Chokes and BIG Slugs

tyson129

What are your opinions about big slugs and chokes? I'm going to be trying out Brenneke Black Magic Slugs out of my Super Nova. Should I just go without a choke...Cause that's what I'm thinking because this slug is 600 gr! Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I guess no one had an opinion, its alright I found out some info on my own. For anyone who has ever questioned what you can use Brenneke slugs with here is a link from their homepage.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html

I guess I will try out a few different chokes to see what gives me the best results. If any of you have hands on experience I would love to hear it. :cool:

Hi Tyson:

I have heard that if you do not have a Rifled Choke Tube you would use an Improved Cylinder choke out of a Smooth Bore. The barrel I had made for my 1100 is Stamped CYL, and I can put 5 Brenneke Mags in a small pie plate @ 100.

I have also heard never to use a full choke tube as it can possibly blow, but I have not verified this but it sounds reasonable.

Have fun.

T

Before I bought a rifled barrel slug gun(20 yrs ago) I tried everything w/barrels and different slugs. My results were no restriction worked best(cyl.). I also had best luck w/Active slug which, by name, are no longer made. I think they are made under a different name. My end results was I shot a 1100 with a 30 in full choke barrel(no tubes) which I had a gunsmith take the choke out. He bored the end to the barrel dia.. The gun would shoot under 5" five shot 100 yds. as long as bore was clean. If the gun was at all dirty it would spit all over. Wad material would build quick.

What are your opinions about big slugs and chokes? I'm going to be trying out Brenneke Black Magic Slugs out of my Super Nova. Should I just go without a choke...Cause that's what I'm thinking because this slug is 600 gr! Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May I ask what you are shooting at?

OO, that why you want 600 grainers.

Yeah. Those should def do the trick :). Hey do any of you guys have any advice on the best rifled choke for a SuperNova? I'm going to pick up a Carlson' rifled choke because I have enjoyed their products but would really like to know if any of you have tried any others for the SuperNova. I will be @ Cabelas tomorrow morning by 9 a.m. so if anyone could get back to me tonight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Anyone else who was wondering about other Benelli Rifled choke options you can also get a Hastings Paradox Sabot Discarding Choke (5") from:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=144841&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=655

And if you wanted a Permanent Rifled Choke with 8 Other Settings you could get a Poly-Choke Adjustable Shotgun Choke (3-5 day Turnaround):

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

Edited by tyson129