2009 new photo album

kafasi

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mudhen, are you still shooting that silver or does the maxus get all the rice duties?

"What happened to your Maxus son?"

"Blown up sir!"

The Maxus is dead - back to the Silver and SBE II - SBE II for smaller shot, Silver for larger steel shot :)

I'll likely sell the Maxus when it gets back from the Browning Service Department, just can't trust a gun that can't last even part of one season, can't travel with it, can't loan it out, can't plan any hunts with it :(

....sorry to hear that, but I laughed a little by the way you explained it....lol. I have been reading on them and some say that they are cheaply made. I've never seen one in person. I was considering trying one, but I've decided I want an M2 .20 ga instead....Did you break the Silver a while back too?

....sorry to hear that, but I laughed a little by the way you explained it....lol. I have been reading on them and some say that they are cheaply made. I've never seen one in person. I was considering trying one, but I've decided I want an M2 .20 ga instead....Did you break the Silver a while back too?

The bolt handle broke on the Silver after a few hunts. They sent me a new one saying it wouldn't happen again, it hasn't. The DuraTouch finish started peeling within hours, and the camo finish starting fading a few hunts later. Mechanically, it is sound so far, and I kill ducks with it.

I think the issue with the Maxus is the use of lightweight parts. I'm just not sure that shaving metal off parts on a gun that is designed to shoot 3.5" shells is that great of an idea. Some ignorant people might confuse lightweight parts with cheap parts. Good parts are good parts, lightweight or not. Same for bad parts being bad parts....

In my case, it started to fail to cycle on occasion right away. Then recently, while cleaning, I noticed the spring in the gas piston was cracked in several places. I don't know when the spring broke, or if it is related to the failure to cycle, but Browning wanted the whole gun sent back for inspection and repair.

I was crushing birds with the Maxus. If they can repair it and convince me to keep it, I'll keep shooting it. But I can't help but keep the Silver and/or SBE II nearby at all times.....

THat is exactly what I read on duckhunting chat. A guy who has several SBE, SBE2, etc, said that same thing. He said light, cheap parts. He also was having cycling issues....Have you tried an Extrema2 yet?

With the Xtrema II being discontinued, no, I have no plans on trying it.

I might consider it's replacement, the A400 though :)

Thats a shame your Maxus gave you so much grief, lets see if Browning can keep you happy.

I have a SX2, and now after a couple of seasons am seeing the duratouch start to peel off so I will try to send the stock back and see if I can make a warranty issue out of it. Im not holding my breath on this one.

Thats a shame your Maxus gave you so much grief, lets see if Browning can keep you happy.

I have a SX2, and now after a couple of seasons am seeing the duratouch start to peel off so I will try to send the stock back and see if I can make a warranty issue out of it. Im not holding my breath on this one.

I doubt they will care, Browning told me to pound sand over the DuraTouch/camo issue, and that was on a 2-3 month old Silver :(

But, maybe Winchester will react differently....