SBEII Shooting High and to the Left

DU4ME2

OK, I'm stupid....I purchased this gun last year and never patterned it...Well, today I thru a couple of rounds in it just to see where i was at....the first load was a 3 1/2 winchester expert, 1 3/8 #2 at roughly 35 yards. Kicks Full choke Tube..Well, the load went high and to the left....Second load was a Federal 3" Speed Shok 1/1/4 #2 same choke tube...Wasn't much better....So, I changed Choke Tubes to the factory modified and tried the 3 1/2" incher again.. it was somewhat better and probably enough to bring the bird down...Any suggestions??? Should I slow the speed down, maybe?? It just was not a nice and tight pattern..Or should I continue to look for a shell that patterns well....

OK, I'm stupid....I purchased this gun last year and never patterned it...Well, today I thru a couple of rounds in it just to see where i was at....the first load was a 3 1/2 winchester expert, 1 3/8 #2 at roughly 35 yards. Kicks Full choke Tube..Well, the load went high and to the left....Second load was a Federal 3" Speed Shok 1/1/4 #2 same choke tube...Wasn't much better....So, I changed Choke Tubes to the factory modified and tried the 3 1/2" incher again.. it was somewhat better and probably enough to bring the bird down...Any suggestions??? Should I slow the speed down, maybe?? It just was not a nice and tight pattern..Or should I continue to look for a shell that patterns well....

It could be what tucker said and you have a distorted pattern. Or it could be a POI problem. Try shooting some 6 shot or lighter with the full choke. The gun shooting a little high is normal for a Benelli. This is so you can shoot the bird while seeing the bird. I like to have my wing and clay guns shooting 80% of the shot above the dot I put the bead on. I like a scope-less turkey gun to put 60-50% of the shot above the dot I put my bead on. Are you right hand or left hand? Are you shooting a right or left hand gun? Have you ever took the butt stock off?

I'm right handed and shoot that way....Shooting at ducks I normally shoot #2's, but if this is the case, maybe #4's would be better with a full choke.....Haven't touched the stock yet or shims...........

I guess that means you have a right hand gun right? If so then if it was used then maybe the seller flipped the locking plate around. Maybe the manufacturer flipped the locking plate around. Maybe the gun doesn't fit you right, maybe you hold your gun a little different than most people, maybe you flinch, who knows? You need to try shooting from a rest. How far does it shoot to the left?

I was shooting from a sitting positon...after looking and shouldering the gun, maybe, just maybe it could be the sights???I'm really not use to the optic sight on the end of the barrel and then I have the small bead behind it...What if I took the optic sight off and replaced it with a regular bead, and took the other bead off...Then I would be only shooting and aiming off of one bead??

I was shooting from a sitting positon...after looking and shouldering the gun, maybe, just maybe it could be the sights???I'm really not use to the optic sight on the end of the barrel and then I have the small bead behind it...What if I took the optic sight off and replaced it with a regular bead, and took the other bead off...Then I would be only shooting and aiming off of one bead??

You could try putting a larger type bead on the front. Like the beads used on the Novas. The bigger diameter will make you shoot lower. This does not help the shooting to the left problem though. Just a thought.. Good luck.

You are supposed to line the two beads up, so that the beads are centered with each other, and sitting down wont make much difference, you need to shoot with the gun on a table.

I have a Nova 20 gauge...Why is the end sight bigger on the Nova and so small on the SBEII...:eek: i would think they would be the same>>

I can't tell you why, but I put the champion easy hit sight which is bigger than the sbe/m2 bead, but just a tad smaller than the nova bead. And it is much brighter that either beads. It is amazing how much different the pump models are from the semi autos.

I have a Nova 20 gauge...Why is the end sight bigger on the Nova and so small on the SBEII...:eek: i would think they would be the same>>

Don't reallyy know why, but I own 2 Novas and both of them have the large bead. I have a SBE ll that shot about 15'' high at 20 yds. Sent it back to Benelli and one of the things they did was to put the large bead on it. I could not read the writing on the work order so I don't know what else they did. When I got it back, it shot dead nuts where I pointed it. I hunt a lot of partridge and you need a gun that shoots where you point. Being from Wi., you know what I'm talking about. If the bead on your Nova is larger, I would take it off and try it. You have nothing to lose. good luck.. Mike

That is it...I will try it.....Shooting from a bench and change to a bigger sight...........:cool:

I'm sure that this will help. I don't know about the shooting left thing..maybe just pulling it. The larger front sight will help. Hope it is enough.... Keep us informed. Boom, Boom, Boom.

I'm a bit confused. Are you shooting steel #2 and #4 through a full choke? Some one mentioned using a full choke for ducks. Try the modified choke, it is basically the full choke for steel. Try patterning at 22 yards first to see if you are putting the gun up correctly. You should be seeing the back sight half way up the front sight. Are you seeing a lot of rib when you aim? You might need to lower the drop using the shims. If the problem persists, lower the drop. Shooting to the left is common and caused by miss position of the gun butt by right handed shooters. Make sure the beads are lined up and the back bead is half way up the front bead (it should look like a figure 8).

Before I started changing beads and such, I went down to the local gunsmith...Right away he said you need to use the drop shim...So, I put the "C" drop shim in and there was a noticeable difference..before, when I had the gun up, I saw to much barrel..But now, things seem to be right there...Now, the choke question...I notified Kicks about the High flyer Full Choke tube that I was shooting...they said I shouldn't have a pattern problem with shooting #2 steel, unless it was a bad tube...My factory tube i shoot what benelli recommends and that is the modified...I'm glad you guys give good advice....I grew up shooting an 870 all my life and hit had no shims and only one bead...I'll let ya know how the outcome is..........Thanks!!!:rolleyes: Maybe I should tell Kicks to send me a modified in exchange for my full...

Before I started changing beads and such, I went down to the local gunsmith...Right away he said you need to use the drop shim...So, I put the "C" drop shim in and there was a noticeable difference..before, when I had the gun up, I saw to much barrel..But now, things seem to be right there...Now, the choke question...I notified Kicks about the High flyer Full Choke tube that I was shooting...they said I shouldn't have a pattern problem with shooting #2 steel, unless it was a bad tube...My factory tube i shoot what benelli recommends and that is the modified...I'm glad you guys give good advice....I grew up shooting an 870 all my life and hit had no shims and only one bead...I'll let ya know how the outcome is..........Thanks!!!:rolleyes: Maybe I should tell Kicks to send me a modified in exchange for my full...

I guess I assumed that you had the gun shimmed properly and it was shooting high and left. Hopefully the shimming will do the trick. Keep us informed.

Well, the test is complete....I found that the Kicks High Flyer Full Choke tube is partially the problem along with the gun not being shimmed for drop.....The best results I had was with my factory modified choke tube....It is still shooting alittle bit to the left and just a tad high....But, putting the modified tube in really made a difference...Guess I will just have to aim a tad lower...:p

Well, the test is complete....I found that the Kicks High Flyer Full Choke tube is partially the problem along with the gun not being shimmed for drop.....The best results I had was with my factory modified choke tube....It is still shooting alittle bit to the left and just a tad high....But, putting the modified tube in really made a difference...Guess I will just have to aim a tad lower...:p

I like my gun where it shoots high so I can see the bird when I shoot it. I would set it where the you put the bead touching the bottom of the bird, not where you have to cover the bird with the bead.

If you put the thickest shim in and it still shoots high, try putting the Nova bead in. You have the bead so you really have nothing to lose. It will make the point of impact lower because of the size. If you want it to shoot where you point it may be all that is needed. Good luck...

ok, everybody.....I decided to shoot a couple more rounds today......This is what we did...We put an EZHIT sight on it and took the rear pin out...this really dropped the POI. the gunsmith explained to me that nobody looks at the rear bead anyways and most eye contact is with the bird.....I also shot from a bench..These are my results.....At, 35 yards, the pattern is now "dead center" with no holes..The best load I found that shoots thru my benelli SBEII is 3" #3.... There is alot of holes in the 3 1/2" shell...we also slowed the speed down, so no more "fast stuff".....No excuses for missing this year...... I did fire a 3 1/2" BB Winchester Expert for goose hunting....Good, but not great....:D

I like my gun where it shoots high so I can see the bird when I shoot it. I would set it where the you put the bead touching the bottom of the bird, not where you have to cover the bird with the bead.

that's one of my favorite parts about my benelli is that it shoots allitle high so i can see the bead and target or bird rather than covering with the barrel with my 870