KZ U.S. made forearm review

Hookster

I'm thinking of getting the U.S. made FL tube from Tactical Shotgunner it might be ok for a temporary setup til Kip can get things together

http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/one-piece-replacement-tube-for-benelli-m1014-m11707-shotguns-p-196.html

Hookster

The tube you linked to would be my second choice. It's made of chrome moly and would probably machine very nicely. If you are going to buy one of Kip's tubes eventually why not buy one of the TacStar cheapy +2 extensions? If you have any 922® issues it's way easier to ditch the +2 extension than disassemple an FL tube. That would give you full capacity and you wouldn't take as big a financial hit when you dump it later for Kip's tube. You could dump the used TacStar on GB and probably get most of your investment back. Just a thought...there is a recession going on. Mind the pennies and the dollars watch out for themselves.

Edited by OhioM4

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I think this is the area that MeanGreen was having a fit issue but mine seems to fit fine

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/hookster_photo/benellikz106.jpgbenellikz106.jpg

Hookster, that is exactely where I was having the fit issue. Believe me, I used my full weight trying to get the barrel to sit flush against the receiver, but there are still about a milimeter gap. I compared the orginal forend to the KZ forend and it looked like it was about a milimeter or so longer.

Looks like yours fits perfectly. Maybe there was just a variance in the one I ordered. Yours looks great.

I did hold the barrel and tapped the stock on the floor just to make sure everything was fully seated but maybe they machined yours on the day the QC manager was on vacation. Have you contacted them about the fit issue (maybe you could exchange) or tried your own fix?

Hookster

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Hookster,

I already told you this in a PM, but after putting on my Surefire forend on my M4 I found out that the fit issue wasn't the KZ forend but my M4. The magazine holder bracket under barrel I think was shaped a little weird. It wasn't fully flat where it met the forend. So I ended up filing it down a bit and the Surefire forend fit fine.

I knew it was my gun and not the forend because both of the KZ and Surefire forends had the same exactely size spacing issue. I took off the barrel and eye balled the bracket and saw that it looked a little warped. Maybe when they were putting on the finish or something the left a bit too much goop on.

On that note, after putting on the Surefire forend I actually think I like the KZ forend more. Since the KZ forend is all metal as opposed to metal and rubber like the Surefire.

Edited by MeanGreen

I'm glad your fit issue is resolved. Nothing worse than spending money on a part and then having some kind of issue. I really think the KZ is a good option for a U.S made forend. I'm just looking at the Surefire right now because it would allow me to have a U.S. made forend and keep my Sidearmor rail but if it gets too heavy with the M80 I may go back to the KZ.

Hookster

Hookster,

In looking at the pictures on BoTach's website for the KZ, it appears that the upper picatinny rail is required for mounting? Is this true?

I use a Mesa Tactical side side that is integrated with the rail on the receiver, and I'd like to try out the KZ but I don't want to give up my side saddle.

Thanks for any insight.

Actually the handguard portion of the KZ is secured the same as the stock Benelli forend grips, very securely. the upper rail section would not have to be installed if you did not want to use it. You could also probably cut the KZ rail to the length of the handguard and just install a section on top of the handguard if you wanted. Just so you know, if you dont install a top rail you will have the screw holes visible on top of the handguard like the picture in post #33 of this thread. Not a big deal unless you have OCD about aesthetics.

Hope that helps,

Hookster

• 2 months later...

Hi Slider,

The weight is not bad with the KZ. a little more than the stock plastic grips of course but I was suprised by how light it is while still being very solid (all those vent holes help out). I haven't fired my M4 with the KZ in place. I just bought it to explore 922r options and I prefer the Surefire since it allows me to keep my Sidearmor rail in place. Zee or MeanGreen might have a range report for you though.

benellikz104.jpg

Later,

Hookster :)

I just received my KZ hanguard today. It is well constructed and as small as possible for a 4 rail system. However, I have already noticed that it feels MUCH more comfortable upside down. That is, the top, without the rail installed, approximates the size of the original handguards and is quite comfortable. I am considering milling off the back 3/4th of the bottom rail, so it only has about two inches of rail up front, and going with bare aluminum. For that matter, there is no reason why you could not cut off everything above the side rails and have two side rails, a shortened bootom rail and totally open in the top. You would still have the M4 rail on the receiver and it would save a lot of weight. How much stuff would you really hang of this premier scatter gun? A light, a laser, a red dot. Plenty of room for ALL that.

The only concern I have is the bear metal aluminum handguard, but I think that may not be a major concern. I guess I could always dip the bottom in plasticoat, but I thing the bare aluminum might not be a bad option.

Thoughts?

Panabax

I just received my KZ hanguard today. It is well constructed and as small as possible for a 4 rail system. However, I have already noticed that it feels MUCH more comfortable upside down. That is, the top, without the rail installed, approximates the size of the original handguards and is quite comfortable. I am considering milling off the back 3/4th of the bottom rail, so it only has about two inches of rail up front, and going with bare aluminum. For that matter, there is no reason why you could not cut off everything above the side rails and have two side rails, a shortened bootom rail and totally open in the top. You would still have the M4 rail on the receiver and it would save a lot of weight. How much stuff would you really hang of this premier scatter gun? A light, a laser, a red dot. Plenty of room for ALL that.

The only concern I have is the bear metal aluminum handguard, but I think that may not be a major concern. I guess I could always dip the bottom in plasticoat, but I thing the bare aluminum might not be a bad option.

Thoughts?

Panabax

Hey Panabax! I think the KZ does have a lot of potential for modification possibilities if you want to do some machine work or have it done. I was briefly considering a suggestion made by StrangerDanger to cut just above the side rails and just use the lower half of it as a grip with the Sidearmor rail on top. I probably would have tried it if the Surefire M80 was unavailable. I think it might have worked out well. If you also removed most of the bottom rail as you suggested, I think you'd end up with a very light set up without any major loss of strength/rigidity I know Zee just cut down his top rail section on his KZ so he could keep his Mesa shell carrier in place. Keep us posted on your project. I'm anxious to see what you come up with!

Later,

Hookster :)