Benelli M2

custy1982

I just recently purchased the m2 with the comfortech 26 inch barrel in the max 4d camo and I broke it in just like the manual says 100 rds of hunting loads, federal 1 1/8 of 8s and I noticed right off the bat it had alot more kick then what i thought. I understand that this gun wasnt designed as a trap gun or that sorts, which is fine i wanted a field gun. I just thought that this had alot more bite then what it should. I talked to the benelli rep and he looked at me like i was high or something. Is there something that i'm missing? :confused:

The M2 shotgun is a semi auto recoil action shotgun that compresses a big spring in the bolt to toss the bolt back once the shotgun as stoped/slowed down moving aft. In my personal opion, I dont think there is very much if any recoild reduction in the shotgun by the action its self. Not shure what kind of dram loads you where using, but the shot size and payload sounds like trap/sporting clay loads. Enjoy your shotgun as its a nice one.

Jesse

It's the nature of the beast. Being that it is recoil operated, it does not bleed off any of the gases to operate the ejection. The gun is also on the light side so that may add to the kick. Unless you do trap shoot with it, there won't be many days when you put a hundred or two rounds through it. You'll get used to it. Shoot straight..

I noticed right off the bat it had alot more kick then what i thought. I just thought that this had alot more bite then what it should. I talked to the benelli rep and he looked at me like i was high or something. Is there something that i'm missing? :confused:

Well the explaination I can come up with is that you were totally sucked in by benellis good marketing and so your expectations were off. The recoil comparison charts look great, and they are probably accurate, but if you read the marketing long enough when you shoulder a benelli you are going to expect the recoil of a .410 and be severely disappointed. The rep and some forum members around here give that look because there have been lots of people that have got on here and basically said "I don't get it, the gun has recoil?"

That said I have had my M2 for a while now and you will get used to it. I use mine mostly for trap/skeet (pesky short hunting seasons...) and initially I thought it had more recoil than what I thought it should. But a few thousand rounds later and I can shoot all day without any soreness. You will end up liking it, just give it a thousand rounds to work its magic :p.

True story...not making fun...but the first time i shot a M2 was my buddy's girlfriends 12 ga field which he had taken the stock and forearm and painted them a hot pink camo pattern. He had one of those fancy screw in choke/muzzle break combo thingys installed and it seriously felt like a .22. Needless to say i ran out and bought one and what do you know, mine kicked a ton more. I would like to think that the pink camo wasnt taming the kick....but there is something to be said for those muzzle breaks if you find yourself flinching when you go to pull the trigger. Or you can do what i did and put 1000 rounds through it and just get used to it....its still a sweet shotgun

He probably looked at you funny because you where saying it kicked hard with light loads. If you want a light kicking gun, try a beretta w/ kick off. Talk about light kick. The Benelli is recoil operated, but it uses the after effects of the recoil to cycle, not the direct effects to cycle it, therefore the action might as well be a pump in terms of recoil reduction. The comfortech does make a difference with turkey loads, but not much I can feel with light loads compared to a pump of similar weight. The fact that it doesn't have the gas system weighing it down, makes it lighter, which makes it kick harder. Shoot a gun before you buy it based on hype. I bought one because it is lighter, simpler and fits me right. When I shot a 12 gauge the first time, which was the first center fire I ever shot, it scared me more than it kicked me, and the surprise that it went bang and gave me a shove and didn't pop and have no recoil is what scared me.