EFFECTIVE range

leeharrysouth

I have a 12 gage Nova Pump tactical with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. I have been shooting No. 8 Remington game/upland bird loads and Winchester low recoil "featherweight" 00 buckshot. Can anyone give me an idea of the aprox. effective range and width of pattern to expect at that range with these loads. Also, what pattern to expect at aprox. 12 yards.

Thanks

I have a 12 gage Nova Pump tactical with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. I have been shooting No. 8 Remington game/upland bird loads and Winchester low recoil "featherweight" 00 buckshot. Can anyone give me an idea of the aprox. effective range and width of pattern to expect at that range with these loads. Also, what pattern to expect at aprox. 12 yards.

Thanks

First we need to know what kind of choke do you have it the gun.

First we need to know what kind of choke do you have it the gun.

The Tactical 18" barrel is a fixed cylinder design.

As for patterning I put around 3,000 rounds of similar birdshot through my own SNT and also around 500 rounds of Winchester 00 buckshot.

Shooting the birdshot from roughly 12-15 yards would produce around a 20" spread on paper. As for 00 buckshot it was a bit better but random flyers was the norm with maybe half the load arriving on target.