Steel shot in Supersport for gease

malakaz

I'm going on a goose hunt for the first time and I have a supersport and I was just wondering if steel shot is ok for the barrel and choke tubes. I know there are some choke tubes that say steel ok on it, but i was always told that steel shot ruins or scratches the barrel. Is this true or is steel shot ok for the supersport?

I'm going on a goose hunt for the first time and I have a supersport and I was just wondering if steel shot is ok for the barrel and choke tubes. I know there are some choke tubes that say steel ok on it, but i was always told that steel shot ruins or scratches the barrel. Is this true or is steel shot ok for the supersport?

Most modern guns, especially relatively expensive guns like benellis are steel shot ok. Not all the choke tubes are though, check the readings on the choke tubes and if they say "steel shot ok" then you can use steel shot with that choke, If the choke tube says "no steel shot" then don't use steel shot in that choke.

i also read that a modified for steel shot is similar to a full choke in lead because steel doesn't constrict as much. Is this true? If so i should be looking to use a modified or improved cylinder for duck or geese using steel shot

Yes it is true, I hear the extended factory Benelli chokes pattern tighter, so I would have to pattern the gun with the choke and loads you are using to get a sure answer. When in doubt go tighter.

Two points:

1) I shoot steel through my 20 ga SuperSport all of the time for pheasant in Iowa and ND due to the use of non-toxic shot in public areas. Steel works just fine. I use an IC choke for game farms and opening weekend, and a Mod choke later in the season if the birds are going up wild.

2) Do yourself a favor and pattern your gun at 22 and 32 yards with the steel loads that you will be using for geese. Snap shooting at 22 yards will let you know if you are putting the gun up correctly and/or if the drop needs to be adjusted. Shoot at least three shots in a row, snapping up each one, at the patterning board. At 32 yards, you will see the pattern that you will be throwing at geese. In my experience, if you are missing geese at 32 yards with steel shot through a modified choke, it is because you missed them by more than 3 feet. Steel gives an excellent 3 foot patten at 32 yards through a Benelli stock modified choke. We have tested this using my SuperSport 20 ga, my 12 ga SBEII and my buddies new camo Vinci 12 ga. Remember, if you can clearly see their eyes, shoot at the head - if you can't, give them an uncomfortable lead (shoot some skeet and you will know what I mean)

Shoot lots of skeet as a warm up for the season, its the best for getting used to a lot of crossing shots which you will see the most of duck and goose hunting. Sporting clays isnt bad either because you will get more of a mixture of target angles.

A 3' - 5' lead is not too much in some cases where you have a further distances to shoot.

Mod choke with steel is about the limit before you either damage equipment or blow out the pattern.

Take a few shots as suggested on a patterning board with IC and Mod chokes then you will know what we mean.