Super Nova break in question

quack

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and yesterday I purchased my first Benelli. I bought a Super Nova with the max-4 camo finish to use as my dedicated waterfowl gun. I have shot a BPS for years and love it, but I wanted to get away from the shiny finish and get something easier to disassemble and clean after being exposed to moisture and dust from cattails.

I have not even fired this gun yet but I must say that I am a bit disappointed right out of the box. After cleaning and properly oiling the gun the action is still incredibly rough. The gun pumps very hard and wants to bind if you don't slam it back hard.

My question is this: Although I realize that some break in will be needed are these guns typically this rough out of the box and do they come out of it and start operating smoothly?

I plan on running a four boxes of shells through it in the next few days on some clays and then dove hunting with it next week. Duck season isn't far away and I want a smooth and reliable gun on opening day. I've still got my tried and true BPS but I'm hoping I won't have to leave my new $500 gun at home. Any advice on breaking these things in would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if there is a magic answer to your question. I have a Nova and a SuperNova. Both were a little "clunky" out of the box' and still are. I wouldn't consider either to be rough. I think if you run some shells through it, maybe even a box of big stuff, it may loosen up to your liking.This thing is brand new and probably won't be as smooth as a gun with thousands of rounds through it. I do smell what you are stepping in though, and agree that it should be good to go ,"out of the box". You have some time to break it in, so have some fun and go shoot it! Keep it well oiled,i.e. the action, the bolt rails etc. I am sure that in the end, you will like the gun... There are some SuperNova Gurus out there that can give you more hands on advice. Stay tuned... Keep us posted.... By the way, welcome to the Forum and to the world of Benelli.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and yesterday I purchased my first Benelli. I bought a Super Nova with the max-4 camo finish to use as my dedicated waterfowl gun. I have shot a BPS for years and love it, but I wanted to get away from the shiny finish and get something easier to disassemble and clean after being exposed to moisture and dust from cattails.

I have not even fired this gun yet but I must say that I am a bit disappointed right out of the box. After cleaning and properly oiling the gun the action is still incredibly rough. The gun pumps very hard and wants to bind if you don't slam it back hard.

My question is this: Although I realize that some break in will be needed are these guns typically this rough out of the box and do they come out of it and start operating smoothly?

I plan on running a four boxes of shells through it in the next few days on some clays and then dove hunting with it next week. Duck season isn't far away and I want a smooth and reliable gun on opening day. I've still got my tried and true BPS but I'm hoping I won't have to leave my new $500 gun at home. Any advice on breaking these things in would be greatly appreciated.

Cycle the action back and forth about 200 times. If it still continues or gets worse, stop and disassemble and try again. Come to think of it, you might want to disassemble it first to make sure assembled correct.

I have 2 novas and and Supernova and none of them have had that problem. I hope a little breakin does the trick.

In addition to what has already been offered here, I might suggest this as a last resort if nothing else. There should be two allen screws located on the forend (one on each side). I have noticed that either tightening or loosening these screws (on my SuperNova Tactical) has a noticeable affect on how the cycling action "feels."

So, if nothing else works, maybe give it a shot. Just dont overdo it one way or the other. I suggest using no more than 1/4 to 1/2 increments when turning the screws.

I hope you get it sorted out...the SuperNova is generally considered to be a fine weapon.

Edited by shotgunNoob

My SuperNova is very smooth, I would reccomend shooting at least 100 rounds at clays like you said when you go out and when you get home take it apart clean and oil it again. You should notice quite a bit of difference even though 100 rounds isnt that much but the use will help break it in. Remember this gun was built like a tank so it has a lot different feel than other shotguns (at least some I have shot) but once you get used to it I think your perspective will change. The only thing that pisses me off about the SuperNova is the slight rattle that occurs from the wiggle of the pump but that's pretty minor, and its all worth it knowing you can throw it around and drag it through **** and back without any worries. Best of luck and let us know if your gun breaks in nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the update on this gun. Out of the box it was terrible to say the least. The gun would actually get stuck when you pumped it if you didn't slam the forend back with a lot of force. I have two friends with identical guns and both of them and the store models I looked at were smooth and worked as they should.

I disassembled the gun and found the forend piece to be the culprit. Bottom line is the forend mold was deffective. One side was straight and the other was badly distorted and uneven. You could see it easily with the naked I and putting a straight edge against the one side showed that it bulged inward over 1/16th of an inch.

In my opinion this should have easily been caught at the factory and it shows piss poor quality control in this one case. That being said, I purchased this gun because I have tried other ones and liked them and I have always heard good things about the quality of Benelli products. I guess I just got a dud that slipped through the cracks.

I'm sure Benelli would have warrantied this no problem. In the end I chose to fix it myself. The problem is I bought this gun to use it for goose and duck hunting and goose season started last week. I bought the gun to use it, not wait several weeks for warranty repairs when hunting season has already started. I ended up using several sanding blocks and some 220, 400, and 600 grit paper to sand the inner part of the forend down to a smooth and straight edge. I probably voided any chance of warranty but the repair worked and the gun now works as it should. After several hours careful work I was able to use the gun on several hunts. I can now say that I am very impressed with this shotgun and I think I will enjoy shooting it for a long time.

Glad to see that you got it fixed. It just goes to show that it's always "something". At least you had the know how to diagnose the problem and then to fix it. Probably did save a month on the turn around. Never should have made it out of the factory, but you know how that goes. Usually I end up with the bad rabbit... I know you will enjoy the gun for a long time to come. Good luck on the waterfowl hunts. Boom, Boom, Boom...

Hello mate.

I have a SN and think its the dogs bollocks!

I have heard on different forums that the bloody forend rattle is to allow it to function when full of mud etc, etc.

Urban legend perhaps, but what isn't legend, is the fact the way it points and handles, way out of it's price range!!

cheers

MoJo.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a SN and it was smooth as silk right out of the box. My son "racked it" a hundred times or so and we shot trap a few times (200 rounds or so) but it was very smooth out of the box.

I have been goose hunting a few times so far with no issues at all. Shot 3" and 3.5" with no issues. 2 3/4" trap no issues either.

What I learned today is when I changed the shim for the comb adjustment, I couldn't figure out how the heck to reattach the recoil pad (der). I read the booklet and still had no clue due to it did not say. I then put on my super duper glasses and observed some sort of glue they used to glue it on. So I assume that i have to glue it bacK.

Does anyone know what Benelli uses for an adhesive so I can get it back off without too much problem?

Hi

I get a super nova an my friends say it rattle but the only rattle i here is wind you shack the hill out of it anI shot minishells 2 3/4-3 mags an still no rattle wint phaesant 4 time the only rattle i herd was rem 870

There is some play in the SuperNova, and you will hear the clicking your friends are talking about if you have your hand on the pump and you move the pump back and forth. There is about 1/4" or less of play in mine and I am currently making a piece that stops the clicking. I would hate to loose a trophy deer because I shifted positions and my SN made the CLICK! :eek: