First time shooting Sporting Clays

p00nking

Yesterday was my first time shooting Sporting Clays and damn it was a lot of fun. I hit 17 out of 25, the first time I ever shot that sport. When I used to be on a shooting team I was garbage at Skeet, only hitting about 15 of 25 on a good day. Trap I did really well, always hitting more than 21 clays each round, had a few perfect rounds before too. What choke should I be using for Sporting clays? I didn't switch out chokes yesterday when I went from the Trap range to the Sporting Clay range and I had a Improved Modified I believe (didn't pay much attention the first time I put it in)

Yesterday was my first time shooting Sporting Clays and damn it was a lot of fun. I hit 17 out of 25, the first time I ever shot that sport. When I used to be on a shooting team I was garbage at Skeet, only hitting about 15 of 25 on a good day. Trap I did really well, always hitting more than 21 clays each round, had a few perfect rounds before too. What choke should I be using for Sporting clays? I didn't switch out chokes yesterday when I went from the Trap range to the Sporting Clay range and I had a Improved Modified I believe (didn't pay much attention the first time I put it in)

I would say light modified or Improved Cylinder.

Leave your choke alone.

17 out of 25 is very good for a beginner.

Why mess with success?

If you play SC on that same course again, best thing to watch for is HOW you are breaking the clays with your existing choke(s) and ammo .

In general, in general, in general new guys try to "open up" a bit (like Novaking said) to LM or IC. BUT every gun is as different as every shooter (also I'm assuming your shooting single barrel 12gauge auto??)

Don't change your choke setting until you have shot the game more, and especially till you try different ammunition.

Your IM choke may be the same pattern as some other guys LM choke (in his gun).

Don't mess with success , yet .... too early to change anything. Work on another 17/25 , and then another, with what you have now. You will learn a lot.

(PS.... Sporting Clay ranges are usually 50 to 100 shot courses, you have plenty of time to know what choke to use.)

Edited by Mr Slugo
addendum

"What choke should I be using for Sporting clays?"

Depends on the course. Were you shooting 5-stand or true sporting clays?

Most lost targets are a result of operator error, and not because you had the wrong choke in the gun.

Keep your head on the stock, and both eyes on the target.

Most lost targets are a result of operator error, and not because you had the wrong choke in the gun.

Aint that the truth. I have heard so many people blame the shells or the choke, or how the machine throws. I tell them with at least half an ounce of lead, a familiar gun and at least a mod choke it is 99% In your head.

"What choke should I be using for Sporting clays?"

Depends on the course. Were you shooting 5-stand or true sporting clays?

Keep your head on the stock, and both eyes on the target.

Great Advice on keeping your head on the stock, I find it to be one of the best tips for shooting. Cheeking the stock is a must.