KZ U.S. made forearm review

Hookster

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the same boat for the AFG. I like the concept since that is how I hold my MRP anyway. I figure for 30 bucks, I can try it without much regret.

I put GearSector's new QD sling mounts on the MRP last week. They're profiled better than the Daniel Defense model. They have the limited rotation blocks too, so you don't end up tangled in a knot. Plus, you can adjust how the rifle hangs by how the swivel is angled in 90 degree increments.

I got a FDE one in the mail today ... I've spent hours changing up the config on my MRP ... not sure if I like it, especially when trying to make it work with my light mount ... needs range time to really tell.

The Cobra buckle system would be compromised by using the QD mounts. The Cobra is tough enough that you could hang from the sling without worrying about breaking anything. I would not trust a QD mount to hold under that level of load. Saying that, the Cobra isn't worth buying if it isn't attached in a secure manner.

You might run into issues with the Cobra buckle banging against your weapon too. If you don't mind, it is fine then.

As for the AFG, I'm not sure if I will like it either. I hope it works okay with the placement of my X300 at the 12 o'clock rail position. I'm concerned my front sight will be in the way. We'll see, I can live without if it doesn't work out.

The Cobra buckle system would be compromised by using the QD mounts. The Cobra is tough enough that you could hang from the sling without worrying about breaking anything. I would not trust a QD mount to hold under that level of load. Saying that, the Cobra isn't worth buying if it isn't attached in a secure manner.

If you're going to have a releasable buckle (like the Cobra) there's really no point in having QD attachment points. Fastex or Cobra ... Just use the OEM sling attachment points on the Benelli--on my M4, the front is positioned on the left side, so I'd use the left-side attachment point on the stock as well--and you've still got your weapon securely slung with the ability to drop it quickly if it gets hung up on something.

As for the AFG, I'm not sure if I will like it either. I hope it works okay with the placement of my X300 at the 12 o'clock rail position. I'm concerned my front sight will be in the way. We'll see, I can live without if it doesn't work out.

I LOVE the concept of the AFG. Unfortunately, it probably won't work out well for many people on a carbine-length forearm. Because the forearm is shorter, the arm is more bent; and because the arm is more bent, the wrist would be put in a more uncomfortable position with the AFG.

The AFG might be much better suited for mid-length and rifle-length handguards. I think I'd stick with a vertical grip on the carbine; unless/until they come out with an AFG that has a bit more vertical angle than the current one. (I never used the "thumb over" grip on a carbine. I don't have long arms, but the carbine handguards are still too short to allow for any real advantage in controlability with that hold ... At least, in my opinion.)

Edited by LeoAtrox

well i guess you're right, with the quick release of the cobra the need for QD isn't really there anymore. how many inches is the OEM mount? i measured mine, it was about 1.3 inches, though some say it's only 1 inch?

the Cobra is 1.25 inches, so if i measured correctly, it should work out just fine.

does anyone know a better sling than the cobra? everyone of you's got way more experience than me, so don't hesitate to throw in something new.

ok ok, here ya go:

VCAS COBRA PADDED VERSION

OUR PATENT PENDING VICKERS COMBAT APPLICATIONS SLING™ WITH THE ADDITION OF THE COBRA QUICK RELEASE BUCKLE AND ALL METAL HARDWARE. THE COBRA BUCKLE IS NORMALLY USED IN LIFE SUPPORT APPLICATIONS AND IS DESIGNED TO NOT OPEN UNDER LOAD.

THIS VERSION HAS CNC MACHINED ALUMINUM QUICK ADJUST AND 2 INCH PADDING.

for the love of god, how does this image posting work?

21ex3c.jpg

alright, here it is.

lol. it can be ordered in black, and if they ship to germany, you'll see it on a M4.

i was just curious on hearing your opinions.

did you ever hear of plastic hardware breaking on a sling? as this thing is all metal, i saw it as an advantage over the plastic.

Edited by xamoel

If the original poster wants us to stop cyber squatting on his lawn, we'll gladly move on dot org.

I got the Magpul Angled Forward Grip today. It works great with my X300. I can see how it would be a NOGO with the Scout Light. However, Magpul did some strange things with this piece. When installed, you cannot mount rail covers (even ladder rails on on the sides rails directly above the unit. I have no clue why they did this.

So I modified the AFG so they would fit. 20 minutes with my pen grinder and the rail covers now fit as they should. The covers actually blend perfectly with the AFG.

I think it has some potential on a Benelli.

4280472135_b43d8b069b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4280472135_b43d8b069b_b.jpg

4280472273_0381d430af.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4280472273_0381d430af_b.jpg

If the original poster wants us to stop cyber squatting on his lawn, we'll gladly move on dot org.

Cyber-squat away!!!!!......:)

Hey SD what do you think of the feel of the AFG on the MRP?

That is strange that it needs to be modified to work with MagPul rail covers!

Later,

Hookster :)

strange that magpul didn't take care of the rail covers working together with the AFG. but how would you mount this on a benelli, except by replacing the original handguard with the KZ one?

Yeah, You would need a forend with a bottom rail to make it work on a Benelli

H.....................................................:)

hey STRANGE, how are you supposed to hold this FG?? stick a finger through the triangulated hole? it doesnt look very comfortable or ergo by the pics. can you post another pic of you holding it? thanks TS

Fingers grip the leading edge.

I'm not making the gun show this weekend so I won't get to play with one in person and I still remain somewhat dubious as well about how comfortable it would be and if that comfort would be worth the extra weight.

Later,

Fingers grip the leading edge.

I'm not making the gun show this weekend so I won't get to play with one in person and I still remain somewhat dubious as well about how comfortable it would be and if that comfort would be worth the extra weight.

Later,

it just looks like you cannot wrap your fingers or hand around it and thats the whole point with a vfg.;) i use a gps vfg. grip and bi-pod = win/win!!

it just looks like you cannot wrap your fingers or hand around it and thats the whole point with a vfg.;) i use a gps vfg. grip and bi-pod = win/win!!

Yeah, I'd been using a Tango Down VFG for a while on my old upper (S&W M&P 15T) but for some reason I like the feel better without one on my MRP upper.

HOOKSTA' :)

The KZ or the Surefire M80 would be needed to make it work. See how we brought the off topic back on? ;)

You use the same grip you do with a pistol. Your four fingers wrap around the front of the AFG and your thumb runs horizontally down the side rail or over the top rail. I set the grip on the rail so my thumb is positioned within reach of my X300's activation switch. Depending on what light you're using, this grip may or may not work. It depends where the activation switch is relative to where you've mounted the grip.

You won't chicken wing the rifle with this grip. If you try, you end up over extending your wrist. So it is more comfortable to actually hold the rifle properly.

With your fingers wrapped around the grip, you have a lot of leverage to pull the rifle into your shoulder without fatiguing your hand by squeezing and pulling.

I think the reason the covers don't always fit depends on what rail you're using. Each rail maker is different as they all try for a slim line package. The MRP's rails are quite compact, so this might be the reason it didn't fit. 20 minutes with a light grit sander fixed everything.