SBEII Shooting High and to the Left

DU4ME2

that's one of my favorite parts about my benelli is that it shoots a little high so i can see the bead and target or bird rather than covering with the barrel with my 870

Some like to float the target above the bead, and some don't. I think it depends on what you started with. I grew up hunting ruffed grouse, in heavy cover with whatever gun I could get my hands on. There was, and still is, not much time to think about aiming below the bird. You pretty much point and shoot as quick as possible, before it's out of sight. If a person started out trap shooting, pheasant, or duck hunting with a gun that was set to shoot 12'' higher than point of aim, I believe you would be comfortable shooting in that manner. IMHO if its close enough to "cover" with the bead, it will go down. If a lead is needed then you see the target, and the lead. Moot point. Each to his own, whichever you prefer..

Some like to float the target above the bead, and some don't. I think it depends on what you started with. I grew up hunting ruffed grouse, in heavy cover with whatever gun I could get my hands on. There was, and still is, not much time to think about aiming below the bird. You pretty much point and shoot as quick as possible, before it's out of sight. If a person started out trap shooting, pheasant, or duck hunting with a gun that was set to shoot 12'' higher than point of aim, I believe you would be comfortable shooting in that manner. IMHO if its close enough to "cover" with the bead, it will go down. If a lead is needed then you see the target, and the lead. Moot point. Each to his own, whichever you prefer..

I think it is better to start out with a gun set up to shoot under the bird. It is hard to break yourself from covering the bird, but my scores went up when I got used to a high POI gun. Being able to see what you shoot helps because birds and clays can sink just enough to miss sometimes.

I think it is better to start out with a gun set up to shoot under the bird. It is hard to break yourself from covering the bird, but my scores went up when I got used to a high POI gun. Being able to see what you shoot helps because birds and clays can sink just enough to miss sometimes.

I don't disagree at all. 40 some years ago, none of the guns were set up that way, except for the trap grades, with a raised rib and high comb, so that you could float the target. The rest were field grade, which is what most hunted with. I have no problem with a gun that shoots high, as long as every one that you own shoots the same way, or you will have problems.

I don't disagree at all. 40 some years ago, none of the guns were set up that way, except for the trap grades, with a raised rib and high comb, so that you could float the target. The rest were field grade, which is what most hunted with. I have no problem with a gun that shoots high, as long as every one that you own shoots the same way, or you will have problems.

The only exception being your turkey shotguns, I have my camo 870 supermag set up to shoot right where i point, I couldn't get consistent results with a high POI while holding the gun stationary, but I got better results with a high POI on my wing and clay guns.

The only exception being your turkey shotguns, I have my camo 870 supermag set up to shoot right where i point, I couldn't get consistent results with a high POI while holding the gun stationary, but I got better results with a high POI on my wing and clay guns.

I agree that a dedicated trap gun should have a high point of aim. That is a given. I also agree that a turkey gun should shoot where it is pointed. As far as the winged game, you have to do what works best for you. It is like follow through. Find the way that works for you and stick with it. You can't keep changing and be consistent, and being consistent is what it's all about. Good luck...

now i am having the same issue with shooting high and to the left but i want to pattern it again to be sure and this was with the full or mod benelli choke so ill find out tonight the guy watching thought i moved but i dont know if not i hope i dont need to send it to benelli Italy is a long ways away to send a gun:confused:, but i started dove hunting today and that is a load of fun nothing beats duck hunting for me but this was fun to catch those things i ended up with three not a whole lotta brds but quite a few and i had perfect clean kills with my kicks high flyer mod choke that thing works perfect but im worried its the barrel shooting to the left :(