KZ U.S. made forearm review

Hookster

OK, well that did not take too long. Machining aluminum is very easy. The handguard came out very good. There is no substantial loss in rigidity. While the modified handguard is more prone to flexing in my vise, I can not flex it with my hands at all. It remains very stiff and very strong. It has had probably 40% reduction in mass (sorry, I did not weigh it). Best of all, the grip is very comfortable. No pringles can effect. I think it mat be a keeper.

Panabax

I will post some images as soon as my post count gets to 5.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, the only plan is for a sling swivel. I know, pathetic. The stock is really just for 922r compliance. What a pain in the ass. However, I may throw a laser max on the right side for hip shooting. I put a verticle foregrip on the bottom, but I prefer the horizontal so I took it off. I am happy with the way it turned out but will probably continue to tweak it some more. The best part is that it feels right, like it belongs on there, which a lot of rails do not.

Panabax

Now why can't someone make something like this in the first place? They just need to build a handguard without rails, and offer modular rail sections that screw on to the handguard. (Yes, I know the challenges and why Benelli went with a two-piece handguard; but it still shouldn't be that difficult to do.)

Hey Panabax: Do you think the rails that screw onto (AR-15/M16) A2 handguards would screw into the holes at the bottom of your KZ handguards? Just curious ... I know clearance of the screws over the magazine might be an issue.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I don't know about that, but there is no reason you could not drill and tap the hanguard to receive a rail. I am thinking about milling the side rails off as well and combining the modified KZ with a Sidearmor rail. It will give side rails in line with the barrel and reduce, even further, the width of the hanguard to something very closely approximating the original.

Seems like a lot of work. There must not be enough of a market for aftermarket stuff. Seems like plastic replacement handguards would not be that difficult.

Oh well.

Panabax

I am thinking about milling the side rails off as well and combining the modified KZ with a Sidearmor rail. It will give side rails in line with the barrel and reduce, even further, the width of the hanguard to something very closely approximating the original.

Now that would be something to see! I wish I had the skills.

Now that would be something to see! I wish I had the skills.

I don't think it's a matter of skills so much as it is access to the tools and a willingness to risk your investment. I can't afford a KZ right now as it is, so I'm definitely not willing to cut one up. And I don't have the tools ... But if I had the tools and the money, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing. It seems simple enough to do.

Just got back from the range. The modified KZ hand guard is very comfortable to shoot. The proof is in the fact that I forgot I had it on there. No heat, no venting gas, nada. I was so fixated on the pellet patterns at different distances that I simply forgot the stock was not OEM.

If anyone has a KZ rail and access to a bridgeport or other suitable milling machine, the end result is a very good, very practical product. No more Pringles can for me.

Panabax

Has anyone been having problems with Botach lately? They used to have such a bad rep, but it sounds like they've improved to judge by the lack of recent complaints.

I've only order the KZ rail from them and they shipped the same day and the order arrived without problem.

Panabax

very nice., I was thinking it would be real nice to remove the first 3 or4 inches off the side and bottom rails. panabox I'll be your first customer, how much to shave the rails?

I appreciate the confidence in my machining skills, but I am just a hobbyist with a mill and a lathe. Not looking for customers. The mod is very simple if you have access to a milling machine. I am happy to continue to offer my prototyping services.

That said, I was considering having a batch of US made gas pistons made. They can be turned on a CNC lathe pretty cheaply, but in order to justify the cost, you would need to manufacture twenty or thirty sets to bring the cost per set down to a reasonable amount. I would consider pursuing this if there was enough interest.

In the mean time, I am planning on turning a pair of gas pistons on my lathe and testing them in the next couple of weeks. It seems like the gas pistons are the next most obvious 922r part to manufacture domestically. If it were not for the three grooves cut into each piston ring, it would be a pure lathe job which would be very cost effective on CNC equipment. I wonder what would happen if the grooves were omitted. I am not sure what their intended function is. I assume to slow down the piston stroke.

Panabax

Panabax

Edited by panabax