MY Benelli and Recoil

GUGGISBERG

I notice the recoil on my SBEII when I'm shooting targets, but I don't even know it's there on live game.

Here are a few options to consider for reducing felt recoil:

1. Barrel Porting

2. Lenghten Forcing Cone

3. Recoil Reducers (stock and forearm)

Each option has pros and cons and there will always be debate regarding their necessity and effectiveness.

Do your own research, talk to a gunsmith, join a gym, and make an informed decision... or sell the SBE.

I added the recoil reducer to the stock of my SBE - it helps some.

You can try all the other methods mentioned.

One thought, before you sell the SBE, shoot a buddy's pump or O/U - you will then feel what recoil really is.

You may want to think about a LH SBE II, but that may not be good for you either.

You are only left with a gas-op semi-auto.

I shoot and like the Browning Gold Series. Some folks like the Beretta semi-autos.

Good luck,

mudhen - CA

Porting will not help recoil, it helps control barrel jump. Lengthening the forcing cone may cause the gun to not cycle properly and some of the Benelli barrels are chrome lined and hard to work on. Recoil reducers in the stock and forend or replace with cap type reducer. Also you may want to try a Trapdude Gooey or Super Gooey recoil pad, they are real soft. Limbsaver makes a recoil pad with tiny air cylinders inside it which also is quite soft. Good luck, hope this info helps.--GB

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO..I JUST WANTED YOU ALL TO KNOW IM NOT A SISSY..I CAME TO MY BLACK EAGLE FROM A 10 GA. BROWNING PUMP..THE RECOIL IS WORSE ON THE SBE ...THANKS GUYS ILL TRY THE LIMB SAVER FIRST..I HAVE A NOVA AND I WAS HOPING THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING LIKE THE STOCK WEIGHTS FOR THE SBE THANKS HONKER

THANKS FELLOWS.. I CAME TO THE SEB FROM A 10 GA BROWNING PUMP AND ALSO OWN A NOVA IN 12 GA SO I AM NOT A STRANGER TO RECOIL..THE SBE IS EXCESSIVE.. I WILL TRY YOUR SUGESTIONS ..WILL START WITH THE LIMB SAVER... THE STOCK WEIGHT DEVICE ON THE NOVA IS VERY SUCCESSFUL SO MAYBE ILL TRY THAT THANKS HONKER

Noone is calling you a sissy. In fact I agree with you 100%. I own a BPS 10ga.

I own two SBE II's that I love. I also own a couple of gas semi-auto's, a couple of pumps, and two SxS's

Hands down the 10ga kicks less than all of them. Plus the patterns/pattern density is a million times better. I have a Gold 10 on order.

Try the limbsaver and you might also want to look at the mercury recoil reducer to go in the stock.

[ 01-05-2005, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: BLKLABMAN ]

Originally posted by BLKLABMAN:

Noone is calling you a sissy. In fact I agree with you 100%. I own a BPS 10ga.

I own two SBE II's that I love. I also own a couple of gas semi-auto's, a couple of pumps, and two SxS's

Hands down the 10ga kicks less than all of them. Plus the patterns/pattern density is a million times better. I have a Gold 10 on order.

Try the limbsaver and you might also want to look at the mercury recoil reducer to go in the stock.

For what it's worth, I adapted the mercury recoil reducer in the stock and limbsaver pad on my SBE and it made a major difference in shooting 3 1/2" steel BB's and hevi-shot 2's for geese.

Then, Birdog (from this site) got me into re-loading hevi-shot and I was able to knock the size down to 3" and cut my costs by about 60% on buying factory 3 1/2" hevi-shot. When I compared these new loads to my dad's stock, new SBEII, I honestly can't tell the differnce between the guns with regards to recoil. In fact, my brother thinks my modified SBE kicks less with this load than the new SBEII.