M4 gas port cleaning.

ERdept

Is there any thing that and fit into the B. M4 gas port holes?

I did the bore snake and brush and mop on the barrel and cleaned everything else in detail.

But want to run something through the gas port holes.

Correct me if I am wrong which I probably am, but aren't they supposed to be self cleaning? Just like barrel ports. The speed of the gas is like a pressure washer blowing away any gunk from the last shot.

Pulled the pistons out and cleaned both of their respective housings. (Both pistons are hard chromed to be easy to clean and show carbon/fouling much more easily than the black original pistons). Contrast in color makes it much easier to clean missed areas and visualize fouling.

I want to clean the ports from the barrel to the pistons.

It's clear the pistons "scrape" the opening of the ports that enter into the piston area. That is the very walls of where the port intersect the housing for the gas pistons.

But nothing cleans the body of the port holes. The actual raceway of the gasses.

I'm talking in between the piston scrapers and the barrel. It's probably 1-2mm length of area.

That's the area I want to clean. I know it's not necessary. That's not what I"m asking. Just asking if anyone has found a way to get into the area.

downsized_0819090050.jpg

0819090052.jpg

Edited by ERdept

,,if they where to get clogged up,,maybe a paper clip straightened and then bent on the end at a 90 degree angle,but to check for the problem,,you have to blow through the barrel sealing off the chamber end and listen for air flow thru the ports.

I used to run a .40cal bore-brush down the piston sleeves, that was the most I did there, just b/c I am OCD. It is not needed. You don't clean the gas-port on an AR do you? Thought not.

I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD but in alphabetical order like it should be!

I wipe off the pistons and run a cleaning patch through the piston sleeves. The instructions are really adamant about not oiling the pistons. I used some Hoppes oil as a solvent but used clean patches to remove most of the oil residue. I think oil interferes with the self-cleaning action and causes the residue to gunk up instead of pass through.

I used to run a .40cal bore-brush down the piston sleeves, that was the most I did there, just b/c I am OCD. It is not needed. You don't clean the gas-port on an AR do you? Thought not.

I thought I was pretty thorough in explaining what I did and what I was trying to do and what I realized.

One more time. I already cleaned the sleeves. I realize you dont' need to clean the actual ports raceway. But, I want to anyway. This is the question I asked.

Has anyone used anything to clean it. Not has anyone not cleaned it or left it.

I have not tried the dental pic. Thank you. That was closest to what I was looking for.

I thought I was pretty thorough in explaining what I did and what I was trying to do and what I realized.

One more time. I already cleaned the sleeves. I realize you dont' need to clean the actual ports raceway. But, I want to anyway. This is the question I asked.

Has anyone used anything to clean it. Not has anyone not cleaned it or left it.

I have not tried the dental pic. Thank you. That was closest to what I was looking for.

OK! I understand the words that are coming out of your mouth...

It does not appear the ports are cleaned by anyone so we are forging ahead to new territory. You may be able to clean the ports from inside the barrel with a right angle dentists brush. They are referred to as interdental or interproximal brushes. They come in a variety of diameters and some are conical in shape. I don't have a clue what diameter the port is but you may find something big enough to work (the first link shows standard passage hole diameters for each standard size brush) . I don't think I would recommend using a dental pick as it would scratch the **** out of the bore finishes in the piston sleeve and/or barrel.

ISO Standard Sizes:

http://www2.tepe.com/fileadmin/uploads/phd/tepe-phd-EN-ver-1.pdf

A Company that makes a right angle handle with interchangeable tips:

http://www.dentist.net/butler-proxabrush.asp

Remember to see your dentist and gun smith for regular 6 month cleanings and checkups:D

OK! I understand the words that are coming out of your mouth...

It does not appear the ports are cleaned by anyone so we are forging ahead to new territory. You may be able to clean the ports from inside the barrel with a right angle dentists brush. They are referred to as interdental or interproximal brushes. They come in a variety of diameters and some are conical in shape. I don't have a clue what diameter the port is but you may find something big enough to work (the first link shows standard passage hole diameters for each standard size brush) . I don't think I would recommend using a dental pick as it would scratch the **** out of the bore finishes in the piston sleeve and/or barrel.

ISO Standard Sizes:

http://www2.tepe.com/fileadmin/uploads/phd/tepe-phd-EN-ver-1.pdf

A Company that makes a right angle handle with interchangeable tips:

http://www.dentist.net/butler-proxabrush.asp

Remember to see your dentist and gun smith for regular 6 month cleanings and checkups:D

YES!

ABSOLUTELY perfect! Thank you so much. I genuinely appreciate it.

• 12 years later...
On 8/19/2009 at 4:52 PM, OhioM4 said:

I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD but in alphabetical order like it should be!

I wipe off the pistons and run a cleaning patch through the piston sleeves. The instructions are really adamant about not oiling the pistons. I used some Hoppes oil as a solvent but used clean patches to remove most of the oil residue. I think oil interferes with the self-cleaning action and causes the residue to gunk up instead of pass through.

I think any residue left behind from using oil/ solvents inside of the piston sleeves can cause the o-rings on the pistons to prematurely erode 

45 minutes ago, benelliwerkes said:

I'm thinking the 2009 OP is dead and doesn't care anymore.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 5.51.06 PM.png

I'm new to posting on forums... for years, I've googled something and then read the corresponding link from my search query... only, this time, I actually signed up to participate on a forum and leave a comment,  only to be subsequently notified by another member that the original poster "no longer cares".... Is that how this works?? If a post is older than a certain arbitrary time frame, am I not welcome to add my comments?  (Eventhough the topic is still relevant) Am I supposed to create a new post? What's the standard internet thing to do? Please let a new member know...

Screenshot_20210618-101852_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1