Cleaning Nova Pump

mattskr

Hey Everyone. I'm new to the forum and a new proud owner of a syn stock Nova Pump 12 Ga. I have one main question though. I don't have the best knowledge on how to properly clean guns, but my roommate has been helping me. I've cleaned it twice. He has some oil called Pro-Shot 1 step cleaner and lubricant, which works fine but everytime we clean brown stuff keeps coming off the outside of the barrel. I don't know if is just a lot of excess factory oil/grease, or if I'm rubbing off part of the blueing job or what!??!?

What type of oil and lube do you guys recommend for this gun?

• 4 months later...

The Brown Stuff Coming off of your barrel is more than likely rust. I own 7 firearms and grease them very generally about once a month with hoppe's #9 high viscocity/lubricant this should keep your gun well oiled and very functional. Also check your barrel(s). My Nova reciever and barrels came loaded with bear grease and i cleaned them out. If you hunt in the winter time this bear grease will freeze up and cause the gun to jam. Make sure this is cleaned out.

I'm with deerslayer, the newer Benellis seem to have a pretyt crappy finish. My Nova is from around '98 and its much nicer than my buddies newer ones. The best thing for the barrell is corrosion-x. it will really help prevent rust.

i used my nova pretty hard when duck hunting in the salt marsh at home and i never cleaned it. i just sprayed some CLP in the action and let it drip dry and she was always fine for the next hunt.

smile.gif Ok if your Nova is new, the brown stuff is what is added to weapons that will sit on a shelf waiting to be bought. Dont worry about it but I suggest a product called M-PRO7. This cleaner comes in a spray and it is Bio Friendly and wont hurt your finish. I also use the M-PRO7 CLP, Clean Lub & protect. The cleaners wont smell up your home and you dont have to worry about getn it on your outside finish which most harsh cleaners can hurt.