Benelli Newbie

Guest McDaddy

Guest McDaddy

I have had the Benelli's on my wish list for some time but could not pull the trigger (no pun intended) due to cost and model choice. I took the plunge and bought a new M1 from a buddy that never shot it (because he didn't like black guns). $550 got it in my safe. So is there any secrets I need to know about the M1 vs the new fangled stuff. I am aware of the comfortech recoil system; however, I have been shooting O/U's for 30 years so I am use to recoil. I look forward to the insight on the forum. Any information is appreciated. By the way, I am a HS principal and school starts tomorrow...wish me luck!

Mc

Welcome and enjoy your new toy... There is one inherent problem with the Benelli line of shotguns. They are a bit like rabbits. You bring one home and before long there are two. then three and so on. Nip it in the bud, Mc !! Or before long, you will be like the rest of us, working for our habit, neglecting the wife, kids, and dog. Next you'll be selling the old stand by o/u for a new camo SBE ll. and so on down the line. So be careful, it creeps up on you like an old pair of underwear, and then Pow, your hooked. Don't say you weren't warned.. It's my job!!

Edited by hognutz

Welcome McDaddy,

Yeah, you're one of us now. Your tin foil hat and decoder ring should arrive in the mail this week. Make sure you put the hat on right away. :D

Seriously though, You got a great deal on your M1. Enjoy!, and let us know what you think after you take it out blasting.

Take Care

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

Guest McDaddy

You guys are great! I understand the rabbit theory as my sons and I started with one German Shorthair and now we have 20...thank goodness one has become a professional dog trainer (website to follow after 5 posts). Anyway, thanks and I look forward to the great info.

The gun feels great. It has the 24" barrel which seems a little short but I'll deal with it. Also it's marked H&K...does that help or take away from the gun. Sorry to be so ingnorant with the brand. I've notice on the M2 that it is not maked this way.

Also it's marked H&K...does that help or take away from the gun. Sorry to be so ingnorant with the brand. I've notice on the M2 that it is not maked this way.

That's because it was made back when H&K was the sole distributor of the Benelli brand shotguns in the US... from the mid 1980's thru 1994.

Benelli terminated the relationship and has been in their own US facilities since that time.

To an H&K collector, it might be a plus, to others, it means little to nothing... at least that's my take, and I'm a "steel" H&K handgun collector.

C

I have had the Benelli's on my wish list for some time but could not pull the trigger (no pun intended) due to cost and model choice. I took the plunge and bought a new M1 from a buddy that never shot it (because he didn't like black guns). $550 got it in my safe. So is there any secrets I need to know about the M1 vs the new fangled stuff. I am aware of the comfortech recoil system; however, I have been shooting O/U's for 30 years so I am use to recoil. I look forward to the insight on the forum. Any information is appreciated. By the way, I am a HS principal and school starts tomorrow...wish me luck!

Mc

As far as secrets go, break the gun in with some hunting loads. This will help loosen it up, if in fact it needs it. Keep it cleaned and oiled. Lubrication is a wonderful thing! It won't be long before you make this your go to gun.. Enjoy!

First of all, good job on the purchase price. I just traded in a camo M1 on a new SBEII and I got $600 for the trade. Only one suggestion, the M1 kicks impressively with 3" steel loads for ducks. If this is too much for you, immediately replace the recoil pad with a LimbSaver. I have added a LimbSaver to both my 20 ga SuperSport and my 12 ga SBEII and I love the difference. Beware of the rabbit effect, my SBEII is my third Benelli in the last year (four total over the last 6 years).

Guest McDaddy

I don't want to start a debate on recoil pads but is the Pachmyr Decelerator as good as the Limbsaver. As I will be using this gun primarily for upland game, the limbsaver seems a little sticky. I am worried it will stick to my vest or jacket when I shoulder the gun...any thoughts?

I don't want to start a debate on recoil pads but is the Pachmyr Decelerator as good as the Limbsaver. As I will be using this gun primarily for upland game, the limbsaver seems a little sticky. I am worried it will stick to my vest or jacket when I shoulder the gun...any thoughts?

I've been checking out recoil pads, and one of the gunsmiths I use (he has installed hundreds) pointed out the issues with the Limbsaver (it will take a permanent set if deformed for one). So now I'm going with the Decelerator.