forum, getting your IP, knocking on your door (You think that is far fetched? There was a guy on ARF.com who bought a stolen ACOG, FBI showed up at his work-place and asked for it back. Huge thread about it a few months ago) than you are to be accosted at the range.

Dosnt the 11707 take care of all the legal issues because it was made after the assault weapon ban ended in 1994? I'm way out of my element here but there must be real strict laws where you guys live...Dont you guys have some rural areas and friends in the sticks or do you guys shoot indoors or at ranges only?

Dosnt the 11707 take care of all the legal issues because it was made after the assault weapon ban ended in 1994? I'm way out of my element here but there must be real strict laws where you guys live...Dont you guys have some rural areas and friends in the sticks or do you guys shoot indoors or at ranges only?

No, this is an import ban, not about the AWB. No cop has given me any issue. I sold a 922R violating M4 to an officer once as well. Didn't have a problem. This whole 922R thing is WAY overblown.

Yeah, it's "WAY overblown" right up until the point that you have an issue.

EXACTLY!!! so all you guys w/ young kids dont even worry about this so called lame a-ss law? even if there's the slightest chance of going to prison? here in TEXAS, 3 ATF agents are being repremanded for raiding a gay bar w/out legal authorization and 1 of the 3-dollar bills was injured. imagine that!!!:D but it just goes to show you anything can happen anywhere!!! and i wont abandon my kids by remotely/stupidly chanced going to prison.:(

EXACTLY!!! so all you guys w/ young kids dont even worry about this so called lame a-ss law? even if there's the slightest chance of going to prison? here in TEXAS, 3 ATF agents are being repremanded for raiding a gay bar w/out legal authorization and 1 of the 3-dollar bills was injured. imagine that!!!:D but it just goes to show you anything can happen anywhere!!! and i wont abandon my kids by remotely/stupidly chanced going to prison.:(

If you have a FL tube, buy a field-stock. Or get rid of the tube.

Those are your 2 options at this time. End of discussion pretty much.

Yes, if you hold up a Thrifty with it or something, they will throw 922R at you in addition to all the other crap.

Dude, you're a green youngster and you don't know any better, and you're forgiven for that. However encouraging others to willfully engage in acts of downright stupidity is unforgivable.

If the BATF wants to put the wood to you, they will. Why give them an opening? It only takes one ***hole to ruin your life.

Take for instance the David Olofson case. He's doing prison time now, and for what? Something far less egregious than some nitpicking 922r compliance. Even someone from Olympic Arms was there at his trial ready and willing to testify in David Olofson's defense (about a recall on that particular production series), yet the judge wouldn't allow it. That testimony would have exonerated David Olofson. This is only one example how overzealous g-men can turn your life upside down.

This was the same trial where a BATF agent on the stand testified that a double barrel shotgun would qualify as a 'machinegun' under some circumstances.

Don't be asinine (an inexcusable failure to excercise intelligence or sound judgment). :rolleyes:

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

If you have a FL tube, buy a field-stock. Or get rid of the tube.

Those are your 2 options at this time. End of discussion pretty much.

Are you sure an imported shotgun with a standard field stock that has a magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds (FL Tube) is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes?

Last I heard the AG went with the notion that traditional sporting shotguns generally contain magazines that have a capacity of 3-5 rounds. This would still seem to hold true as MeanGreen's letter stated "shotguns having a magazine capacity greater then 5 rounds are currently prohibited from importation..." Removing one of the so called "evil features" (pistol grip) is moot as that law expired and has nothing to do with 922®.

...Take for instance the David Olofson case. He's doing prison time now, and for what?

I had to look up David Olofson on the Internet. I have to admit I never want to see that many hits on Google when I type in my name. For anyone else out of the loop Mr. Olofson loaned an AR semi-auto rifle to someone. When that person took it to a public range the rifle malfunctioned and fired short full auto bursts and then jammed. The rifle was not modified in any way and was about 15 years old. It was subject to a safety recall due to unregulated "hammer follow" firing. Mr Olofson was prosecuted and convicted of illegally "Transferring" an unregistered weapon. Since ATF is the sole arbitor of what constitutes a machine gun he was pretty much SOL. They initially declared the gun a rifle until some zealous young agent suggested trying soft primer ammo and voila a machine gun was born!:eek: